Monday, January 27, 2020

The 62nd annual Grammy Awards anointed a new star in Billie Eilish ... Eilish, an 18-year-old auteur with a moody and idiosyncratic aesthetic, won five awards, including the four most prestigious and competitive prizes -- album, record and song of the year, and best new artist. She was the first artist to sweep the top awards since Christopher Cross in 1981, besting competition from Lizzo, Lil Nas X, Ariana Grande and others.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Gary Clark Jr., a guitarist adored by critics and rock and blues purists, won three awards. His album "This Land" took best contemporary blues album, while the title track from that release won best rock song and best rock performance.

Here's "This Land" (NSFW):

Comments

"Michelle Obama Wins Grammy Award for Reading Her Own Book"

What a surprise...

#1 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-01-27 08:46 AM | Reply

"Michelle Obama Wins Grammy Award for Reading Her Own Book"
What a surprise...

#1 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN AT 2020-01-27 08:46 AM

Where's your Grammy? Oh yeah you have nothing anyone wants to read about.

#2 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2020-01-27 09:06 AM | Reply

"Michelle Obama Wins Grammy Award for Reading Her Own Book"

Don't worry, I'm sure someday your cult leader Trump will win a Grammy for the same thing...

...until they find out he had one of his lickspittles "ghost-read" the book for him (he was too busy ghost-visiting veterans at the local "headache" hospital)

#3 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2020-01-27 09:40 AM | Reply

I'd give trump a Grammy if he read a book!

#4 | Posted by zelkova at 2020-01-27 09:47 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

I suppose I'm now officially an old guy: I have never heard of Billy Eyelash.

#5 | Posted by contrecoup at 2020-01-27 10:46 AM | Reply

- What a surprise...

What a whiny baby... no surprise.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2020-01-27 10:51 AM | Reply

Damn, and I really want to like her. The first time I heard that Bad Guy song (don't know name), I was grooving hard. Great beat and everything. Then she throws in that absurdly, ridiculously idiotic DUH! line and I immediately changed the channel thinking it must be some teenage girl who wrote those lyrics...and sure enough, I was right. Then I saw this headline and it was truly a DUH! moment because if there is one thing America absolutely loves in its music, it's teenage white girls. I see she is 18 now so she only has a couple years left before she is thrown out to pasture unless she does something amazing. Either way, hopefully she gets rid of her "I'm privileged and underage" lyrics and updates them to something better.

#7 | Posted by humtake at 2020-01-27 12:17 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Don't watch this stuff but it's hard to avoid the headlines.
I know who the Billie chick is from seeing pictures. Don't know her music. She's an odd looking kid, so I assume she must be talented.

In the header I saw the name Lizzo. I don't know her music either but I know who she is from reading yahoo, cnn, fox, etc. She's a fat obnoxious self promoter, and I want her 15 minutes to be up.
All that stuff aside, I wouldnt be upset to hear she's actually talented, and not just an obese twerker.

#8 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2020-01-27 01:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In many ways she is the stereotype for her generation. Talented no doubt - it wasn't like the record companies were courting her until she was a huge success virally - much like Justin Bieber.

#9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-01-27 01:55 PM | Reply

Don't understand how she won so many awards.

Hear her "music" in the car during the commute and usually change the channel when it comes on.

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-27 02:12 PM | Reply

Notice how parents are not keeping their children from listening to her songs or burning her CDs like parents did to kids like me in the 60's. I wouldn't listen to it but live and let live.

#11 | Posted by jdmeth at 2020-01-27 02:21 PM | Reply

So I just listened to a Lizzo song.
It was a collaboration with Missy Elliott so it wasn't half bad. The missy elliot influence may have more to do with me not objecting to it than anything else but whatever.
It's not my type of music, but it's somebody's.

#12 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2020-01-27 02:22 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE

Apparently she can play a few instruments well, so she has that going for her talents.

#13 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-01-27 05:36 PM | Reply

It's good to know that the folks on the DR are much more talented than the people who actually, you know, win Grammys.

#14 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2020-01-27 07:59 PM | Reply

I listen to a lot of Lizzo at my house because of my wife and daughter. Took me a minute but I get the appeal and can respect what she's doing. Not really my thing though.

#15 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-01-28 10:02 AM | Reply

Many (most?) of us here on the DR are out-of-touch, Boomer, old farts. I would guess that far less than half of us are the least bit familiar with the music of Billie Eilish. The current Queen of popular music, and many of us do not know who she is. That says more about how out of touch and segregated from the true mainstream many of us are than anything about Ms. Eilish.

#16 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-01-28 12:05 PM | Reply

#16, I know the name but cant recall any of her songs. My 14 & 16 year old daughters listen to it a lot but I tune out their noise ^_^

#17 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2020-01-28 12:11 PM | Reply

I like Billie Eilish way more than I thought I would. Home schooled and self-taught, she's got some crazy ideas but a whole bunch of talent.

#18 | Posted by cbob at 2020-01-28 01:39 PM | Reply

I watched the Grammy awards for the first time in many years and thought "WTF happened to music!" And the wardrobes and the fluorescent hair!?!?

I don't listen to the radio unless it's something like WWOZ and I stick to Spotify channels I've made. To each his own,

#19 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-01-28 01:48 PM | Reply

I watched something about Billie Eilish a few months ago. Saw how her parents were basically letting her raise herself.

Super liberal people... She is the ultimate in goth from what I saw.

#20 | Posted by boaz at 2020-01-28 03:54 PM | Reply