Sunday, March 08, 2020

The dreaded "Spring Ahead" has finally arrived: on Sunday, March 8, the clock will jump one hour forward at 2 a.m. to mark the official start of daylight saving time.

Comments

My vote is year round daylight savings time. I love the extra daylight at the end of the day, not the beginning of the day!

#1 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-03-07 08:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Change your smoke detector batteries.

www.nhregister.com

...Fire officials are reminding everyone to change the batteries in their smoke alarms when they set their clocks forward an hour this weekend.

Daylight savings time will see clocks spring forward an hour at 2 a.m. Sunday. As in many years past, the Fire Department said it was using "this event toremind people to change the batteries in their moke and carbon monoxide alarms."

"The cost of regularly replacing the batteries in all of your detectors is a small price to pay for your family's safety", said Alan Zygmunt, public fire and life safety coordinator at the Connecticut Fire Academy.

Between 2012 and 2016, nearly three out of five home fire deaths occurred in homes where there was no smoke alarm, or had a smoke alarm that was not working, according to the National Fire Protection Association....

Good advice. Of course, being the son of a NYC firefighter, I may be biased....

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-03-07 08:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Is that 2 a.m. standard time, or daylight savings time?

#3 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-03-07 08:32 PM | Reply

#2 My homeowners insurance sends me a 4-pack of 9 volt batteries every October and a reminder to change them when the time changes in October.

#4 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-03-07 08:43 PM | Reply

It should stay at Standard time year round. Because that's what time it is.

The sun should be at zenith dead south (ish) at noon.

Anything else is stupid.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-03-07 08:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#4 ... My homeowners insurance sends me a 4-pack of 9 volt batteries every October and a reminder to change them when the time changes in October. ...

Cheap "insurance" for them to reduce the likelihood of a claim. :)

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-03-07 09:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#5 ... Because that's what time it is. ...

Time is what we define it.

Do we still say that the sun orbits the Earth because that is how we said what it was?

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-03-07 09:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And I'll add to this discussion...

All the areas I've been a part of, areas where time was critical, the time that was used was UTC.

So maybe we all should be on UTC time?

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-03-07 09:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#6 Yep. Same with my medical insurance. Free annual check ups. Free mammograms. Four free GP visits a year. Preventative medicine is what it's all about.

#9 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-03-07 09:42 PM | Reply

@#9 ... Preventative medicine is what it's all about. ...

You may not like me saying this, but I will say it anyway...

Thank Obamacare for that.

There, I said it.

And now I return you to our regularly scheduled program...

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-03-07 09:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#10 I had BCBS before the ACA with that same benefits.

#11 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-03-07 09:57 PM | Reply

@#11 had BCBS before the ACA with that same benefits.

Not my Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

But to your point, Obamacare took a good idea and made it apply nationally.

That is A Good Thing, yes?

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-03-07 10:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There are small advantages to either time. Just pick one and leave it. How many people are injured each change climbing up on chairs, tables, and whatever to reach clocks?

#13 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2020-03-08 11:55 AM | Reply

Never bothered me until I had a kid. Young kids don't adjust their sleep cycle just because you tell them the government mandates it.

#14 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-03-08 01:18 PM | Reply

Time is what we define it.

Well let's just go Metric and put 100 seconds in a minute.

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-03-08 01:24 PM | Reply

I have a stopped up kitchen sink, so for me, there are more important things to worry about.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2020-03-08 01:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

DST was originally started to help farmers during planting and harvesting.

It is being kept because of the heating/cooling/lighting used by households with more dark during awake hours. Since those systems are now astronomically more efficient, it is time to end the practice of changing it.

Leave it on the summer schedule and be done with it.

#17 | Posted by kudzu at 2020-03-08 01:45 PM | Reply

Can we just move it 30 minutes and be done with it?

#18 | Posted by Petrous at 2020-03-08 02:06 PM | Reply

We should stay on DST permanently.
Losing an hour of evening when the evenings are getting shorter is stupid and bad for our health.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-08 02:17 PM | Reply

#16 Do you ever have a happy day, ever?

#20 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-03-08 02:19 PM | Reply

My son came by and fixed my sink and then I realized I still don't give a crap if it is DST, it will be great to play outside with the kids a little longer each day. I appreciate the objections to it but really, I just don't care.

#21 | Posted by danni at 2020-03-08 02:59 PM | Reply

#21 Hey thanks for playing, that's two posts on a thread you don't care about. I'm happy your sink is fixed.

#22 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-03-08 03:15 PM | Reply

Ahhhh -- the bi-annual wailing and gnashing of teeth over DST.

Here in Texas we have the same number of hours per day with or without it. I'm pretty sure it's like that everywhere else.

#23 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-08 03:20 PM | Reply

"So maybe we all should be on UTC time?

#8 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER "

The Soviet Union had one time zone. It seemed to work for them. Who cares if the sun rises at 1 PM? It's all arbitrary. Why is it so important the sun be at the meridian at 12:00 or any other arbitrarily designated time?

If noon must be defined as when the sun crosses the meridian, technically, there are an infinite number of time zones.

#24 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-08 03:26 PM | Reply

DST was originally started to help farmers during planting and harvesting.

#17 | POSTED BY KUDZU "

No, it wasn't. Farmers get up and work by the sun, not the clock. It was made popular by Germany to help the war (WWI) effort. In fact, farmers disliked it.

The war's end swung the pendulum back. Farmers continued to dislike DST, and many countries repealed it after the war...
"Time Changes in Berlin Over the Years". timeanddate.com.

It stayed on in some places after the war, but none of the reasons had to do with farming.

#25 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-08 03:37 PM | Reply

We don't have it in AZ. I think one of the reservations have it.

#26 | Posted by willowby at 2020-03-08 05:02 PM | Reply

The Navajo reservation has it as half of it is in New Mexico. As for the rest of the state, we are on the west end of MST so we don't want to wait until 9:30 for the sun to go down when it's 110 out.

I've read that Ben Franklin suggested it because candles were expensive for many and an extra hour of evening light would save money.

#27 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-03-08 05:37 PM | Reply

You'd prefer it to still be dark at 10am?

#28 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-03-08 06:09 PM | Reply

Can we just move it 30 minutes and be done with it?

#18 | POSTED BY PETROUS AT 2020-03-08 02:06 PM | FLAG:

Hey, I kinda like this idea. Split the difference.

#29 | Posted by cbob at 2020-03-08 09:34 PM | Reply

I can highly recommend the book, 'Spring Forward: The Annual Madness of Daylight Saving Time', by Michael Downing.

www.amazon.com

OCU

#30 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-03-08 09:36 PM | Reply

Why is it liberals are always trying to change things that work?

dumb asses.

#31 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-09 09:44 AM | Reply

DST was originally started to help farmers during planting and harvesting.

#17 | POSTED BY KUDZU "

Kuntz, you don't know ---- about anything. It was started during the war to save fuel. What a joke. It saves nothing. we have the same amount of daylight no mater how you set your damn clock.

#32 | Posted by Sniper at 2020-03-09 12:01 PM | Reply

"You'd prefer it to still be dark at 10am?"

If it's light out at 6 pm hell yes.

#33 | Posted by dibblda at 2020-03-09 05:23 PM | Reply

Why is it liberals are always trying to change things that work?

Why are conservatives so afraid of change?

Laziness? Stupidity? Fear?

Probably a combination of those three.

#34 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-03-09 05:27 PM | Reply

END IT!

#35 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-03-09 05:29 PM | Reply

"Why is it liberals are always trying to change things that work?"

We don't change things unless they don't work well.

#36 | Posted by dibblda at 2020-03-09 05:41 PM | Reply

#32 tell that to my children, who come out of school and it's practically dark and have no time to play outside.

They need to leave it where it is now so there is more daylight in the afternoon.

#37 | Posted by ABH at 2020-03-09 07:29 PM | Reply

Then start school an hour earlier.

#38 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-03-10 09:27 AM | Reply