Monday, March 16, 2020

Provide Economic Stability for Working Americans: Immediately Send $1,000 Checks to Each American: Every American adult should immediately receive $1,000 to help ensure families and workers can meet their short-term obligations and increase spending in the economy. Congress took similar action during the 2001 and 2008 recessions. While expansions of paid leave, unemployment insurance, and SNAP benefits are crucial, the check will help fill the gaps for Americans that may not quickly navigate different government options.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Romney's list goes on: Provide Grants to Impacted Small Businesses Allow "Unexpected Costs Due to COVID-19" as Factor for Pell Grant Amount Loan Deferment for Recent Graduates Impacted by COVID-19 Require Insurance Plans to Temporarily Cover Telehealth

Comments

As I mentioned in another thread:
Since Friday, the Fed has printed $5,000 per American in Wall Street handouts.

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-16 04:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Mitt! Yang!

As I mentioned on another thread yesterday, Yang's 1K mo solution would be a good way to help workers.... even if it were only targeted.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2020-03-16 06:18 PM | Reply

I never got a check in 2001 or 2008???

#3 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-03-16 07:11 PM | Reply

This would be revolutionary.

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-03-17 08:15 AM | Reply

Not enough but it's the right idea. Workers are already coming in sick so as not to lose pay. Shut the country down and give everyone a check to cover bills otherwise every low level employee you deal with is a potential vector.

#5 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-03-17 08:57 AM | Reply

Here's the bottom line: Our economy is going to be devastated by the virus. At some point in the future, we'll have to start a process back to normal.

One way or another, the US taxpayers (all of us, because federal taxes are more than just income tax) will foot the bill for whatever it costs to rebuild our economy. Wouldn't it make far more sense for all of us to demand that government provide every citizen with what amounts to a basic income for the extent of this crisis? This money will be immediately put back into the economy by the vast majority of citizens and it may mean the difference between solvency and bankruptcy for many businesses.

As with every downturn, the government will take care of big business at the end of the day, but for something this catastrophic and touching every single corner of this nation, let's put the peoples' welfare first, front and center.

Good on Mitt again. He's easy to agree with when he's right.

#6 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-03-17 09:14 AM | Reply

Need my check today. Can't wait to get me some of that SOCIALIST cash. Mmmmmmmmmmm. Free money. Reditributed from rich F**ks. Good times.

#7 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-03-17 12:58 PM | Reply

Treasury Sec Steve Mnuchin: "We are looking at sending checks to Americans immediately...Americans need cash now and the president wants to get cash now. And I mean now, in the next two weeks."

How much?

Mnuchin: Discussing details w/ GOP senators. We like idea of $1K.

This would be huge.

#8 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-03-17 02:15 PM | Reply

"This would be huge."

Not really

In 2008 the government gave out checks. I don't remember what the criteria was, but I think I ended up getting $1200 or something.

I'm not sure what good this would do. It's not as if someone is staying out of work for a few days in order to recover from the flu...they're being told to stay home to avoid getting the flu, or possibly spreading it if they've already contracted it. And $1000 is going to go far to cover the cost of a mortgage or car payment.

I'm being told to plan on minimizing my presence in the office for the next 60 days. I'm a salaried employee so it really doesn't effect me. But for those earning an hourly wage it would be disastrous. I think that, rather than giving out cash payments, or maybe along with cash payments, the government should be working with lenders to provide some form of relief until this thing is over. In the long run, the lenders would only make more money anyways, so it seems like it would be a win-win for all parties involved.

#9 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-03-17 03:43 PM | Reply

Socialism bad,free market good, don't feed the parasites,ayye MADBOMBER!!?

#10 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-03-17 05:16 PM | Reply

This plan has never worked to stimulate the economy. People would use this money to pay down CC debt, which didn't help.

Don't get me wrong -- I'd love the money and readily take it. It's just that it won't help the economy.

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-17 05:25 PM | Reply

"Socialism bad,free market good, don't feed the parasites,ayye MADBOMBER!!?"

I'm not sure how you could construe the government stepping in and providing support for people who need it because of something the government has done as being "socialism." Socialism is an economic system as defined where workers control the means of production. Do you see anything like that here?

A few years ago I was doing counter-drug stuff down in Central America. Aside from that, one of our other primary missions was providing support to AMCITs who for some reason found themselves in trouble. Once it was a kid who paddle boarded too far out into the ocean off of Roatan. Another time, it was a visitor in Tegucigalpa who needed to be airlifted out due to a heart condition. And there were more. And maybe you view this as socialism...but I can promise you that the socialist Venezuelans would have never been able to pull it off. Or the socialist Cubans. Which is why, once more, everything you characterize as socialism is 100% made possible by capitalism.

#12 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-03-17 05:34 PM | Reply

The intent shouldn't be to help the economy. The intent should be to create an economic bridge between the present and when people are able to get back to work. once this thing blows over, the economy will normalize on it's own.

#13 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-03-17 05:36 PM | Reply

I am so thankful that I am salaried, and if push comes to shove, my family could probably get by on one salary, but as stated above, the real kicker is debt, mortgage, rent, etc. I'm not going to scoff at $1000 (we'd probably put it in the bank just in case until this blows over), but if this lasts into the fall or even farther, $1000/person is not going to do much.

Either a regular living wage for all Americans until this blows over and/or moratoriums on rent, mortgage, loans, etc., seem to be the best routes. For hourly or gig workers, I just have no idea what they're going to do. It's honestly scary. I'm currently listening to some Woody Guthrie to get me in the mood for a good ole fashioned economic disaster coupled with environmental disaster. Who has a "This Machine Kills Fascists" sticker??

#14 | Posted by dylanfan at 2020-03-17 05:58 PM | Reply

The economy is built on ------- all deleveraging as we speak. Those debts will not be repaid. The economy is going into a deflationary spiral of lower and lower prices, great for gas prices, terrible for Everything else. Depression is the outlook going ahead. The gubment better have deep pockets or we're screwed.

#15 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-03-17 06:37 PM | Reply

Economic stimulus is the ticket.Send me money,please.

#16 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-03-17 06:39 PM | Reply

We'll call it a get out of jail free card. Someday.

How easily people sell their souls.

#17 | Posted by Yknot at 2020-03-17 07:55 PM | Reply

We'll call it a get out of jail free card. Someday.

How easily people sell their souls.

#18 | Posted by Yknot at 2020-03-17 07:56 PM | Reply

I never got a check in 2001 or 2008???

#3 | POSTED BY GRACIEAMAZED

Me either.

#19 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-03-17 07:57 PM | Reply

"once this thing blows over, the economy will normalize on it's own."

Slavery is the norm, throughout the history of the human global economy, right?

Only asking because I'm in the human global economic 1%.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-17 07:58 PM | Reply

I never got a check in 2001 or 2008???
#3 | POSTED BY GRACIEAMAZED

^
We can't start helping people now.

It would be unfair to all the people we didn't help in the past!

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-17 08:00 PM | Reply

It's just that it won't help the economy.

#11 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Every paycheck to paycheck worker who is out of work because of this will have it spent quickly. Probably on rent.

#22 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-03-17 08:01 PM | Reply

"Only asking because I'm in the human global economic 1%."

And...you're wanting to buy a slave? Not sure where you're going with this.

#23 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-03-18 07:57 AM | Reply

If you're serious about this whole slavery thing though, I'm pretty sure ISIS is still recruiting. The you could have all the slaves you want.

#24 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-03-18 08:05 AM | Reply

And...you're wanting to buy a slave? Not sure where you're going with this.

#23 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER AT 2020-03-18 07:57 AM | FLAG: Just a note: One can find willing ---- slaves on line at no cost ; )

#25 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-03-18 11:46 AM | Reply