Thursday, February 27, 2020

Next week, when Starbucks rolls out its spring menu in stores across Canada, it will include one notable addition: a breakfast sandwich with Beyond Meat sausage. Starbucks joins a growing list of brands that have added Beyond Meat's plant-based offerings to their menus. To date, those companies include McDonald's (also a Canadian pilot), KFC, Subway, Carl's Jr., Hardee's and more.

Comments

Oh this is just dandy. More snooty foods for the snooty pretentious people.

#1 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-02-26 05:49 PM | Reply

" Oh this is just dandy. More snooty foods for the snooty pretentious people."

Tell me where the barista touched you, Laura.

#2 | Posted by Hagbard_celine at 2020-02-26 06:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 5

I think meat substitutes are great.

Less cruelty to animals.

I went veg for about 6 months, but went off the wagon one drunken night in chicago with 2, perhaps 3 hot dogs.

#3 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2020-02-26 06:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-02-26 06:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#4 |

OK, that's fkking beyond the pale...

#5 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2020-02-26 06:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Oh this is just dandy. More snooty foods for the snooty pretentious people.
#1 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

"Tell me where the barista touched you, Laura.
#2 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE"

Even the barista isn't sure what he touched.

#6 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-26 06:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

" I drink Folgers Crystals or Taster's Choice. Much cheaper and just as good. Yummers."

Add this to the list of evidence that your senses of taste and smell are an absolute wreck, sister. ;p

#7 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-02-26 07:12 PM | Reply

Do they come with a training bra for the men?

#8 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-02-26 07:41 PM | Reply

I think its both fitting and hilarious that Canadians are our "lab mice" for fast food tasting.

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-26 08:04 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE AT 2020-02-26 07:12 PM | REPLY | FLAG

More for me then.

#10 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-02-26 08:19 PM | Reply

What did Burger King say to Starbuck's in response to their new product?

"You can't beat our meat."

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-26 09:11 PM | Reply

I know someone who packs lippers of Folgers crystal coffee. W.T.F.

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-26 09:58 PM | Reply

"I know someone who packs lippers of Folgers crystal coffee. W.T.F.

#12 | POSTED BY GONOLES92"

Coffee is one of the biggest treats in life. It's why I would never drink instant, or Folger's, or Maxwell house, or go to a Starbucks. Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

#13 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-26 10:00 PM | Reply

Life's too short to drink bad coffee. POSTED BY GOATMAN
So true. Bad coffee is one of the biggest disappointments in the workday.

Ever see a Senior Chief's mug?

Looks like ground zero of the coronavirus after a few tours of "seasoning."

#14 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-02-26 10:03 PM | Reply

"Ever see a Senior Chief's mug?
Looks like ground zero of the coronavirus after a few tours of "seasoning."

#14 | POSTED BY GONOLES92 "

I only made it to PO2, but my coffee mug looked like something from the goat locker as well. Hell, I don't wash my coffee cup at home, either. just a daily quick cold water rinse.

#15 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-26 10:15 PM | Reply

#16 | Posted by Charliecharles at 2020-02-26 10:25 PM | Reply

"Remembering the great surprise in the morning to find out the coffee was made with saltwater. Real wake up.

#16 | POSTED BY CHARLIECHARLES "

The only time I had that was as a pollywog crossing the equator.

#17 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-27 05:54 AM | Reply

Never drank a cup of coffee in my life.

I had been criticized on 3 different continents for it.

#18 | Posted by kudzu at 2020-02-27 09:41 AM | Reply

With all their pretentious names for drink sizes, more fakery is to be expected from this outfit. Fake meat sprinkled with pumpkin spice? No thanks.

#19 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-02-27 11:39 AM | Reply

At least we'll get to find out whether avoiding proper, healthy, Godly food actually makes men into little girls.

#20 | Posted by contrecoup at 2020-02-27 11:40 AM | Reply

Fake meat is so engineered and processed I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being no healthier or environmentally friendly than the real meat it replaces.

I'm holding out for real meat grown in a Petei dish. No reason to bring a sentient being into existence just to slaughter it for its meat.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-27 11:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"With all their pretentious names for drink sizes,
#19 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN "

LOL That was my first experience with a Starbucks many years ago. I didn't even look at the menu; I just said, "I want a medium black coffee." The server said "You mean a [unpronounceable Italian word]?" I said, "No, a medium." She said, "Well we have [three unpronounceable Italian words]." I told her I shouldn't have to learn a foreign language to order coffee. I walked out and have never been to one on my own again. As you said, pretentious --------.

Besides, I don't own an Apple device I can sit at the table and look cool with while I'm drinking grossly overpriced low quality coffee.

#22 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-27 11:53 AM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

I'm not sure what the big deal is. If there is a customer base who wants it, why not sell it?

I'd try it but don't expect me to switch off of beef.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of tasty tasty meat.

#23 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-02-27 11:54 AM | Reply

"Life's too short to drink bad coffee. POSTED BY GOATMAN
So true. Bad coffee is one of the biggest disappointments in the workday."

So true.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-27 11:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'd try it but don't expect me to switch off of beef.

#23 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT AT 2020-02-27 11:54 AM

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-02-27 12:01 PM | Reply

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-02-27 12:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I don't go to Starbucks as I find their coffee tastes like scorched motor oil

That said, I'm good with this. I've been vegetarian for just over a year and Beyond Meat is rather fantastic.

#27 | Posted by RevDarko at 2020-02-27 12:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"One of life's great joys is a properly cooked medium-rare ribeye with a good sear.

#25 | POSTED BY JEFFJ "

Rare with a good sear, and allowed to sit under a foil tent for ten minutes after taking off the grill.

#28 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-27 12:40 PM | Reply

And flaky sea salt, and something to soak up the juices.

#29 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-02-27 12:46 PM | Reply

"I told her I shouldn't have to learn a foreign language to order coffee."

And you accuse them of being pretentious?
That's hilarious!
I wish I coulda been there to see it.

Anyway, you remind me of my favorite made-up Geoege W Bush quote, obliquely warning us about the moral hazard of Socialism:

"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur."

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-27 01:01 PM | Reply

There's a fake meat made by a chef in my neighborhood that they sell at my local grocer. It's a fake shredded smoked chicken made from chickpeas, vital wheat gluten, pineapple juice, soy sauce, and a ton of flavorings. It's easily the best fake meat i've ever tasted. The texture and flavor are incredible and i've given it to a number of meateaters who agree it's good. I'm not vegetarian but i eat it at least once a week because handling and cooking meat can be burdensome. I hope the industry continues to make strides in this area.

#31 | Posted by JOE at 2020-02-27 01:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There's an old hippie black bean or lentil (or maybe both) burger recipe that makes the best veggie burger I've ever had, far better than any of the commercially available products.

But I've never had Beyond Meat so I can't say if it's better than that.

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-27 01:57 PM | Reply

For me, beyond meat is literally ---- that I flush away.

#33 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-27 02:41 PM | Reply

"Trump eating steaks well done and doused with ketchup is by far his biggest impeachable offense.

#26 | POSTED BY JEFFJ "

My best friend used to come over and eat with me and my family every Sunday. We almost always had nice steaks. He liked his well done. I refused to cook it. I made him do it himself. My wife would get mad at me. I told her he's lucky I don't make him pay for it, too. What a sin to cook a well marbled 1.5 inch rib eye to well done. He's dead now. In hell, I'm sure. But I'll bet he gets his meat cooked as he likes it there.

#34 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-27 02:44 PM | Reply

But I've never had Beyond Meat so I can't say if it's better than that.

#32 | Posted by snoofy

I love meat but I'm not a fan of Beyond Meat Burgers. I am told by my vegetarian wife and others that couldn't believe it wasn't real meat. I was at the restaurant when my wife tried it. She seriously was questioning the waiter. I could look at it and tell but she thought they made a mistake. So I bought a couple patties and tried it at home. It's "ok" - but like real meat not good for you. As the company CEO stated the intent isn't to be "good for you" it's intent is to taste and have the texture of meat so people will choose it over meat. Texture is close-ish. Taste I don't think so but I eat meat... What they are is greasy like a plain hamburg though. Of course plain old 80/20 hamburg probably does taste the best but I always get 95%+ meat.

I was doing pretty good vegetarian wise but I am on a diet where I am eating some meat everyday presently. I love meat, I don't love where it comes from or the industry. But I am also limited in my choices - red meat only. I have to limit my intake for health reasons if nothing else. Personally I find I love a lot of Vegetarian dishes from the Middle East and India.

Black beans and lentils are a mainstay of our diet. My wife makes this great ------------- mushroom/walnut dish that reminds me a lot of chili dog sauce. Of course I really love using it as a dip with some tortilla chips...

#35 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-02-27 04:57 PM | Reply

For me, beyond meat is literally ---- that I flush away.
#33 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Same as regular meat, then.

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-02-27 05:50 PM | Reply

#27 | POSTED BY REVDARKO AT 2020-02-27 12:35 PM | FLAG:

It's made with only the finest GMO soybean dna enhanced living organisms.

#37 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-27 05:56 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I miss a few years ago, when someone on here swore that people not washing their hands at Chipolte was a Monsanto GMO conspiracy.

Impossible Foods is really screwing up GMO hatred for people.

#38 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-27 05:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

As the company CEO stated the intent isn't to be "good for you" it's intent is to taste and have the texture of meat so people will choose it over meat. Texture is close-ish. Taste I don't think so.

I was vegetarian for a few years in my early 20s (and vegan while I dated a super hot psycho vegan in SF during law school) but felt the never ending quest by vegetarians to find things that look and taste like meat pretty ironic.

#39 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-02-27 06:29 PM | Reply

I think it's reasonable to admit that the taste and texture of meat is naturally appetizing but to feel that the meat industry is morally appalling.

Frankly i'm most of the way there but there's something about grilled meat (and the nutrition profile of meats in general) that keeps me coming back.

#40 | Posted by JOE at 2020-02-27 06:41 PM | Reply

"The prevalence of the Keurig machine is yet another reason to avoid the workplace.

#24 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"

I use a Bodum vacuum coffee maker. It is somewhat of PITA -- definitely not as easy to use as Keurig -- but with the right beans and a Burr grinder, it makes the best coffee I have ever had hands down.

#41 | Posted by goatman at 2020-02-28 08:50 AM | Reply

More snooty foods
#1 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

What's snooty about processed plant material?

#42 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2020-02-28 02:21 PM | Reply

You can't be woke and be a GMO food. It's Monsanto Soy.

#43 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-02-29 08:56 AM | Reply