Thursday, February 06, 2020

When Ryan Langdon found out that not everyone can inwardly talk to themselves, his mind was completely blown. "It intrigued me because [after] I read it, [I] didn't believe it could be true," he told Bored Panda. So, he decided to investigate it to the best of his abilities. Afterward, Ryan compiled his findings and wrote a comprehensive text that immediately went viral.

Comments

I think I'm what I imagine to be my own voice
~

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-06 07:52 AM | Reply

In*

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-06 07:52 AM | Reply

Sometimes mine, sometimes my parents.

Mostly Morgan Freemans

#3 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-02-06 07:57 AM | Reply

I hear a narration and think in sentences and words. I can have a 'telepathic' conversation with myself in the mirror.

But, I do not hear my voice. I hear a different voice.
Which is why, I suspect, it was so disconcerting when I first heard my recorded voice.

Burt more to the point of this social media post, I found it fascinating.

It explains a lot, too. What is an effective learning method for one person can be a wall to another.

I've also been curious what color looks like to one person versus another, and what sound is like to one person versus another, etc.

An interesting post, Boaz.

#4 | Posted by YAV at 2020-02-06 08:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4,

Thanks..

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2020-02-06 08:59 AM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY YAV

I asked a group of people I was studying with in High School how we all know that what we see as the color blue is the same color we all see. We know that what we are seeing is called blue because we learn the colors as we are growing but we have no way of knowing if what I call blue is what someone else calls green, it is just a name. Needless to say they all thought I was crazy. I guess I was always curious about it because my grandfather is severely color blind and had to know the order of the stop light, not the color, as he sees mostly in shades of a single color (I've always assumed gray but who knows really).

The voice I hear in my head is not my own. It is female but a firm deeper voice than my own. I think in full sentences, exactly like I speak, and it is the same voice that I hear when I read a book. It is really surprising to know that not everyone does.

#6 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2020-02-06 09:35 AM | Reply

It's always my voice, normally accompanied by an image of one of my parents, grandmother, brothers, wife, or daughter either nodding in agreement or frowning in disagreement.

#7 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-02-06 10:03 AM | Reply

#6 - YES! Exactly, and I think it's wonderful to be curious!

#8 | Posted by YAV at 2020-02-06 01:38 PM | Reply

You're assuming the voice in your head is yours. It's possible that you're not you.

#9 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-02-06 03:33 PM | Reply

"It's possible that you're not you."

Granted. I certainly don't rule it out.

#10 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-02-06 04:02 PM | Reply

In my own mind, I'm a baritone. It's been that way as long as I can recall. However, when I hear my voice on a recording, it's as a tenor, and apparently that's how other people hear me as well, since I've been told that those recordings sound just like me ;-)

OCU

#11 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-02-07 01:00 AM | Reply

I mostly hear a weird guttural chanting. Sometimes voices I don't know call my name or tell me to "Wake Up!" or "Don't Do That!" or something. Babbling brooks actually do that - they sound like babble. Sometimes I hear the most beautiful music, in various styles, all original. Mostly instrumental but a few times with song.

Auditory hallucinations are common - about 10% of people.

#12 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-02-07 11:38 PM | Reply

I usually hear Joe Pesci's voice

Dat mudda -----!

#13 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-02-08 01:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

If I'm being serious it's usually James Earl Jones' voice I hear.

#14 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-02-08 01:24 PM | Reply

>people who don't have an internal monologue
i.imgur.com
this was the seed of the NPC meme, and how many of you are there?

#15 | Posted by berserkone at 2020-02-09 02:32 AM | Reply

Turing never foresaw actual humans who'd be mistaken for a machine

#16 | Posted by berserkone at 2020-02-09 02:37 AM | Reply