Wednesday, February 12, 2020

If a one-day price above $200 causes too many people to balk, [managing director at Leisure Business Advisors John] Gerner said, Disney is likely to know very soon. "They will begin to see it in customer surveys," he said. "That is going to be a sign that they've gone too far -- if they've gone too far."

Comments

Walt is spinning in his grave as his dream becomes ever less attainable by the middle class.

The average US wage earner has to work more than an entire day for just one pass. That doesn't include food, lodging and transportation.

#1 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-02-12 10:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

There are really three Americas.... Most of us subsidize the playtime of the rich.

#2 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-02-12 10:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Rough for everyone who isn't a FL/CA resident, or those who can't find a discount. Buying a one day park pass, no discounts, as an out of state visitor is never a good deal

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-12 11:07 AM | Reply

When I was a young lad hitting the bars, they used to have a fee to get in.

Later found out, its to keep the RiffRaff out. My guess is the rise in tickets keeps the RiffRaff out yet within the markets ability to pay.

And yet more people are going...
www.statista.com

#1 | POSTED BY NIXON

So ...

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-02-12 11:42 AM | Reply

"Imagine how many days he has to work to pay for his government"

Deplorables keep saying zero; that only the rich pay taxes.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-12 11:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Imagine how many days he has to work to pay for his government which doesn't include food, lodging and transportation."

I worked quite a few days in 2018 to pay for our federal government but that's fine with me. I enjoy living in a civilized country where we try not to let people starve or die from preventable illnesses....but hey....that's just me. I'm sure that people like Andrea begrudge every penny paid to the government as theft from her personal piggy bank....but hey...that's her, not me.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2020-02-12 11:53 AM | Reply

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-02-12 11:42 AM | Reply | Flag:

You're right. The bottom 90% of America pays way too much and the top 10% pays way too little. FACT!

BTW, I expect to pay for the benefits I get from the government, good roads, highways, air traffic control, a regulated stock market, law enforcement, firefighters. It's only cancervatives that think they don't have to.

#7 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-02-12 12:09 PM | Reply

The average American has been picking up the bill for corporations for years now...the government, under Repubicans, has pretty much turned into a Ponzi scheme for billionaires, and largely, under Repubicans, fleeced its citizens out of all the protections, services, infrastructure and safety nets that we used to pay for with our taxes. Now, all that money gets filtered to banks and corporations, who don't pay taxes and are building monopolies, paying less than a living wage and skating on paying insurance, etc. for the average worker.

Repubican ideas about government are to take us back to the 1920's.

#8 | Posted by chuffy at 2020-02-12 03:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"My guess is the rise in tickets keeps the RiffRaff out yet within the markets ability to pay."

This is a disgusting answer. You're not better than anyone.

#9 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-02-12 03:21 PM | Reply

I love Disneyland. But I aint paying for $200 tickets. Which does not include overpriced food and souvenirs.

#10 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-02-12 03:37 PM | Reply

I had to endure Disney when my kids were young and it was far cheaper then. I have no desire to go there now but I know kids still do, I feel sorry for their parents who are struggling to keep a roof over their heads having to deal with kids who want to go so badly when it is just so damned expensive.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2020-02-12 03:52 PM | Reply

Quit whining chuffy. This is a thread about Disneyland.

#12 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-02-12 04:49 PM | Reply

Like I said before. It's a high priced playground for children. It's not for adult discerning minds like mine.

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-02-12 05:00 PM | Reply

Wot?
Spud will stick to the local park.

#14 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2020-02-12 05:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Deplorables keep saying zero; that only the rich pay taxes.

#5 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2020-02-12 11:48 AM

"Only 48, 49 percent" -Mitt Romney. He was quite popular here last week for some reason.

#15 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-12 07:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

but $200 for a US disney? That's a stretch. There's only 1 good ride in the Orlando parks, Expedition Everest. Tron will be great when they finish it, but Universal has much better attractions overall.

Disney Shanghai, that's worth a $200 ticket. Pirates there is amazing. They stuck a fu-man-chu beard on Jack Sparrow, you're in a robot boat that can move forward, backwards, side to side, and rotate, you pass through some excellent scenery, through full dome theaters that come all the way down to the waterline, see all their best animatronics, in a 10 minute experience. Worth it.

#16 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-12 07:31 PM | Reply

Rick Moranis Closes Deal To Return To Honey, I Shrunk The Kids' Franchise With Shrunk' At Disney - deadline.com

This can only mean one thing: we're near the end.

#17 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-02-12 07:42 PM | Reply

Nothing but remakes, sequels and comic book movies from Hollywood these days. You gotta laugh when these dopes describe themselves as "creatives."

#18 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-02-12 07:47 PM | Reply

that only the rich pay taxes.
#5 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

You don't read Danforth do you.

We pay

Payroll tax
Sales tax
State income tax
Property tax
Vehicle tax
Disposal tax
Communications fees and taxes.

These are just some of the taxes we pay.

Over the course of a year, each one is over $200. I bet there is even a Tax on a Disneyland ticket.

#19 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-02-12 08:26 PM | Reply

#19 Tell it to the Deplorables.
P.S. Illegal immigrants pay those taxes too.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-12 08:35 PM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Shanghai and Tokyo are on my Disney bucketlists.
As for the stateside parks, Flight of Passage in Animal Kingdom is excellent, and the two Galaxy Edge rides are worth the visit.

As you mentioned, Expedition Everest is also very notable.

MK's Space Mountain is also a favorite, as is Dinosaur.

Hitting all of MK's mountains in one day is always a worthy achievement to unlock.

#21 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-12 10:33 PM | Reply

#20 they should stop

#22 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-13 06:34 AM | Reply

One word: Kidsploitation.

#23 | Posted by CutiePie at 2020-02-13 08:27 AM | Reply

" My guess is the rise in tickets keeps the RiffRaff out yet within the markets ability to pay."
Some alt-right troglodyte

"""
My guess is it's to keep out the (R)tarded hilljacks like you who are part of Orange Adolf's cult.
You and you kind would have to sell the double wide to come up with that much scratch.

#24 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2020-02-13 08:56 AM | Reply

One word: Kidsploitation.

#23 | POSTED BY CUTIEPIE AT 2020-02-13 08:27 AM | FLAG:

Used to be. Disney strategy evolves as their base is aging. Now there are many special events catering to adults without children.

#25 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-13 09:19 AM | Reply

I remember when Disney tickets lasted forever. Growing up in L.A. they often times gave a book of them away as prizes or gifts and over several years I collected a shoebox full of them. I hated the place myself but before I left LA with my kids I was able to spend 2 full days there with using up all the tickets with them. We went on school days so we had the park to ourselves. It was a great day.

#26 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-02-13 09:50 AM | Reply

I bet there is even a Tax on a Disneyland ticket.

#19 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

Oh you poor thing!

Maybe you will end up quarantined there with the corona virus.

Now THAT would be karma.

#27 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-02-13 12:14 PM | Reply

Never went and never wanted to, as years of standing in line [hurry up and wait] in the military, causes me to avoid being in queue whenever possible.

#28 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-02-13 01:43 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That's what a fast pass is for. Schedule when you want to be there and skip the line.

#29 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-13 06:06 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY DANNI

They're usually self-absorbed pr---s who think they did it all by themselves.

#30 | Posted by jpw at 2020-02-14 08:14 AM | Reply

Throw in the wait times - (over 4 hours for one when I was last there) and this is now totally ridiculous.

#31 | Posted by YAV at 2020-02-14 08:43 AM | Reply

All of those except for Air Traffic and stock market are done by the localities. As it should be.

#32 | Posted by boaz at 2020-02-14 09:10 AM | Reply

They're usually self-absorbed pr---s who think they did it all by themselves.

I didnt see you there when I was taking tests. Or when I deployed to war. Or when I was in interviews to qualify for positions. Or when I was studying for certifications.

Funny how you say government gets all the credit for individual successes that actually take work...

#33 | Posted by boaz at 2020-02-14 09:13 AM | Reply