Monday, February 17, 2020

Denny Hamlin became the fourth back-to-back winner of the Daytona 500 in a photo finish with Ryan Blaney, but the achievement is overshadowed by the condition of Ryan Newman, whose car went airborne in the final seconds of the race. Newman's condition was unknown but drivers and Fox's broadcast team were showing obvious concern. Black screens were brought out to keep fans from seeing Newman's removal from the car.

Comments

That's plate racing. Checkers or wreckers.

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-17 08:21 PM | Reply

The driver's side hit after the car flipped was brutal.

It seems like the rescuers turned the car over with him still in it. I'm hoping that means there weren't head and neck injuries.

twitter.com

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2020-02-17 08:28 PM | Reply

I'm hoping that means there weren't head and neck injuries.

I'm guessing that, unfortunately, it meant he wasn't alive and that extraction as quick as possible was most important.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2020-02-17 09:43 PM | Reply

The media staging outside the hospital in Daytona for over an hour suggests to me he survived. One Florida TV station reported he's in stable condition but the sourcing is weak.

#4 | Posted by rcade at 2020-02-17 10:02 PM | Reply

Roush Racing just read a statement that Newman is in "serious condition" at the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

#5 | Posted by rcade at 2020-02-17 10:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

POSTED BY RCADE AT 2020-02-17 10:02 PM | REPLY

Yeah no since hanging around if the guy is dead.

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-02-17 10:22 PM | Reply

NASCAR needs to get a handle on this aggressive blocking before they get somebody killed.

#7 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-02-18 12:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Let's put 40 or so people in heavily modified cars on a track and let them race at 200 MPH, what could go wrong. BTW, What the hell is a 70+ year old man doing in a race car? You can't fix stupid, but stupid has consequences.

#8 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-02-18 04:55 AM | Reply

#7 they need somebody to die for the ratings.

#9 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-18 06:33 AM | Reply

SITZKRIEG

"they need somebody to die for the ratings."

I don't think that's the goal at all.

NASCAR does everything it can to ensure the safety of the drivers. The problem, as I see it, is the enormous pressure the drivers and car owners are under to win (at all costs) to maintain status for car manufacturer (Ford, Chevy, Toyota at the moment). The manufacturers invest huge amount of money to get their particular brand across the finish line first.

Racing is no longer a matter of the cream coming to the top. It's a matter of what a driver has to do to keep his car manufacturer shoveling money into the sport.

It's a shame, too. I'm a race fan (not a wreck fan). But it has long since stopped being a sport. Now it's just a marketing investment for Ford, Chevy and Toyota. I don't think they much care how the job gets done.

#10 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-02-18 10:29 AM | Reply

It's not their goal, but it's what they need. They can't fill the super speedways during the main event and it's empty for trucks & B cars. The rate of decline has slowed but it's not stopping.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-18 10:34 AM | Reply

SITZKRIEG

I disagree.

No sport needs that kind of negative publicity. The rules package for aggressive blocking at super speedways needs to be changed to compensate for the high rate of speed they're traveling. I would suggest at least half a car length to allow for the chain reaction.

These cars travel the length of a football field in one second. That's akin to a blur.

#12 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-02-18 11:02 AM | Reply

DOCNJO

"What the hell is a 70+ year old man doing in a race car?"

Morgan Shepherd @ age 77 does not compete in the Cup Series.

If you're talking about Trump, (LOL) he never made it more than a couple feet from his limo.

Funny thing about Trump. Race Day folks were all cheering for what great weather they had for a race. Blue Skies, moderate temps and not a rain cloud in sight.

Within minutes after Trump's limo left the grounds, it started to pour ~ even though there was no sign of rain clouds on anybody's radar ~ and the race had to be postponed.

My thought, "Everything Trump touches dies."

#13 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-02-18 11:30 AM | Reply

No sport needs that kind of negative publicity.

#12 | POSTED BY TWINPAC AT 2020-02-18 11:02 AM | FLAG:

They do. Negative news draws viewers. They are dying out.

NFL CTE news and ratings are up.

#14 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-18 12:28 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

They do a lot to make sure the drivers are safe. The technology is incredible. That's why there are so few deaths or serious injuries in NASCAR.

Frankly, there are more serious injuries in baseball, football, boxing, MMA, and many other sports compared to NASCAR.

NASCAR is pretty diligent in protecting drivers. The NFL could take a page out of their book.

That said, it's still incredibly boring...

#15 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-02-18 12:52 PM | Reply

The strategy behind what they (Ford) drivers were doing leading up to this crash was interesting and eye opening to what goes in behind the scenes in these races. Had no idea about blocking as a very casual observer of these races.

#16 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-18 01:11 PM | Reply

How did the entry from Trump Racing do? You know, the car sponsored by Fraud Guarantee?

#17 | Posted by catdog at 2020-02-18 01:15 PM | Reply

GONOLES

"Had no idea about blocking as a very casual observer of these races."

"Blocking is what got Dale Earnhardt, Sr. killed at the 2001 Daytona 500.

#18 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-02-18 01:36 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY CATDOG AT 2020-02-18 01:15 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

The Beast did a victory lap and left before the start of the race.

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-18 01:52 PM | Reply

What I was referring to is Paul Newman, but the guy in the car was Ryan Newman. Excuse me.

#20 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-02-18 03:29 PM | Reply

Paul Newman died 11 years ago at age 83.

#21 | Posted by hoser at 2020-02-18 08:18 PM | Reply

#21 | Posted by hoser, Hell, I watch movies, I have never obsessed with the actors who played rolls in the film. Except, Alec Guinness and Henry Fonda, who both served in combat during WWII. They could have used their celebrity to duck the danger, they didn't.

#22 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-02-18 08:34 PM | Reply

DOCNJO

Don't be embarrassed. I'm sure RYAN Newman would be flattered.
_________________________________

Pressure on he drivers has made racing more dangerous than it has to be. There's a steel cage under all that sheet metal but occasionally someone does get hurt. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. suffered a severe concussion a couple years which put him in a coma for a few days. He stopped driving. Carl Edwards, another sport favorite, quit racing after what happened to young Dale. It's too easy for these accidents on the track to turn a guy into a vegetable for the rest of their life.

#23 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-02-18 09:01 PM | Reply

Jr. had a crazy amount of concussions. He goes over it at length with Joe Rogan. It's one worth watching.

#24 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-18 09:03 PM | Reply

#23 | Posted by Twinpac Look closer at stock car, usually most of the sheet metal has been replaced with Mylar. A Stock car has to look like a production car, that is about the only similarity. The only place I know of that they leave the steel on is the roof and the tail end, but it has been ages sense I have messed with stock cars. The only thing I have to show for dealing with race cars is a bad case of tinnitus.

#25 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-02-18 09:17 PM | Reply

Except, Alec Guinness and Henry Fonda, who both served in combat during WWII.

Don't forget Jimmy Stewart.

#26 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-02-18 09:23 PM | Reply

He went airborne in 2003 at Daytona and 2009 at Talladega. I'd think about retiring. Hell, I quit dirt biking because I was sore several days after.

#27 | Posted by willowby at 2020-02-18 09:49 PM | Reply

I'm gonna stick my neck out and guess Twinpac is well aware of all that and more.

#28 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-02-18 09:52 PM | Reply

REDIAL

Thank you. Yes, I'm well aware of the technology used in race car fabrication. It's been around for quite a while. However, the guys in the booth still refer to it as "sheet metal" when pieces come flying off wrecked cars . . . so I do, too.

I haven't make a study of it but I'm rather certain there is still some aluminum components involved in the overall fabrication process.

#29 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-02-18 10:31 PM | Reply

WILLOBY

"He went airborne in 2003 at Daytona and 2009 at Talladega. I'd think about retiring."

Maybe he will. Age 42 is an old man for a race car driver.

However, Newman didn't cause the crash (he was in the lead). It's Ryan Blaney who needs to go back to driving school. He hit Newman from behind and they both wrecked. It was a dumb rookie move.

#30 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-02-18 11:08 PM | Reply

#28 | POSTED BY REDIAL

Well neither of you know what stockcars are made of.

The body on the Gen6 cars, is sheetmetal, and the Hood and deck lid are made of KevlarCarbonFiber.

That's plate racing. Checkers or wreckers.
#1 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

The new aero package has made racing tighter, and there is no restrictor plate, but there is a tapered spacer and more drag, requiring more drafting.

#31 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-02-18 11:22 PM | Reply

#26 | Posted by REDIAL, Jimmy Stewart was in a league of his own. 42 missions? Bomber crew and submarine crews had the highest mortality of any duty in any army. Odds are Maj.Gen. Stewart should have never seen 1945. (about 3 times over). Utmost respect for the man, but his talent did not have the range of G & F. He was the best character actor ever, but honestly his roles are the same character , Like John Wayne, he was what people wanted to see, an honest, decent, courageous common man. He was not acting, he was being himself.

#32 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-02-18 11:24 PM | Reply

ANDREA

Thanks for the info. Frankly, other than the reinforcement of the driver side door, the body of the car doesn't occupy much of my mind. When I saw Newman's car, I was looking at the steel tubing (cage) to see if it did it's job. Fortunately, it did. Reports now are that Newman is awake and talking.

#33 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-02-19 12:02 AM | Reply

and there is no restrictor plate

#31 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS AT 2020-02-18 11:22 PM | FLAG:

It's a colloquialism. The new restrictor is still called "plate racing". They had to switch since people figured out how to cheat, very early on I might add, with slide out plates. No matter how you engineer it, it's still stupid and causes The Big One.

#34 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-19 06:41 AM | Reply

SITZKRIEG

I think it was Dale Sr. who used to call the plate "The revolator."

#35 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-02-19 07:40 AM | Reply

I saw one on a video about the best NASCAR cheaters of all time. A little flick and it just slid right out. Another flick and it's back in place, ready for post-race inspection. Some of the engineering they pull off is hilarious. Smokey Yunick was a genius.

#36 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-19 09:05 AM | Reply

SITZKRIEG

I remember one crew chief who quipped with a laugh, "It's our job to cheat. It's Nascar's job to catch us."

So there ya' go.