Sunday, February 23, 2020

As part of efforts across football to make kickoffs less dangerous, the fledgling XFL football league has different kickoff rules than the NFL. Both teams line up five yards apart in the receiving half at the 30- and 35-yard-lines and keeping still until the returner touches the ball. The league's first kick return for a touchdown occurred Sunday when Joe Powell of the St. Louis Battlehawks ran 90 yards against the New York Guardians.

Comments

XFL Has First Kick Return TD Under New Rules

... and it is beautiful.

When I went to see some live XFL action the other week, and saw the new kickoff formation, I knew that it wouldn't be long til some coaches began to attempt some playground type trickery on these plays.

Love to see it.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-23 08:21 PM | Reply

Interesting.
What will the XFL do during March Madness? Revert to irrelevance? And what about that guy He Hate Me? Did he sign with a team?

#2 | Posted by catdog at 2020-02-23 08:23 PM | Reply

Who didn't see this coming? Stay tuned for more creative kickoff defense,

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-23 08:26 PM | Reply

#2 The new XFL isn't like the old XFL at all.

www.forbes.com

#4 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-02-23 08:59 PM | Reply

He Hate Me is 43. After the XFL he played 53 games in the NFL as a special teams player, including a year as a kick returner for Carolina in which he ran one back 100 yards for a touchdown.

www.pro-football-reference.com

The new XFL is not like the old. It's not goofy and it has some good rules and decent players. I've enjoyed the four games I've watched, though I shouldn't have picked the Tampa Bay Vipers as my team.

Is that who you went to see, Noles?

#5 | Posted by rcade at 2020-02-23 09:26 PM | Reply

Is that who you went to see, Noles? #5 | POSTED BY RCADE

I saw the DC Defenders vs NY Guardians matchup a couple weeks ago, and in the 4th quarter a beer snake was created!
www.barstoolsports.com

As the crowd began to celebrate a runaway win, chants of "drink more beer!" broke out as empties were stacked and passed through sections to join the snake in the end zone.

It had an electric atmosphere similar to the ol' FSU games back when the team was dominate. Hosting the game in an MLS stadium was cool too.

Only complaint is I wish the concession prices were cheaper -_-. I hoped that food/drinks would be priced similar to minor league baseball

#6 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-23 11:12 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I'll catch the TB Vipers live in a few weeks when they travel to take on the DC Defenders.
It's rough to see the QB situation of the Vipers, but the rushing attack has been potent and the team is finally scoring touchdowns, so anything can happen down the stretch.
Maybe it's because I watched him at USF when I was back in FL, but c'mon coach, put in Flowers at QB when you're at the end zone!

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-23 11:18 PM | Reply

Beer Snake!

I read that both the NFL and the MLB shut down cup snakes but the XFL actually tweeted videos of it including fans taking it into the parking lot after the game!

m.facebook.com

youtu.be

#8 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-02-24 05:16 AM | Reply

Go BattleHawks!
Ka-Kaw!

#9 | Posted by anton at 2020-02-24 06:27 AM | Reply

Neat concept. I won't be watching the XFL. Anything Vince McMahon has his paws on is going to be dirty IMHO.

I am supportive of the players it is simply if we don't know enough about McMahon and his incredibly poor treatment of even superstars in wrestling then we never will. The man places no value for human beings only $$$. Ride them until you destroy them and then create a new star to destroy.

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-02-24 10:45 AM | Reply