Thursday, February 13, 2020

"[Y]ou have to be careful about what you are watching and reading, because the media has taken sides," he continued. "So if you only watch Fox News because it's reinforcing what you believe, you are not an informed citizen."

Comments

Truer words have never been spoken!
I would go as far to say there has to be a level of mental retardation if you are gullible enough to believe Fox News.

#1 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2020-02-13 02:13 PM | Reply

Same goes for only watching MSNBC.

Although Fox is about as low as you go when it comes to drivel.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2020-02-13 02:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And another one of Trump's "best people" becomes a "disgruntled former employee."

#3 | Posted by anton at 2020-02-13 02:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I stopped watching MSNBC 5 or 6 years ago because it was so one-sided... don't get me wrong, the other side has very little to offer at all, but I don't need my biases confirmed that much.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2020-02-13 02:50 PM | Reply

IMO, the big problem with FoxNews, CNN and MSNBC is that all they really do is stir up the anger of the viewer towards the other Party. They are all major contributors to the polarization of America. They are in the business of generating outrage. If you want the news, go to BBC America.

#5 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-02-13 02:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

BBC is where I get most of my news.l (other than here). Some NPR as well.

I'll glance at headlines on CNN to see what the big topics are but don't usually open the stories.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2020-02-13 02:57 PM | Reply

Al Jazeera is good.
Christian Science Monitor is good.

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-13 02:59 PM | Reply

The problem is how many on the right ONLY get their news from Fox. Going with one source isn't nearly as much of a problem on the left.

There was a story on this on the DR a while back.

#8 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-02-13 03:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#7 ... Al Jazeera is good.
Christian Science Monitor is good. ...

I watch Newsy at times. Their cable channel recently appeared here. They stumble here and there due to their inexperience, but they do seem to want to present the full picture.

www.newsy.com

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-02-13 04:23 PM | Reply

Got rid of all of the cable news channels a couple years ago. Great move.

#10 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2020-02-13 04:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

All I see is a lot of false equivelancy from Fox supporters, and Kelly who was too weak to speak when it mattered.

#11 | Posted by techres at 2020-02-13 04:35 PM | Reply

They watch FUXnuze in order to find comfort in being wrong. Soothing cognitive dissonance... its the white noise lulling them along the path of stupid.

#12 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-02-13 05:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Trump supporters are quick to point out Trump went to a better collage than Kelly.

#13 | Posted by Scotty at 2020-02-13 05:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Same goes with reading this site. Everything I read here is argued so vehemently that there is no middle ground. You are right or wrong. That's it. Two extremes on every topic...except maybe the music night.

#14 | Posted by Petrous at 2020-02-13 06:48 PM | Reply

#14 that's an artifact of the fact that the primary fun of this place is the kicking each other in the balls.

It's not as fun if people are agreeable.

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2020-02-13 07:26 PM | Reply

If you watch any cable news you are not being informed. Fox, MSNBC, CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC.

Go to as many sites as you can inform yourself, make your own decisions.

#16 | Posted by sawdust at 2020-02-13 09:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Go to as many sites as you can inform yourself, make your own decisions."

Ehhhh.... Pretty sure that's how people end up being anti-vaxx, believing in chemtrails, etc.
www.theverge.com

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-13 09:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-- Fox, MSNBC, CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC.

And yet Kelly only mentioned Fox, like a good little DNC parrot. I'm guessing some Fox commentator got under his thin skin.

#18 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-02-13 09:33 PM | Reply

Here is an example: Twitter taught Microsoft's AI chatbot to be a racist ------- in less than a day www.theverge.com

Thats only one website ... and why do you put credence on AI? Are you dumber than the AI?

Asking for your parents...

#19 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-02-13 09:38 PM | Reply

"Are you dumber than the AI?"

Depends on the AI.
I bet Watson could beat me at Jeopardy.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-13 09:42 PM | Reply

I also bet I could beat you at Jeopardy. Fun fact, two of my friends were actually on the show. They were one and dones.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-13 09:52 PM | Reply

You are WRONG!

#22 | Posted by YAV at 2020-02-13 09:55 PM | Reply

Asking for your parents...

#19 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

You obviously have no idea how advanced good AI's have become. Its insane...

#23 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-02-14 12:31 PM | Reply

Go to as many sites as you can inform yourself, make your own decisions.
#16 | POSTED BY SAWDUST

No. It's not the number of sites. It's the quality of the sites.

I'd take 3 good sites over 30 strong right or strong left sites any day.

You also need to know the difference between Opinion and News articles.

That's something older people have an issue doing according to several studies.

#24 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-02-14 12:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

BBC is where I get most of my news.l (other than here). Some NPR as well.

#6 | Posted by jpw at 2020-02-13 02:57 PM |

I get my fixes of news and current events from Aljazeera and Reuters via my ROKU device. MSNBC is sometimes fun, but more often than not all the talking heads shouting is tedious.

#25 | Posted by john47 at 2020-02-14 01:56 PM | Reply

Publications focused on financial matters are often closer to reality than anything else because folks are looking to them for hard information and honest opinion. The stakes are their own finances. That keeps everyone honest all the time.

#26 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-02-14 10:44 PM | Reply

You also need to know the difference between Opinion and News articles.

#24 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

I agree completely. It's what infuriates me about sources like WaPo and NYT. Overall they are good sources for news but their writers insert way too much opinion into their straight news stories and their editors let them get away with it.

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-02-15 09:26 AM | Reply

I mean... I suppose if you only have one source for your info then FoxNews is still better than Trump's tweet feed.

#28 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-02-15 10:59 AM | Reply | Funny: 1