Monday, February 24, 2020

Do Democrats actually want to win the White House in November?

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

I ask because it is generally agreed that ousting President Trump will require winning back those blue-collar workers in swing states who crossed party lines to vote Republican in 2016. Sanders is most definitely not the most likely candidate to do that.

There's a reason that left-wing commentator Chris Mathews compared Sanders' win in Nevada to France falling to the Nazis in 1940. For Democrats, it's almost that dire.

But really, Bernie is not alone. No candidate seems to be tailoring his or her message to those traditional Democrats who rejected Hillary Clinton.

Comments

I don' think that link means what you think it means....

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2020-02-24 09:59 PM | Reply

You're just terrified that he might win and that's making you soil your spidey underroos.

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-02-24 10:06 PM | Reply

Opinion: Why Bernie cannot and will not beat Trump

Simple, Trump is the incumbent. The political pendulum only swings every 8 years. Has less to do with Bernie and more to do with Trump and the 'raging ------ of an economy' we are experiencing. That's what's probable.

At least with Sanders there's the 'out of left field' component that Obama, Bush, Clinton, and Reagan all benefitted from. I don't believe it'll be enough in 2020, but Biden's chances were sunk the minute he decided to campaign.

#3 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-02-24 10:24 PM | Reply

Yeah, that reason has nothing to do with Bernie's chances and everything to do with Chris Mathew's and MSNBC's stock holders disinterest in massive taxes on the wealthy than ANYTHING else.

There's a reason the DNC buried Bernie in 2016 and it had less to do with Hillary than it did with Bernie's fiscal policy stances.

#4 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-02-24 10:27 PM | Reply

The economy is already starting to tank,bro. There's this virus that's screwing up the supply chains from China,maybe you've heard about it. Trump is on borrowed time. He is hopelessly incompetent. Bernie will rule.

#5 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-02-24 10:28 PM | Reply

This opinion article was from March 1, 2019.

Clearly this person wasn't expecting Sanders to win all three initial primaries.

Let's see what happened on Tuesday.

This literally reminds me of Trump. No one thought he could win. But state after state, he did.

Now he's the president.

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-02-24 10:29 PM | Reply

--There's this virus that's screwing up the supply chains from China,

Maybe globalization isn't the great thing that its cheerleaders say it is. Maybe we should have a diversified portfolio and reduce dependence on any one country.

#7 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-02-24 10:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This headline doesn't come within a mile of accurately describing the link.

#8 | Posted by rcade at 2020-02-24 10:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Democrats do love to make things tough on themselves.

#9 | Posted by truthhurts at 2020-02-24 10:54 PM | Reply

#7 It's a little late for that to save your boy,he's toast. When the economy tanks people will be coming after him with brickbats,LOL.

#10 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-02-24 11:06 PM | Reply

What do you all think? How much of Bernie's "support" is Republicans crossing over to vote for him because they think he will be the easiest candidate to beat?:

Not Nico Psycho Magnet XW @Nicoxw1

Nevada Pro-Trump activists used same day registration to become Democrats, voted Bernie and switched back to Republican.

Now tell me that Trump doesn't want to face Bernie.

And how in the world is this allowed?

twitter.com

The guy in the video seems legit. I wonder if there is anyone keeping track of these crossover "Operation Chaos" voters?:

Operation Chaos 2020!

It's Time for Republicans to Disrupt the SC Presidential Primaries

ENLIST TODAY

operationchaos2020.com

#11 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 11:09 PM | Reply

Goatman told me the other night he plans on voting for Bernie in TX for this very reason, so it is happening. My question is: how much?

#12 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 11:11 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

That's a great question and I honestly don't know how it can be tracked.

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-02-24 11:15 PM | Reply

Not enough to decide the primary.

#14 | Posted by rcade at 2020-02-24 11:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#14 No, especially not in NV where Bernie's margin of victory was so large, over 25 points.

#15 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 11:33 PM | Reply

Trump will beat Sanders like a red-headed step-child.

He'll give Sanders a wedgie on the debate stage and that old Socialist will stand there stammering and not understanding why our Communist government isn't coming to his rescue.

Sanders has funny hair, a funny voice, he's a Jew who despises Israel and he's a capital "S" Socialist.

He has a low political ceiling and it matches his height.

When Sanders concedes after losing 42 states Trump is going to give him a nuggy.

#16 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-02-24 11:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Jeff is right, it would be impossible to say in open primary states that don't require party registration like Texas. ( I think there are 11 such states) In states that do require party registration but allow same day change, it would be easier as in the aforementioned crowd who were registered Republicans switch to Democrat then back to Republicans.

#17 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-24 11:37 PM | Reply

I'm telling all of you right now that I'm right.

#18 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-02-24 11:39 PM | Reply

"Not enough to decide the primary.

#14 | POSTED BY RCADE"

It most certainly could in a close primary. 1,000 swing voters in Florida in 2000 could have changed that election (depending on who's recount numbers you believe)

#19 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-24 11:40 PM | Reply

Hillary wanted to take on Trump. We saw how that played out. Go ahead and screw with the primaries. You are just helping Bernie win. You guys really don't know schitt.Lol.

#20 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-02-24 11:43 PM | Reply

"Trump will beat Sanders like a red-headed step-child."

Maybe, but Bernie is probably the best bet for Democrats because that's were the energy in the party is, especially in terms of young people and Hispanic voters. I recently heard someone floating the idea I'd heard a few months back and thought was a joke: Bring in John Kerry. I guess if there is a brokered convention. Talk about suicidally stupid. How many people were excited about Kerry 16 years ago? I wasn't, although I did vote for him. If you are going to bring in a ringer, you'd have to do a lot better than that, and I can't think of anyone that would really fit the bill. I'd rather go with Bernie and hope and pray like hell.

#21 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-24 11:46 PM | Reply

I doubt it Gal..

My guess is they have out lefted themselves, taken over by crazies ...

But you do you !

#22 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-02-24 11:50 PM | Reply

But you do you !
#22 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

As much of an objective observer as you can muster, who do you feel is the best alternative to Bernie?

#23 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-02-24 11:54 PM | Reply

#22 I've been trying to figure out how to convince some in my family (who don't like Trump and didn't like Hillary but did vote for her) to vote for Bernie. I think it would be easier to get them to vote for Biden, Klobuchar or Warren, e.g. I think the socialism talk will scare them. Or at least it will scare my mother. We'll see. I'm going to have to bust out my best persuasive skills. Maybe Bernie's VP pick will help.

#24 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-02-25 12:00 AM | Reply

After Bernie wins the nom, he'll be battered and bruised by other Democrats pronouncing he can't win. Bloomberg at al are doing nothing but dividing Democrats and destroying their own frontrunner.

#25 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-02-25 12:47 AM | Reply

From the Democrat side, "best" is obviously biased, but I think MayorPete is probably the "best", but Clownshack has some hesitancy.

#26 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-02-25 12:56 AM | Reply

I think the Dems will submarine him at the convention.

#27 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-02-25 12:57 AM | Reply

- you do you !

Mackris doing his lame millennial impression.... which is obviously still popular in Moscow.

#28 | Posted by Corky at 2020-02-25 01:01 AM | Reply

#28 | POSTED BY CORKY

Pretty much out of ideas hey Corky? Go to sleep ... those who can't recruit ...

Be in Naples soon flying on a G6, new for me, going to see the Bradenton to see the Greensboro Grasshoppers new pitcher? Wanna go?

#29 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-02-25 01:13 AM | Reply

#29 -- if you're ever in San Antonio, I'll treat you just a San Antonio Missions game. You'll get to see Henry the Puffy Taco during the 7th inning stretch

#30 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-25 01:26 AM | Reply

This headline doesn't come within a mile of accurately describing the link.

#8 | Posted by rcade

I'm sure you will change it for the frontpage. You always do. :)

I wanted to convey the sense that Trump will destroy Sanders and the Democrats are losing their most important voter. The moderate.

#31 | Posted by boaz at 2020-02-25 08:15 AM | Reply

It's primary season. Right now it's all about the base.

Key is who will move back towards the middle to court those voters if they get the candidacy.

I suspect Bernie would not.

#32 | Posted by jpw at 2020-02-25 09:58 AM | Reply

Bradenton... - andreamackris

Check out St. Pete if you haven't already visited the area. Miss that area somedays, especially in grey weather like what the DMV has seen for the last few weeks.

#33 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-25 10:14 AM | Reply

#33,

I second that. When I was stationed in Tampa, I used to go to St. Pete and Clearwater all the time.

#34 | Posted by boaz at 2020-02-25 10:33 AM | Reply

This message brought to you by Russian Assets for Hillary.

#35 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-02-25 12:30 PM | Reply

Bradenton... - andreamackris

#33 | POSTED BY Comrade GONOLES92
Oh Fat Andy know St Petersburg well....

St Petersburg, Russia.

#36 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2020-02-25 02:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"If Biden ends up the Dem nominee, it would make Trump's reelection even MORE probable as Biden has been established as the 'next in line candidate,' a complete loser strategy for the DNC as most recently evidenced by HRC in 2016."

As pointed out before, Sanders is the actual "next in line candidate". He was the runner up for the nomination last time. He's also older than Biden, FFS.

"At least with Sanders there's the 'out of left field' component that Obama, Bush, Clinton, and Reagan all benefitted from."

If anyone fits that criterion, it would be Bloomberg or Buttigieg.

"I don't believe it'll be enough in 2020, but Biden's chances were sunk the minute he decided to campaign."

Nonsense. Biden would still carry more swing states than Sanders.

#37 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-02-25 03:55 PM | Reply

This is a stupid thread posted by a stupid poster who fears and hates Bernie Sanders. I hope it stays up for many days here on the DR. Kind of like rat poison.

#38 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-02-25 03:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I love all the hand wringing the right wingers are doing in this thread.

#39 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-02-25 04:16 PM | Reply

Yes, yes...We all remember the "hand winging" that the left was doing at the prospect of a Trump candidacy...

You were salivating then as the R's are salivating now. We'll have to see if democrats have learned to play Trump's game as well as he did in 2016. At least with Russia bolstering both Sanders & Trump we won't have to hear that weak excuse any more.

#40 | Posted by Avigdore at 2020-02-25 05:35 PM | Reply

Look how that turned out.

#41 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-02-25 05:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sanders could win. There's no doubt.

#42 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-02-25 07:40 PM | Reply

If someone more likeable and less plastic than Hillary started preaching a Bill Clinton platform, they'd run away with it.

#43 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2020-02-26 03:01 PM | Reply