Friday, February 14, 2020

The surging Democratic presidential candidate has fielded some 40 sexual harassment and discrimination lawsuits brought against him and his organizations over decades.

Comments

The Price of a Bloomberg Nomination Is Too Damn High

Some details of Bloomberg's mistreatment of his female subordinates remain disputed, with the allegations sheltered from public view by nondisclosure agreements that the candidate refuses to waive. But there is no debate about whether Bloomberg routinely subjected the women at his companies to misogynistic "banter" (one of the mogul's favorite workplace jokes: "If women wanted to be appreciated for their brains, they'd go to the library instead of Bloomingdale's"). The billionaire acknowledged and apologized for this habit shortly after launching his campaign.

nymag.com

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-14 07:51 AM | Reply

"The Price of a Bloomberg Nomination Is Too Damn High"

Our desperation to remove Trump is bringing us to make a deal with the devil. I suppose a few of the 10%ers stand to make some good money during a Bloomberg administration though so be on the lookout for them to be promoting him big time as the season goes on.

Here's the thing though... If Bloomberg shared in our desperation to remove Trump he'd have run as a Republican, forcing Trump to participate in debates now rather than six months from now. But what he wants more than removing Trump is the power of the Presidency, as newly defined by Trump. If you think Trump has lined his pockets using the office, just wait until we get President Mike. And then democrats will be falling over themselves to justify it all.

#2 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-02-14 08:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"If you think Trump has lined his pockets using the office, just wait until we get President Mike. And then democrats will be falling over themselves to justify it all."

Sorry but I ain't buying that. The guy has 60 billion dollars, I just don't believe he really cares about making more money, he's already committed to spending a billion dollars just to prevent Trump from winning. He's not a perfect candidate, he isn't even our nominee, I haven't heard him talk about M4All yet but I welcome him and his money if it means getting Trump out of the WH.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2020-02-14 08:23 AM | Reply

"Sorry but I ain't buying that."

Okay.

*shrugs

#4 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-02-14 08:36 AM | Reply

#3 DANNI
The guy has 60 billion dollars,
For the .01%, it's not about how much you have, it's about how much more you can have.

I just don't believe he really cares about making more money
I believe he cares more than you think. He doesn't have as much as Bezos, and they do keep score.

He is investing a billion to take his place. Nothing altruistic going on here.

#5 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2020-02-14 08:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"The guy has 60 billion dollars, I just don't believe he really cares about making more money,"

the irony is massive.

#6 | Posted by eberly at 2020-02-14 08:47 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

He's not a perfect candidate

#3 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2020-02-14 08:23 AM | FLAG:

He's the worst in the entire field, which is an accomplishment in its own right.

#7 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-14 09:28 AM | Reply

There is one big difference between Bloomberg and Trump: Bloomberg is willing to spend his own money on causes he believes in, like climate change and his own campaign; Trump isn't. Trump ripped off his own charity for money, for crying out loud.

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-14 09:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I agree with Danni. He's not in it for the money. At a certain point, money becomes less important than power. That's what Bloomberg wants.

#9 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2020-02-14 09:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Not just sexism, by the way. Racism, too.

#10 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2020-02-14 09:38 AM | Reply

--There is one big difference between Bloomberg and Trump:

60 billion or so.

#11 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-02-14 09:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

True, Bloomberg is the kind of billionaire Trump pretends he is and dreams of being. Or dreams of his kids and Jared being at this point.

#12 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-14 09:40 AM | Reply

Bloomberg is the kind of authoritarian Democrats claim Trump to be.

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-02-14 10:35 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I cant wait for the schitt show between him and Trump to get all the way warmed up. This is going to be a special kind of krazy. I envision a wrestling match between Bloomer as Precious Paul and Trump as the Grappler!

#14 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-02-14 01:35 PM | Reply

Haven't you heard of the golden rule?

He who has the gold, makes the rule.

Always was, always will be.

#15 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-02-14 01:52 PM | Reply

I like Bloomberg. He's funny and Trump is scared of him. Win - win.

#16 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-02-14 11:05 PM | Reply

I struggle to see the upside of a Bloomberg Presidency, other than it not being a Trump Presidency.

That being said, I have not really looked at any of the platforms in much detail.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-14 11:09 PM | Reply

"As for the topic thread, anyone successful in business's long history of anything unsavory is routinely overlooked in the name of making money. It's a stupid question that only someone who doesn't know how the business world works would even think to ask. No offense Gal_Tuesday."

None taken. I'm not the one who asked the question. Look at Trump. The same question could be asked about him and has been, repeatedly. But when it comes to Bloomberg, I think the question is being asked with regard to the Democratic party, who swiftly kicked Al Franken to the curb at the height of the #metoo movement.

#18 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-14 11:36 PM | Reply

I thought Al Franken pretty much fell on his own sword.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-15 12:45 AM | Reply

"But when it comes to Bloomberg, I think the question is being asked with regard to the Democratic party"

Why aren't the other Democrats attacking him on it?
That also seems like a dumb question :)

I think the Democratic party sees #MeToo as a losing issue, and women's rights in general as a losing issue, in terms of getting people to vote for Democrats in November. Those who care about this issue, the sides haven't changed since Roe v Wade.

Though I'd say abortion is more in play in this election than probably any other in my lifetime; as it was last election. It's a little easier for Trump to appoint justices that will overturn Roe since he won't have to worry about re-election after his second and under current law last term (yes I know).

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-15 12:52 AM | Reply

Some people are making lists:

David Klion @DavidKlion (News Editor @JewishCurrents, writer @thenation, @newrepublic, etc,)

Libs who are flirting with Bloomberg now should be aware that they are going on lists. Next time they pretend to care about racism or sexual harassment or really anything other than money and power, we will remember what they were doing right now and we will remind everyone.

It's a mercy that we're warning you now, while you still have time to reconsider selling your souls. You should be grateful.

#21 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-15 12:58 AM | Reply

"The surging Democratic presidential candidate "

Is he surging? Don't really follow polls. I know he's spending a ton on ads but I've yet to meet anyone supporting him. I don't even recall seeing a yard sign or sticker for him.

#22 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2020-02-15 01:25 AM | Reply

"Is he surging?"

According to him, yes!

"I know he's spending a ton on ads but I've yet to meet anyone supporting him."

Same.
The only ads I've seen are Trump's Super Bowl ad and Bloomberg. Bloomberg is a fairly common occurrence here.

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-15 02:00 AM | Reply

I see one lawn sign up for Bloomberg.he's tying the one Bernie sign I see.

#24 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-02-15 08:49 AM | Reply

A lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Bloomberg will not be president.

#25 | Posted by Angrydad at 2020-02-15 09:41 AM | Reply

It seems Bloomberg has been surging. 538's forecast now puts him at better odds of winning the nomination than Warren or Buttigieg. His gain appears to be a portion of Biden's loss.

projects.fivethirtyeight.com