Saturday, March 14, 2020

According to infectious disease epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch at Harvard, it's "plausible" that 20 to 60 percent of adults will be infected with Covid-19 disease. So far, 80 percent of cases globally have been mild, but if the case fatality rate is around 1 percent (which several experts say it may be), a scenario is possible of tens or hundreds of thousands of deaths in the US alone.

Comments

It would be ironic if the crowds of people hoarding all the food became the bulk of the contaminated.

Since I'm high risk I'm trying to self quarantine without being exposed. Just hide for the next 2-4 weeks if you can.

#1 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2020-03-15 07:34 AM | Reply

I think I may have gotten the virus. Last Friday I started feeling sick around noontime. My fever went up to 99.8, I felt tired, and I had a try cough. I took Tylenol and rested, and my fever went away after only 6 hours. No more cough.

I am considered to be high risk, because I have high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, asthma and COPD, plus I am 65. Are we really destroying the world's economy for an illness that lasts only 6 hours? This virus really is mild.

If anyone one else has gotten sick, please post how long your symptoms lasted. I am staying home, just in case.

#2 | Posted by sixam at 2020-03-15 08:16 AM | Reply

#2 Self-quarantining may be a good idea, but I'm not so sure self-diagnosing is. Just saying.

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-03-15 09:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The other line to add to that chart is the number of hospital beds.

By flattening the curve we can keep from overwhelming the hospitals.

#4 | Posted by sawdust at 2020-03-15 09:39 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY SIXAM

Propaganda.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2020-03-15 09:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

2 | POSTED BY SIXAM

Makes you wonder why the Chinese built all those hospitals, doesn't it?

#6 | Posted by Zed at 2020-03-15 10:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 When they get around to doing antibody-testing for the coronavirus in the US, you might want to find out for sure if you had the illness or not:

How A Coronavirus Blood Test Could Solve Some Medical Mysteries

www.npr.org

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-03-15 10:03 AM | Reply

I'm glad that your illness seems to be mild, but this comment is foolish. Covid-19 is only mild for some people. It's making a lot of people catastrophically ill and spreading so fast it overwhelms hospitals. In Italy doctors have so few ventilators they have to do wartime triage and pick who lives and dies based on who has the best chance for a good outcome. A 65-year-old there with your conditions who is gravely ill is not getting one of those ventilators. Instead they would use it on a younger healthier person.

The mildness of your illness so far also indicates it could be something other than Covid-19. What is being called a "mild case" of this illness sometimes includes pneumonia and lung scarring.

We have to flatten the curve in America because we don't want our doctors to have too few ventilators for the critical patients they have to treat, and we don't want to have more cases at one time than the available doctors and other hospital personnel can handle. Those two situations will make the death rate higher.

#8 | Posted by rcade at 2020-03-15 11:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The speed that this thing spreads is truly scary.

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-15 11:36 AM | Reply

But but I was told this was just a cold.

Trump wouldn't lie would he.

#10 | Posted by bored at 2020-03-15 12:01 PM | Reply

"Are we really destroying the world's economy for an illness that lasts only 6 hours?"

Good point.
That seems about as fair as judging Brock Turner by 20 minutes of his life!

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-15 02:25 PM | Reply

Are we? And who is "we". I am not destroying anything. Is not Trump in charge?

Article 2 baby.

Then maybe you can tell us why is the leader of the most powerful nation on earth (trump) is destroying the worlds economy?

What is wrong with that dude? You would think that with him being a Stable Genius and a Financial Wizard and all that he would have prevented this or at least protected America First from it.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-03-15 09:01 PM | Reply

The speed that this thing spreads is truly scary.

#9 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

The R0 (transmissibility) is about double what the flu is from what I have read. There is no containing it. Just managing it.

#13 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2020-03-16 09:37 AM | Reply

And I read that the asymptomatic rate is around 50%. So, at least, for every case that gets confirmed because someone had symptoms and got tested, there is another person walking around without symptoms spreading it. And most of the cases are just mild (~30%), so most of those people probably will not get tested. So really, for every case that gets confirmed, there are probably 3 or 4 people walking around without symptoms spreading it.

#14 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2020-03-16 09:41 AM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY GTBRITISHSKULL

This is why its so concerning that people are comparing it to the Flu or even Swine Flu.

It's more contagious, ten times as deadly at least, and way too often completely asymptomatic. Worse, most people can spread it days before they even have symptoms, IF they get symptoms.

The only bright side is that it seems the younger you are, the less danger it poses.

On the flip side, here's the scary part: once you get it, you are only immune for 4-6 months. After that, the antibodies disappear. So you can re-catch it.

#15 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-03-16 02:44 PM | Reply