Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Bernie Speaks is comically low budget, with earlier episodes opening on a shot of the show's name written in marker. Some episodes feature Sanders at city meetings or meeting with prominent Burlingtonites. But other gems feature Sanders, with the same wild white hair and hunched shoulders he still sports today, channeling "Dan Rather" " his words " and shoving a wired microphone at mall punks and Boy Scouts. In one winning episode, Sanders meets with a group of kids who live in housing projects and asks them about drugs. "I like coke!" one kid shouts, but when Sanders probes further, he says "I like Coca-Cola." "Oh, Coca-Cola," Sanders continues, obviously disinterested, then asks "anyone ever seen cocaine?" They say no, but Sanders goes on to insist that "I bet you do" know people who "use drugs." He then asks "who here smokes?," to which one kid says "I don't smoke because I'm a little kid. I'm only 5 years old."

Comments

Link failure, I'm pretty sure that Recep Tayyip Erdogan wasn't the cameraman during those episodes...

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-19 08:19 PM | Reply

Here the link: theweek.com

Apparently, "Sanders, now Vermont's Independent senator and a presidential frontrunner, spent his mid-1980's mayorship hosting on his own public access TV show."

#2 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-02-19 08:25 PM | Reply

Thanks.

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-19 08:27 PM | Reply

So, basically, in the mid 1980s, the height of cocaine use in America, Bernie asked some kids if they knew what cocaine was or whether they smoked.

I was in elementary school when DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) came to talk to my class about drugs and drug use, and Dared me to say NO!

So, I guess the point of the article is, it's fine for actors to come talk to students about Drugs and Drug use.

But, not okay for Bernie, the mayor, to talk about drugs and drug use on a public access TV show.

Thanks for sharing Bruce!

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-02-19 08:31 PM | Reply

"Why, did you want to score an 8-ball or something?" - Children

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-02-20 02:15 AM | Reply

#4 Lighten up Clown. I'm worried about your mental health if you don't think this is funny.

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-02-20 05:06 PM | Reply