Sunday, January 26, 2020

A prominent veterans advocacy group is asking President Trump for an apology over his remarks on injuries suffered by U.S. troops stationed at a military base in Iraq that was hit by Iranian airstrikes earlier this month.

Comments

Offer Trump some money for an apology. That might do it.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2020-01-26 10:30 AM | Reply

Eh, those screaming snowflake Liberals at the VFW don't know what they're talking about. Tough guy Trump could take 34 TBIs by himself while running unarmed into a machine gun nest to save the burning school children.
If only those bone-spurs hadn't kept him from his true destiny.

#2 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-01-26 11:43 AM | Reply | Funny: 4

I like the ones that don't demand apologies!
--Deplorables

P.S. They knew the risks when they signed up.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-26 04:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"P.S. They knew the risks when they signed up.

#3 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Yes, and they also knew the benefits when they signed up, yet you berate veterans like me who use them -- blaming us on sucking on the government's --- and asserting taxpayers are unjustly supporting us. You've said this to directly to me more than once, and in a more general sense even more.

So why are you cool with the knowing the risks and getting killed or maimed, but not OK with them getting the benefits guaranteed to them?

#4 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 04:40 PM | Reply

"yet you berate veterans like me who use them"

No I don't.

I don't grudge your pension.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-26 04:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

blaming us on sucking on the government's ---

Again, I don't blame you for that. I blame you for obstructing others access to the ---.

Most of all, I think your a---ude that some --- suckers are more equal than others is probably the --------- thing about the person you grew up to be.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-26 04:47 PM | Reply

"'yet you berate veterans like me who use them'

No I don't."

Well maybe you don't now, but you used to.

"I merely berate your "I got mine, screw everybody else" attitude towards using government aid."

That has never been an attitude of mine. Never. And you never berated my attitude, you came right out and said we didn't deserve our benefits and we were a burden on taxpayers.

"I simply think everyone should have a similar baseline of security in retirement.

POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-01-26 04:45 PM "

Why should non veterans have a "similar baseline of security in retirement"? Veterans gave more and therefor deserve more in return.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 04:52 PM | Reply

So you for military conscription?

#8 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-01-26 04:53 PM | Reply

"Why should non veterans have a "similar baseline of security in retirement"?"

Because everyone should be secure.

"Veterans gave more and therefor deserve more in return."

Really surprised to hear you parrot "some animals are more equal than others."

I'll work on not being surprised that's mainstream right-wing thought nowadays.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-26 04:56 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-01-26 04:47 PM "

Take it up with Uncle Sam. He wrote the contract I signed that guaranteed me my GI bill, home loans, and health care. I didn't. I just signed it. If you think my expecting what is contractually guaranteed to me makes me a ------ person, oh well.

Are all these hotels and merchants (most) who give veteran's discounts ------ for doing so? Is Uncle Sam ------ for allowing me free access to all National Parks, monuments, recreational areas, etc?

#10 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 04:57 PM | Reply

So you for military conscription?
#8 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

Not exactly, but I've never been opposed to national service; just no need to limit it to armed service.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-26 04:58 PM | Reply

#9 Your post just echos your sentiment that veterans don't deserve anything different than non-vets and parallels what you said in the past that we are sucking on the government's ---.

You so glibly say, "They knew what they were getting into" but get all pissy when they reap the benefits that also go along with "They knew what they were getting into".

Again, yes -- people who sign up know what they are getting into. They also know what they are getting in return. What kind of jerk begrudges them that? Jerks like you, that's who.

#12 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 05:01 PM | Reply

""Most of all, I think your attitude that some --- suckers are more equal than others is probably the --------- thing about the person you grew up to be.

#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-01-26 04:47 PM ""

So you're a Harrison Bergeron type guy. Got it.

#13 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 05:02 PM | Reply

"Take it up with Uncle Sam. He wrote the contract I signed that guaranteed me my GI bill, home loans, and health care. I didn't. I just signed it."

The fact that the government thinks some animals are more equal than others is not an effective skirt to conceal your elitism.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-26 05:03 PM | Reply

"You are (at most) one step away from the concepts in Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers, where military service is the path to full citizenship.

POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Belief in honoring a contract makes me that? LOL

Whatever. I see I'm sliding down the snoofy rabbit hole.

Bye.

#15 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 05:07 PM | Reply

"Whatever. I see I'm sliding down the snoofy rabbit hole."

It's one where all men are created equal.
I can see why you don't want to go there.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-26 05:16 PM | Reply

"Belief in honoring a contract makes me that? LOL"

Sinec you're still hiding behind the skirts of the contract, I'll say it again:
No, it's more like, belief that no one else should get those things in the contract, is what makes you that.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-26 05:18 PM | Reply

"Sinec you're still hiding behind the skirts of the contract, I'll say it again:

POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-01-26 05:18 PM"

So do you believe everyone should have the same benefits I am getting from my job at Sprint and Transocean that were contractually guaranteed me? Why not? Why are those pensions and contracts any different than the one I signed with the military?

#18 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 05:34 PM | Reply

"It's one where all men are created equal.
I can see why you don't want to go there.

#16 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

All men are not created equal. So yeah, a Harrison Bergeron society doesn't really appeal to me. But I can see why you would want one.

#19 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 05:37 PM | Reply

Have you seen the Harrison Bergeron movie? It's the goal of the Left.

www.imdb.com

#20 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-01-26 05:43 PM | Reply

I didn't know they made a movie of it. The short story took only 10 or 15 minutes to read.

Harrison Bergeron full text

#21 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 05:45 PM | Reply

those toothless old pansies will do nothing but wring their hands and demand they be praised for something they did in the past.

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2020-01-27 02:19 AM | Reply

Just thought this thread should be brought back on topic.

That is, Pres Trump's apparent dismissal and trivialization of the injuries suffered at his command.

#23 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-01-27 03:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#10 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

I'm curious now... what guarantees did they give you when you signed up? Can you upload a copy of the contract? Did it guarantee that the GI bill would never be repealed? Did it guarantee a minimum level of care for healthcare from the VA? Did it guarantee you a pension? Or are you just ASSUME that these things were "guaranteed" because they were current law at the time that you signed up?

#24 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2020-01-27 11:49 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have refused to join the VFW, even though I am eligible, because when I got home in late 1970, and showed up at the local VFW Post I was mocked by the WW2 and Korean vets for participating in an embarrassing war. Now that their membership is getting grey and dying off, they're begging me to join. Sure.

#25 | Posted by john47 at 2020-01-27 12:28 PM | Reply

That's brutal stuff John.

The local VFW seemed to shift from being run by veterans of World War II and Korea to Vietnam veterans real fast.

If there was a situation like yours the Vietnam veterans must have engaged in a hostile takeover by virtue of joining in Mass.

#26 | Posted by Tor at 2020-01-27 01:48 PM | Reply

"So do you believe everyone should have the same benefits I am getting from my job at Sprint and Transocean that were contractually guaranteed me?"

I can't speak to the specifics, but basically, yes. Retirement security belongs in the Social Contract.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-27 03:26 PM | Reply

"All men are not created equal."

*yawn*

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-27 03:29 PM | Reply

#25 | POSTED BY JOHN47 AT 2020-01-27 12:28 PM

Did you find a similar experience at the American Legion?

#29 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-28 07:09 AM | Reply

Independent97,

#25 | POSTED BY JOHN47 AT 2020-01-27 12:28 PM

Did you find a similar experience at the American Legion?

#29 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-28 07:09 AM

The only veteran's organization I ever joined was the campus veteran's club when I returned to school in 1971. We were pretty rowdy.

#30 | Posted by john47 at 2020-01-28 10:08 AM | Reply

There is a difference between being created equal, and being treated equally because of your life choices. Everyone is created equally. But as you move through life, you are opening and closing doors. Having chosen to join the Army, I opened the door to secure and stable employment and retirement, and closed the door to making a ton of money. Do I not like money? If o course I like money, but I needed a different path. Those that don't have that kind of security, having made choices landing them there. That's not ALWAYS the case, mental and physical defects or injuries/illnesses for example, but overall we are a product of our choices. No one "deserves" anything except what you work for. I didn't finish my army career, I got out after 10 years, but that was my choice. I don't deserve a pension or any other benefit because of my choices.....

#31 | Posted by ABH at 2020-01-28 02:14 PM | Reply

"There is a difference between being created equal, and being treated equally because of your life choices."

^
I love it when right-wingers explain how "equal protection under the law" doesn't apply to people who make the wrong choices.

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-28 05:27 PM | Reply

With regard to "parasitical veterans sucking at the government's tiddy..."

I enlisted in the USAF to avoid becoming a rifleman in Vietnam. As a college dropout, that was my future. If I had been drafted I might have been hurt or killed; instead, I never even contracted an STD!

The point I and other veterans here are trying to make is we had NO control over our future, and only a winning ticket in the safe-hurt-dead lottery saved us.

As a result of winning THAT lottery I received a wonder education with the Vietnam GI Bill (BBA, MBA from a UW-WI alphabet school) and got on with my life after the interruption.

#33 | Posted by john47 at 2020-01-29 09:55 AM | Reply