Sunday, March 15, 2020

Preppers get a bad rap. In the media, they're often portrayed as tinfoil hat-wearing, gun-toting, trap-rigging, bunker-digging, conspiracy theory-believing weirdos. And we're not saying they aren't out there.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Comments

I wonder how Beavis and -------- are prepping for the inability of obtaining TP???

#1 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-03-15 07:26 PM | Reply

Tinfoil is hard to find. Aluminum foil is a brain health risk, I prefer copper foil as its patina indicates your seniority to strangers.

Also underground bunkers are not ideal as the air intakes are vulnerable and you want multiple hard points to cover approaches. I prefer my cabin on an island.

#2 | Posted by bored at 2020-03-15 09:36 PM | Reply

"Most preppers are down-to-earth, discrete, and highly resourceful. Across the country, they quietly stock up on food and supplies, learn useful new skills, and, well, prepare."

Well said. My wife is somewhat a prepper. I always joke about her prepping us for the zombie apocalypse. but we can effectively live without outside contact for a couple months. She rotates and uses stock accordingly. And she does it under the radar. It's nice to know that we don't have to fight for what's on store shelves because she took enough time to make sure we'd have what we need in a crisis.

#3 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-03-15 10:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's the adult version of the Boy Scout motto, 'Be Prepared'.

#4 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2020-03-16 12:11 AM | Reply

I'm an subconscious prepper. I easily have a month's worth of food here. Dried beans, canned stuff, freezer full of meat that I buy on sale, but never eat enough of to empty the freezer. I also have more canned jams and pickled stuff than I can give away (I love canning) so that would tide me over as well.

And if the power went out for what would appear to be a lengthy time, I would quickly smoke or dry the meats in the freezer so they wouldn't go to waste. Mesquite is a weed tree around here, and my smoker is large.

Yeah, if I had to live off of my larder, I'd miss the fresh fruits and vegetables that I eat every day, but I could survive for at least a month, probably twice that. Again, leftover beans & rice, and dried smoked meat and pasta with no produce would suck, but like Gloria Gaynor, I will survive. No question about it.

But then again -- no Blue Bell ice cream? *gasp!* Let me rethink that "I will survive" thing.

#5 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-16 12:40 AM | Reply

First, if you are hunkering down in a super-trench you have already lost the war. Second, their is plenty of game - those are called "neighbors". Third, I am not "out there" - you are in here with me.

#6 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-03-16 02:15 PM | Reply

I don't recall reading or hearing that stores were empty in China as they dealt with it.
Maybe that was lost in the details.

#7 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2020-03-16 02:21 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS AT 2020-03-15 10:04 PM | FLAG: | NEWSWORTHY 1: Same here as got a few months of necessities covered.

#8 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-03-16 03:33 PM | Reply

The stores were not bare in China. One benefit of a command economy, they were able to reroute trucks shift inventory etc.

Also the threat of "re-education" for hoarding is a powerful motivator to not hoard.

We aren't really preppers but we do keep a decent supply and while we couldn't go months but a couple weeks won't be fun but doable.

#9 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-03-16 03:53 PM | Reply