Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Imagine a frog call, but with a metallic twang -- and the intensity of a chainsaw. That's the "boing" of a minke whale. And it's a form of animal communication in danger of being drowned out by ocean noise, new research shows. By analyzing more than 42,000 minke whale boings, scientists have found that, as background noise intensifies, the whales are losing their ability to communicate over long distances. This could limit their ability to find mates and engage in important social contact with other whales.

Comments

As an ex-sonarman in the USN, I often wondered about this. I know that whales use very low frequency sound to communicate over vast distances-- even hundreds of miles. Ships put all sorts of noise in the water and the low frequency ones like the screws and the cavitation they cause also travel vast distances. Can you imagine hearing every car within a hundred miles of you at the same time all the time?

Then there is the sonar on war ships. The one I worked on in the Navy could put out 240,000 watts of acoustic power. When it went active fish close to the ship went belly up. (we should have scooped them up and eaten them) That sound has been detected across the Atlantic ocean if it gets in a thermocline Thermoclines are almost always near the surface where the whales live.

#1 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-19 11:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ahhh. the old 'Ocean Moise' interference!

Heh, heh.

#2 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2020-02-19 01:51 PM | Reply

I was halibut fishing off the Kenai peninsula in Alaska once and got surrounded by whales. What an incredible animal.

I'm in Maui for a few weeks on a job and am planning on visiting the Maui Ocean Center when my wife gets here next week. Supposedly they have a lot of whale info, so I'm reallylookingforwardtothat.

Yesterday I came across a large group of sea turtles on the beach and posted a photo on my Facebook (for those here connected to me).

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-02-19 04:54 PM | Reply

(for those here connected to me).

POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

Is your art page still up? I lost it in my bookmarks
-_-
Sounds like you're having a great work trip!

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-20 08:12 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism

There should be a lot of Humpback whales right now off Maui. It's peak of the season. Off the southwestern shore is usually full of them. As you should see them breaching literally all over the place. Took a snorkeling trip to Molokini from Kihei our first trip there. Learned a lot and seen a lot. Whales, Dolphins, etc. Incredible creatures. Our impact on them is saddening.

Goat is spot on with the Sonars and such. They have been talking about the effects for decades. It definitely has a negative impact on them even killing them.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-02-20 10:45 AM | Reply