Monday, January 27, 2020

Attorneys general in 20 states and the District of Columbia filed a lawsuit Thursday challenging a federal regulation that could allow blueprints for making guns on 3D printers to be posted on the internet.

Comments

I saw a demonstration of a 3D printed gun. I would not shoot one.

As far as blocking the blueprints? How silly. That would like trying to block a twitter post that has been broadcast.

#1 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 11:41 PM | Reply

@#1 ... I saw a demonstration of a 3D printed gun. I would not shoot one. ...

Your sanity in this area may not be as widespread as you may think.

... As far as blocking the blueprints? How silly. ...

I agree, so far as the distribution. However, it needs to be unlawful if anyone is caught distributing those blueprints and needs to be accused of a crime. You cannot accuse someone of a crime if they are not breaking any laws.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-01-27 12:10 AM | Reply

Trump is just making his next concession to the NRA, to help to repay them (and their Russian benefactors) for their help in the 2016 election and as a down-payment toward their 2020 effort.

OCU

#3 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-01-27 01:04 AM | Reply

First, the data files are on the Dark Web. If you are inclined to want to make a piece of junk. Any machine shop can punch out a machine gun if the demand is there. Hell, the Jews in Israel built UZIs and did that back when there was an arms embargo. Hint, we have a lot more machine shops, steel stock and IC machines. If Singer Sewing Machine can make M1911 pistols, on demand, how will you stop some highly motivated individuals from making a few thousand AKs?

#4 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-01-27 06:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

How much does a 3d printer cost that can print gun barrels?

#5 | Posted by Sniper at 2020-01-27 11:27 AM | Reply

#5 | Posted by Sniper, It can be done with metal medium, but it must be heat treated and finished before use.

#6 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-01-27 12:46 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by docnjo Cheaper and faster using a lath and a line borer. Machine steel must be heat treated before launching bullets.

#7 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-01-27 12:49 PM | Reply

The printers needed to make the guns can cost from $5,000 to $600,000, according to Vice News. The quality of plastic matters, too: An early design printed by federal agents shattered after one shot. A second gun, made from a higher grade resin, stayed intact.Jul 23, 2018
www.usatoday.com story tech nation-now 2018/07/23 3-d-pri...
3D printing guns: 'The downloadable gun' becomes available ...

How many here really believe that this is a serious problem???

As realistic as the belief [by non savy anti-gunners] years ago that Glock could not be found by a metal detector due to BS line in Die Hard 2:

'Glock pistols can very easily be picked up in a metal detector because 83.7% by weight is steel and the "plastic" parts are a dense polymer known as "Polymer 2", which is radio-opaque and is therefore visible to security equipment, even though it won't set off a metal detector.'
diehard.fandom.com wiki Glock_7
Glock 7 | Die Hard Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

#8 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-01-27 02:14 PM | Reply

@#8 ... he printers needed to make the guns can cost from $5,000 to $600,000 ...

What is the cost of the materials to print each gun, how long does it take for a gun to be printed, and what can a printed gun be sold for?

Once those numbers are known, then it just takes some simple math to determine whether or not it would be profitable for some enterprising person to start printing and selling them.

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-01-27 02:59 PM | Reply

You guys don't really think these 20 states are going to outlaw ideas do you?

#10 | Posted by LesWit at 2020-01-27 03:16 PM | Reply

If you are ready to kill someone, I don't think ROI is a leading indicator.

#11 | Posted by Ben_Berkkake at 2020-01-27 03:30 PM | Reply

@#11 ... If you are ready to kill someone, I don't think ROI is a leading indicator. ...

In the scenario I described, the individual printing and selling the gun would not be the one using it.

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-01-27 03:43 PM | Reply

That isn't the point of 3d printed guns. The point is being able to defend yourself from whomever at a moment's notice. If you've got a printed AR15 and can get a hundred rounds through it before failure, you're in good shape...and you shouldn't have to explain yourself.

You can buy a printer that will put a hundred rounds through it today for less than two grand.

#13 | Posted by Ben_Berkkake at 2020-01-27 04:09 PM | Reply

How much does a 3d printer cost that can print gun barrels?

This has been solved. it doesn't require a 3d printer.

#14 | Posted by Ben_Berkkake at 2020-01-27 04:11 PM | Reply

"that could allow blueprints for making guns on 3D printers to be posted on the internet."

Little late for that.

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-01-27 04:20 PM | Reply

13/Ben,
That may be how some would use it (why wouldn't they print one up and have it handy before the need arises), many others would make them and sell them on the black market. Basically throw away guns.

I don't have the answers and I don't know enough about the debate, but the idea that anyone (criminals) can make or buy one of these with ease and they're not traceable (I assume) would be troubling.

#16 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2020-01-27 04:21 PM | Reply

Guns are easy to make for any machinist with mediocre skills. Anybody can buy 80% lowers by the dozen and finish them with with a drill press. Printing is a lot more work.

#17 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-01-27 05:04 PM | Reply

"Printing is a lot more work."

#17 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG AT 2020-01-27 05:04 PM | FLAG: ..... and cost. SO, very little chance the anyone in their right mind would go that route.

#18 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-01-28 05:23 PM | Reply

Actually, printing is all the young generation can do. They can't write in cursive. If they dont have a keyboard, their hands fall off from printing so much.

After walking to school, in snow above my head, uphill both ways, I wrote everything by hand. Typing wasnt allowed. All in cursive. Pages upon pages.

I dread reading scholarship applications every year. Hint to applicants: dont use the computer to proofread or fix grammar. Learn it so you can fix it. Computers are as stupid as you are.

#19 | Posted by Petrous at 2020-01-28 05:26 PM | Reply

"They can't write in cursive."

What's the point of writing in cursive?
When was the last time a job wanted someone to write in cursive?
Cake decorator?

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-28 05:29 PM | Reply

" I dread reading scholarship applications every year. Hint to applicants: dont use the computer to proofread or fix grammar."

I was the go-to person to proofread several friends' law school application essays. Wound up asking them if they would mind my rewriting them myself. They got into good schools. One dropped out after a year to become a social worker. One is now in entertainment law. The other two are in finance.

That said, I myself can barely remember how to write in cursive anymore and I used to have fairly decent handwriting. Now if I have to write at all it's print. And more than a paragraph or two my hand starts to ache. I'm a pretty good typist though. Less so with my thumbs on my phone like now.

#21 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-01-28 06:03 PM | Reply

--I wrote everything by hand. Typing wasnt allowed. All in cursive. Pages upon pages.

Yep. Midterms and finals in college all written by hand. Manual typewriter for reports and essays. Can't imagine this current generation of imbeciles being able to cope with it. Just the painful process of correction with whiteout and retyping would cause them to cry. That difficulty is a virtue, because it requires one to think, before putting words to paper.

#22 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-01-28 06:05 PM | Reply

"Just the painful process of correction with whiteout and retyping would cause them to cry."

That crap was the worst. I think you forget what that felt like, having to rewrite half a paper because you needed to fix something that ruined all the formatting that followed.

#23 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-01-28 06:29 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY MSGT AT 2020-01-28 05:23 PM | FLAG:

I don't know about cost anymore. A good printer can be had for less than a good lathe.

#24 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-01-28 07:09 PM | Reply

Remember the manual typrwriter that weight a ton and you typed by slamming the keys?

I learned on one. First time I was typing in a room with an electric one, I swore they feared I'd break it.

Whats crazy? My folks still own one and the ink is still on the ribbon. I hated electric typewriters and those cheap ribbons. Constant replacements.

I wonder when the post office will ask me to stop using cursive on my envelopes. I still write in cursive regularly. I prefer to write by hand before typing it.

I hope our military code breakers can read cursive.

#25 | Posted by Petrous at 2020-01-28 09:54 PM | Reply

yawn.... more laws to make liberals FEEL safe... truth is... anyone can make a gun... here is a video showing some kids making a homemade 12 ga shot gun from parts bought at Lowes.

www.youtube.com

Old timers remember the old zip guns that hoodlums used to make out of electrical conduit, some scrap wood, a rubberband and a ten penny nail. On mine I used to wad up a couple pages of newspaper and wrapped it into a ball with packing tape and tape it to the end of the barrel making my own silencer.

Truth is you can make a gun out of just about anything...

As for the blueprint ban.... you do know that blueprints don't make the gun... the binary file sent to the 3D printer makes the gun...

So are you going to ban binary files?

#26 | Posted by Pegasus at 2020-01-29 01:22 PM | Reply