Monday, February 24, 2020

As Bernie Sanders surged to the top of the pack at Saturday's Democratic caucuses in Nevada, MSNBC anchor Chris Matthews was having a rough time. Matthews told viewers that if Sanders became the Democratic nominee, Republicans would release opposition research about "what [Sanders has] said in the past about world affairs, how far left he is," which would "kill him" in the general election in November.

"But I think it's a little late to stop him," Matthews told viewers then turned to the history books. "I was reading last night about the fall of France in the summer of 1940," said Matthews, "And the general, Reynaud, calls up Churchill and says, 'It's over.' And Churchill says, 'How can that be? You've got the greatest army in Europe. How can it be over?' He said, 'It's over.'"

Twitter exploded as the Left " mostly those who are predominantly Bernie supporters " called on Matthews to resign or for the television network to fire the long-time host.

Comments

No one expects the Leftist Inquisition!!!

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-24 11:55 AM | Reply

It's crazy how the Left has been comparing the Trump and the GOP to Hitler and the Nazis with impunity for years but use a similar analogy on one of their own and moral outrage abounds.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

#2 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-24 11:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

--No one expects the Leftist Inquisition!!!

I wish someone had told me that.

Chris "Robespierre" Matthews.

#3 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-02-24 12:00 PM | Reply

I replaced the troll headline.

#4 | Posted by rcade at 2020-02-24 12:02 PM | Reply

I replaced the troll headline.

#4 | POSTED BY RCADE

You're about as fun as a wet blanket.

#5 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-02-24 12:07 PM | Reply

Geez, I post a rather mild trolling headline and it gets immediately replaced by the Man Behind The Curtain...

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-24 12:11 PM | Reply

Back on topic, it is pretty telling that the Useful Idiots on the Left fail to glean the message from Matthews' historical analogy, i.e. inevitable defeat/victory depending on your perspective, and immediately stampede to screaming "Fascist" because they disagree with Matthew's opinion on how well Bernie will fare in the General Election.

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-24 12:29 PM | Reply

Chris Matthews faces calls for resignation after comparing Sanders victory to Nazi invasion

thehill.com

#8 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-02-24 12:33 PM | Reply

#7 Is that what Matthews is referring to? I more got the impression he was scared of a Bernie victory not a defeat,you seem to have gotten that backwards as usual. Back to trolling school, reading comprehension is fundamental. Matthews WANTS Bernie to lose. Duh.

#9 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-02-24 12:39 PM | Reply

Sanders had family members who were killed in the Holocaust, so the analogy is tone deaf and could be seen as offensive when applied to him.

Just like a slavery analogy would have been more offensive had it been used to describe something about Kamala's campaign than some non-black person.

It really isn't that hard to understand.

#10 | Posted by JOE at 2020-02-24 12:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#11 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-24 12:50 PM | Reply

But he didn't.

He used a Nazi invasion.

So the outrage is more justified than you claim it is, because the person he was talking about has family members who were murdered by Nazis.

But if you want to talk about what Matthews "could have said," have at it. Not even sure what the point of that is.

#12 | Posted by JOE at 2020-02-24 12:57 PM | Reply

I am not a fan of Chris Matthews. I stopped watching his show years ago because of his annoying habit of interrupting and talking over his guests after he asked them a question, which I have posted about in the past. Having said that, Matthews did not compare "Sanders' Nevada Win To Nazi Invasion". What he compared was the fact that Bernie's competitors and establishment Democrats are waking up to the fact that they need to stop Bernie when now it's too late to Church waking up to the fact that France was going fall when it was too late to do anything about it. Matthews referenced an earlier segment in which Carville made the point that it was likely too late for any of the other Dem candidates to stop Bernie. "It's over" is the part of the history Matthews had been reading about the night before that's being compared, not that Bernie winning is like the fall of France. LOL Even Chris Matthews isn't that delusional. How do I know that? Because he interview Nina Turner on air on another segment about Bernie's NV victory, and it was a very cordial interview. I expect everyone who hates Matthews to dismiss what I'm saying, and I expect MSNBC, who it's been said wants to re-figure its evening schedule to move Nicole Wallace into a prime time slot, to use this brouhaha to oust Matthews, but this is a mischaracterization of what he said/meant.

#13 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 12:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#14 | Posted by rcade at 2020-02-24 01:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That's how I see it as well.

"I don't disagree with it being tone deaf/offensive as Matthews often is, but this is a prime example of missing the forest for the trees, as Effete so aptly demonstrates."

Yes to both points, unfortunately.

"Matthews could have just as easily used battles such as Midway, Stalingrad, the Battle of the Marne, Antietam, Gettysburg or Saratoga to make the same point."

He could have and probably should have, but as he said, "I was reading last night about the fall of France in the summer of 1940," said Matthews, "And the general, Reynaud, calls up Churchill and says, 'It's over.' And Churchill says, 'How can that be? You've got the greatest army in Europe. How can it be over?' He said, 'It's over.'"

#15 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 01:04 PM | Reply

"How is it a defense of an offensive remark to say he could've said something non-offensive instead?

That's like defending O.J. by saying he could've left Nicole an angry voicemail."

Oh my.

#16 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 01:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#2 | Posted by Rightocenter

The analogy only becomes more valid.

#17 | Posted by Zed at 2020-02-24 01:07 PM | Reply

I've been a huge Hardball fan. I think it's time for MSNBC to cut him loose. Put someone in his spot who isn't lost in the past and paranoid about the present.

#18 | Posted by rcade at 2020-02-24 01:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"After Matthews said that a socialist victory would've led to executions in Central Park in the 1950s and "certain other people" (like Sanders) would have cheered it on, he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt on his Nazi comparison."

I'm not familiar with those observations, but you are saying it's a pattern?

#19 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 01:13 PM | Reply

"I've been a huge Hardball fan."

Yes, I remember you saying that youliked the show in the past. Me, too. I never heard Matthews spew anything the untoward when I used to watch the show, but I haven't watched the show regularly for quite a while.

#20 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 01:19 PM | Reply

Okay, I googled:

MSNBC HOST CHRIS MATTHEWS TIES BERNIE SANDERS TO FEARS OF SOCIALIST 'EXECUTIONS IN CENTRAL PARK,' FIDEL CASTRO

Visibly-shocked fellow MSNBC panel members Chris Hayes and Lawrence O'Donnell attempted to interject, as Matthews said he may have been executed in Central Park if capitalism hadn't defeated socialism during the Cold War.

www.newsweek.com

I liked watching Nicole at 4 but 7 will work too.

#21 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 01:24 PM | Reply

"I'm not familiar with those observations, but you are saying it's a pattern?"

Now that you are familiar with those observations the next question you should ask yourself, as somebody who follows politics regularly, how is it possible that you haven't heard about it somewhere else? I might suggest that it is because your sources are narrow. And as a regular MSNBC viewer, the follow up question should be why did people in the room (Chris Hayes and Lawrence O'Donnell) only attempt to interject rather than forcefully stopping him dead in his tracks to point out the outlandishness of Matthews' statement and demand he apologize right then and there? The answer to that question I'd actually like to hear from you first before I share what I think the answer is.

#22 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-02-24 01:41 PM | Reply

Yes, I remember you saying that youliked the show in the past.

There have been times it was literally the only MSNBC show I watched. These days I like Wallace better. Stephanie Ruhle is also good.

#23 | Posted by rcade at 2020-02-24 01:51 PM | Reply

... how is it possible that you haven't heard about it somewhere else?

I don't think it's unusual to have missed the Matthews/execution story when he's a non-primetime MSNBC host and Trump is creating a tsunami of news all the time tweeting on the can.

I was a fan and a friend of Alan Colmes. Even when he died it was a minor story to most people across politics. (It was major for me, of course. He was a great guy who was a big fan of this place.)

#24 | Posted by rcade at 2020-02-24 01:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"how is it possible that you haven't heard about it somewhere else? I might suggest that it is because your sources are narrow."

I read here. Was the story posted? It may have been and I still missed. There are a lot of outrageous things being said and done just about everyday, on both sies of the aisle, I can't say I can keep on all of them or that I want to.

#25 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 01:58 PM | Reply

"And as a regular MSNBC viewer, the follow up question should be why did people in the room (Chris Hayes and Lawrence O'Donnell) only attempt to interject rather than forcefully stopping him dead in his tracks to point out the outlandishness of Matthews' statement and demand he apologize right then and there? "

From the brief clip I saw, Chris Hayes, who is a Bernie supporter, cut Matthews off and went to another interview. I don't think it is the place of other analysts to demand Matthews apologize for his beliefs. They can challenge him on them, which Hayes did.

#26 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 02:06 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2020-02-24 01:01 PM

You are mistaking my explanation of the historical underpinnings of his comment (as Gal notes) for a defense. I am not a Matthews fan by any stretch of the imagination but I do understand the point (however inelegantly/insensitive/oblivious) he was trying to make: Sanders has gone around the Maginot Line erected by the DNC elite and there isn't much they can do about it at this point.

#27 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-24 02:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Nobody disputes that he had a point to make. The controversy is around the analogy he chose to use to explain that point - a Nazi invasion as applied to a Jewish man whose family was murdered by Nazis.

Keep flailing, it's fun to watch.

#28 | Posted by JOE at 2020-02-24 02:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I mean how desperate do you have to be to accuse liberals of hypocrisy that you argue that Chris Matthews' analogy was not offensive here because he could have used some other analogy?

Desperate. Sad.

#29 | Posted by JOE at 2020-02-24 02:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I was fortunate to meet Alan a couple of times and share your grief in his passing, anyone who could put up with Sean Hannity is a saint.

More people like Alan are sorely needed in this day and age.

#30 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-24 02:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Matthews is a Bloomberg aka Trump 2.0 supporter, so it's not surprising he would attack a family of Holocaust victims by calling them Nazis. Bloombergers are just dividing Democrats at this point.

#31 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-02-24 02:15 PM | Reply

Keep flailing, it's fun to watch.
Desperate. Sad.

I'm sorry you can only see an honest difference of opinion as a politically motivated act of desperation.

#32 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 02:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I get it, you are pissed that Matthews doesn't like Sanders and I agree that his analogy is offensive to Jews.

Do you agree that the Left calling the GOP Nazis and Israel a fascist state is similarly offensive to Jewish Republicans and the Nation of Israel?

#33 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-24 02:18 PM | Reply

The only thing that is desperate is Joe's continual need to prove me wrong about something, or anything, that I post.

#34 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-24 02:20 PM | Reply

"so it's not surprising he would attack a family of Holocaust victims by calling them Nazis. "

Is this seriously what people think he did?

#35 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 02:21 PM | Reply

"I agree that his analogy is offensive to Jews."

I do, too, but I still don't think he attacked "a family of Holocaust victims by calling them Nazis." Please explain.

#36 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 02:24 PM | Reply

Should I have been gentler with Matthews' feelings, now that he's the victim here?

#37 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-02-24 02:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#37 Please, it's not about Matthews' feelings. It's about wanting to understand how you got that he attacked "a family of Holocaust victims by calling them Nazis" out of his comments?

#38 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 02:35 PM | Reply

Never been a fan but, I think he's gone insane.
It's time for him to retire.

#39 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2020-02-24 03:02 PM | Reply

#38 - people don't just use comparisons like that for no reason. He probably wasn't thinking about Sanders' religion or his family's past, that I'll concede, but he clearly thinks Sanders is a villain of sorts and so chose what he thought was an appropriate comparison to describe his success.

#40 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-02-24 03:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Or, as he said on the air before he made the comment in question, he was reading "about the fall of France in the summer of 1940" and he made a comment quoting a French General's comment to the English Prime Minister about how the war was over as soon as it began because of the success of the Blitzkreig and France's inability to do anything to stop it.

And once again, it is apparent that Matthews doesn't like Sanders.

#41 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-24 03:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#41 - he's just not getting the tingle up his leg, it's just not the same.

#42 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-02-24 03:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Matthews obviously sees "sohshulism" as a great bugbear and hits at it unthinkingly. He has no nuance when it comes to Bernie apparently. He is an old has been anyhow. He's still fighting the cold war for god's sake. Maybe he should retire to a safe place and relax. His opinions carry no weight any more.

#43 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-02-24 03:41 PM | Reply

His opinions carry no weight any more.
#43 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER AT 2020-02-24 03:41 PM

Unlike his Depends.

#44 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-02-24 03:43 PM | Reply

"people don't just use comparisons like that for no reason."

True, but I cut him slack because he said he was reading about he fall of France in the summer of 1940 the night before, and I took him at his word that that was the reason the comparison sprang to mind.

#45 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 04:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"He probably wasn't thinking about Sanders' religion or his family's past, that I'll concede, but he clearly thinks Sanders is a villain of sorts and so chose what he thought was an appropriate comparison to describe his success."

Yes, he fears a Bernie candidacy/presidency and does seem to see him as a villain of sorts, but, again, I don't think he was commenting on Sanders success but on the "it's over part" of the situation that Carville had earlier referenced. Matthews would be good as a guest once in a while to give voice to what some older Americans and Cuban-Americans think/feel about socialism. Bernie needs to keep speaking to their fears, and I believe he will. My 2 cents.

#46 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 04:19 PM | Reply

I was a friend's house who was watching Hardball. Just as the show came on I said, I bet he is going to address the brouhaha first thing. He did. He apologized, said he was wrong to use that example, promised to do better, be more thoughtful, in the future. He also congratulated Bernie on his win in NV.

Matthews apologizes for Nazi analogy to Sanders victory

MSNBC's Chris Matthews apologized Monday to Bernie Sanders for comparing the Democratic senator's win in the Nevada caucus to the Nazi takeover of France.

Matthews' self-described "bad" analogy deepened the discontent that the presidential candidate and his supporters have been feeling lately toward the cable network, one that is usually friendly territory for liberals.

"Sen. Sanders, I'm sorry for comparing anything from that tragic era in which so many suffered, especially the Jewish people, to an electoral result in which you were the well-deserved winner," Matthews said at the opening of his show, "Hardball," on Monday evening.

apnews.com

#47 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 09:05 PM | Reply

I thought he used the actual word, "Nazi", in his comparison..........(reading the article above would have told me otherwise).

Then I actually heard the quote in context to the conversation with the panel.

Honestly, I thought there was ZERO wrong with what he said. I surely understood his context. Sanders campaign appears to be snowballing the competition.

#48 | Posted by brass30 at 2020-02-25 09:02 AM | Reply

Agreed, especially about actually reading the article (and that is not aimed at you) and taking a few seconds to comprehend the context and wording of what Matthews said rather than hearing someone in the Echo Chamber scream "Bernie was compared to Nazis" and then start running in circles screaming about it with the rest of the mouth breathers without actually using their brain to think about it.

I saw that Matthews apologized for his comment but he really shouldn't have had to do that.

#49 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-25 01:07 PM | Reply

Matthews, along with most of the mainstream liberal leaning punditry, just can't wrap their minds around Sander's popularity. Since they did not anoint him, they don't accept him.

#50 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-02-25 04:19 PM | Reply