Saturday, March 21, 2020

Kenny Rogers, the country musician behind such hits as "The Gambler" and "Lady" over a six-decade career, has died at the age of 81, his family announced early Saturday. "Rogers passed away peacefully at home from natural causes under the care of hospice and surrounded by his family," a statement from SKH Music said. Rogers' family plans a small private service due to the coronavirus outbreak, the statement said.

Comments

What an illustrious career. 24 #1 records and multiple Grammys.

Friends who knew Kenny when he was broke and living in a one bedroom apartment in the Valley still got regular phone calls from him during the zenith of his career. That also says a lot about what kind of guy he was.

I did one tour with him awhile after his last #1 record. He was still selling out arenas. Lots of staying power with his fans.

#1 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-03-21 04:24 AM | Reply

BTW, he was the first act I either saw or worked with who played 'in the round,' making every seat in an arena a decent one.

#2 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-03-21 04:28 AM | Reply

- who played 'in the round,'

Elvis, '65 Televised Comeback Special. You should've known that. haha

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-03-21 05:49 AM | Reply

It's pronounced, Kee-knee

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-03-21 05:50 AM | Reply

How will I sing when you are gone?
'Cause it won't sound the same
Who'll join in on those harmony parts,
When I call your name?

That's some sad news to wake up to. I guess he knew it was time to walk away.

#5 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-03-21 06:12 AM | Reply

You picked a fine time to leave us Kenny. RIP

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-03-21 06:16 AM | Reply

My mom had an 8-track of "the Gambler"

RIP

#7 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-03-21 09:34 AM | Reply

He knew when to fold 'em.

#8 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-03-21 09:51 AM | Reply

I guess he knew when to fold 'em

#9 | Posted by qcp at 2020-03-21 10:50 AM | Reply

COVID-45?

#10 | Posted by Zed at 2020-03-21 10:54 AM | Reply

#1 Damn it! You beat me to it.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-21 11:11 AM | Reply

I blame Ruby,........ but R.I.P

#13 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-03-21 12:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This discussion has moved.

#14 | Posted by retort at 2020-03-21 01:25 PM | Reply

When I was a kid my parents took me two times to see Kenny Rogers when he performed in Dallas in the 1980s. Gallagher opened for him both times.

I didn't like country music but I still kinda enjoyed Kenny. The best part was when he sang Lucille and said "four hundred children" instead of "four hungry children."

This 1983 Kenny Rogers concert broadcast on HBO is how I remember the concerts I attended, with the round stage and the white suit:

www.youtube.com

#15 | Posted by rcade at 2020-03-21 01:30 PM | Reply

RIP Kenny,you were a legend. I loved your music growing up.

#16 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-03-21 04:31 PM | Reply

Elvis, '65 Televised Comeback Special. You should've known that. haha

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism

I was a little kid and wouldn't have seen it. As far as I know, Elvis didn't perform that way in concerts. A friend's parents went to see him in a domed stadium. They described watching on the huge "ElvisVision" screen when he did a karate kick and split his pants from waistband to waistband. The worst part was he wasn't wearing underwear, and was unaware until one of his guys alerted him to that fact. LOL

#17 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-03-21 06:24 PM | Reply

He just dropped in to see what condition his condition was in. And apparently it wasn't good!

Sorry, I'm being cheeky. But the psychedelic hit song that inspired that bad joke was a good one. Glen Campbell played the far-out, backward guitar that begins the song.

"Just Dropped In" was recorded when Kenny was the lead singer of First Edition, a spinoff of the folky New Christy Minstrels. First Edition's "Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town" just might be the saddest tearjerker ever, the tale of a disabled war veteran abandoned by his wife, composed by the legendary Mel Tillis and performed to perfection by Rogers and company. Another classic was "Reuben James," written from the point of view of a white child grateful to have been rescued by an unfairly maligned black sharecropper, including the immortal line that I loved to sing as a kid, "All the folks around Madison County cussed your name."

Kenny lost me with most of his later recordings, like The Gambler, which to me lacked the depth of the earlier material. But he had already done enough good stuff to earn my respect by then, and by all accounts, he was a decent guy. Rest in peace, Kenny.

#18 | Posted by cbob at 2020-03-21 06:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

NW.... I had forgotten about the First Edition gig.

Most people don't remember him this way... of course, I barely remember the 70's at all, lol.

www.youtube.com

#19 | Posted by Corky at 2020-03-21 06:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Elvis, '65 Televised Comeback Special. You should've known that. haha

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism

The Elvis "Comeback Special" aired on NBC on Dec. 3, 1968. He still looked really good, before he detoured into all that Vegas glitter and bad livin', and sounded great: youtu.be

#20 | Posted by cbob at 2020-03-21 06:47 PM | Reply

#18 nice post. Turns out I know a lot more Kenny Rogers songs than I know.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-21 06:47 PM | Reply

Kenny also hosted his own TV show for a year or two, and he had some really interesting performers on, including Ike and Tina Turner, Bill Withers, Cheech & Chong, James Gang and Badfinger:
youtu.be

#22 | Posted by cbob at 2020-03-21 06:55 PM | Reply

We forget back in 1969 he was head of the First Edition and was a sort of rocker. He was correct in going country. The pay is not as much, but it goes on for decades. As far as musicians go, I knew several when I was young, the numbers diminished to one by the time I turned 30. Music as a carrier is a tough mistress. Rodgers was scalped by his record company when he had the First Edition, he got nothing except the name by the time the lawyers got finished with him. He learned his lesson, he never made those mistakes again.

#23 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-03-22 06:56 AM | Reply