Sunday, March 22, 2020

Miami Herald editorial board: With Florida's economy crashing under the weight of the coronavirus pandemic, Gov. Ron DeSantis is working overtime to preserve our status as the world's leading exporter of political comedy. ... Unfortunately, DeSantis, who despite trying to appear large and in charge in front the microphone and TV cameras delivering coronavirus updates, has been a timid leader in the face of the growing scourge -- and growing number of deaths -- from the disease in his state. By Saturday, the number of confirmed cases had exceeded 700.

Comments

He's a Republican isn't he?

What would you expect?

#1 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-03-22 08:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I see nothing!

#2 | Posted by zelkova at 2020-03-22 09:57 PM | Reply

Dumbass should've just closed the beaches two weeks ago...

#3 | Posted by Angrydad at 2020-03-22 11:01 PM | Reply

Sorry, I'm a Democrat and I approve of DeSanti's handling of this crisis.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2020-03-22 11:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Danni, you approve of him not closing those beaches a week or 2 ago?

#5 | Posted by eberly at 2020-03-22 11:13 PM | Reply

"Dumbass should've just closed the beaches two weeks ago..."

the Governor was quite outspoken about that. Realize though we had thousands of irresponsible Spring Breakers on our beaches but the Governore questioned the wisdom of closing beaches after they were gone. He is providing good leadership in a horrible crises.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2020-03-22 11:13 PM | Reply

"Governore questioned the wisdom of closing beaches after they were gone."

I agree. It's a low risk place to be given the virus doesn't like heat and sun.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-22 11:16 PM | Reply

"Danni, you approve of him not closing those beaches a week or 2 ago?"

I approve of him trying to make sensible decisions and not restrict the mobility of us who live here. I am isolating to my house but a little time walking on the beach, alone, is a welcome respite from that. Our Governor is doing the best he can with a terrible situation.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2020-03-22 11:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Realize though we had thousands of irresponsible Spring Breakers on our beaches"

LOL. Served by local hotels, restaurants, and shopkeepers. Were they ordered to shut down Spring Break?

DeSanta Claus wasn't about to deny business their annual cash cow/teen ----. the things that Snoofy dreams about.

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-03-23 03:41 AM | Reply

There wasn't any walking on the beach alone here. There was a near-record-breaking crowd of beachgoers this weekend after Jacksonville closed its beaches and St. Augustine didn't. We just closed all public parking to them so it doesn't happen again.

Closing restaurants and other businesses to customers while popular public places are not closed just causes the latter to be jammed with people. Then they go home and take the virus with them where they live.

#10 | Posted by rcade at 2020-03-23 09:26 AM | Reply

"Then they go home and take the virus with them where they live.

#10 | POSTED BY RCAD"

That's exactly what I pointed out in a thread I started on the spring breakers. Selfish bastards.

BTW, the beaches are relatively secluded south of Melbourne 12 or so miles around the Ponce de Leon landing. No spring breakers, anyway. Just responsible adults keeping tens of yards from each other.

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 09:59 AM | Reply

#4 Hell just froze over, not only do I agree with you I gave you a FNW!

#12 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-03-23 10:10 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Lol.

Selfish? They were just listening to our wise and benevolent president who said that it was no worse than the flu. That it is overblown and a liberal hoax.

And to Conservative Congressional Representative Nunes, who said that if you don't feel sick then you SHOULD go out to restaurants and spend money.

Looks like Gullible Goat is falling for the liberal deep state lies. SAD!

Just remember, other people didn't build that, Obama didn't build that. YOU built that.

#13 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2020-03-23 10:14 AM | Reply

"They were just listening to our wise and benevolent president who said that it was no worse than the flu. That it is overblown and a liberal hoax.
#13 | POSTED BY GTBRITISHSKULL "

I have read several spring break stories with many of the spring breakers quoted. Not a one said the felt it was safe because of what the president said as you say.

Can you cite your source, please?

#15 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 10:33 AM | Reply

Re #15

Another Dem hoax? Or is an old goat in denial again?

We report. You decide.

w3.cdn.anvato.net

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-03-23 10:55 AM | Reply

A better link for #16

So you don't have to watch the 30 second commercial

www.wkrg.com

#17 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-03-23 10:58 AM | Reply

#18 | Posted by rcade at 2020-03-23 11:05 AM | Reply

"Goatman: GT's comment was obviously figurative. Stop pretending it needs a source.

#18 | POSTED BY RCADE "

I'll take it his entire post is figurative then, including "you built that" -- a phrase so passe' and overused it has long lost all meaning.

(BTW, why can't I post diacriticals?)

#19 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 11:23 AM | Reply

Can you cite your source, please?

#15 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

So, you are admitting that they feel that it is safe. And that the President and other conservatives have said that it is safe (no worse than the flu).

But you want PROOF that those are related? Why does it matter? What is the point of you being so obscenely pedantic (other than the obvious, that you are deflecting and holding water for your lord and savior Donald Trump)?

YOU say that them feeling things are safe is "selfish". So do you also believe that Donald Trump TELLING people that they are safe was "selfish"?

I don't know why you think I should condemn some random kids for acting poorly, when the top levels of conservatives in our government have been acting even worse. Look at Rand Paul. He probably infected half of the Senate. Wasn't THAT selfish??? Conservatives in government have consistently downplayed and spread FUD about this crisis, and they are (or are supposed to be) RESPONSIBLE TO ME. My tax dollars pay their salaries. And they are supposed to be ROLE MODELS for the kids you are complaining about. Those kids owe me nothing, have NO responsibility to me. Yet here you are, focusing on some kids instead of the adults who are supposed to be setting the examples.

THAT is what you and the other conservatives built. You are just a typical boomer, a little snowflake whining about how outraged you are that millennials are following YOUR example in how to be selfish.

What happened to all those supposed "libertarians"? When did all the conservatives decide to become socialists, focused on "the greater good" and giving away "free stuff"? They were always preaching about how YOUR RIGHTS should not be restricted because of SOMEONE ELSE'S problem. But now that YOU have the problem (higher risk of dying from the virus) YOU want to restrict THEIR rights to protect yourself. They are just following YOUR ideology. Deal with it. Stop your whining. It is annoying.

#20 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2020-03-23 01:13 PM | Reply

Guess we'll find out in a few weeks or so.

#21 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-03-23 01:41 PM | Reply

"Just heard a health expert say that the virus will explode in New Orleans and throughout pockets in Florida, predicting both would become new epicenters of outbreak."

And I just heard Gov. Cuomo predicting 80% of the population will get this virus. I do get the strategy of isolation to slow the spread of the virus so that our healthcare isn't overwhelmed (which it already is). I am personally cooperating with this 100%. I'm not going to work, but i also am becoming frustrated about that because I know people who have been exposed to people testing positive who are still going to work every day and I haven't been actually exposed to anyone who tested positive. I was tested but now, 4 days later, I don't have any results from that test and it reminds me why I thought the entire idea of bringing in corporations to deal with this (Quest Diagnostics in my case) was a joke. Those companies are staffed to deal with their normal level of tests but are now inundated with 10 times their normal number of tests. This should have been handled differently by a governmental agency with the capacity to deal with it and if we don't have such a capacity then we need to create it and maintain it during times when we don't have such a crisis.

#22 | Posted by danni at 2020-03-24 09:07 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

" Yet here you are, focusing on some kids instead of the adults who are supposed to be setting the examples."

Many of those "kids" on spring break are 18 or older. Yet Dems have no problem trying to get all of them to vote. So, why are we trying to get them to set an example if adults are supposed to be doing that (since you refer to the adults on spring break as kids)? I get what you are saying but using a long post just to blame Cons for all of the problems ruins your entire argument. Dems blocked the American bailout. They didn't block the bailouts to all of the corporations in the 2008 crisis once Obama was elected but they did it just prior (to be fair, Reps did the same thing in reverse). I am not saying one is better than the other, which is the whole point. Be objective and you will find true answers.

#23 | Posted by humtake at 2020-03-24 10:06 AM | Reply

"And BTW, partisan attacks here on this site are disgusting. The people making them are s**t!"

attacks like this one...?

Nothing is more beautiful than a Fox New Wedding. I just wish Sean Hannity could have attended but I'm pretty sure Sean is guarding his own health because he is one of the most important people in the universe. The universe needs a dumb ass like him to tell the little people what the big people want them to know and he does it daily.

#4 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2020-03-24 09:12 AM

#24 | Posted by eberly at 2020-03-24 10:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Eberly, I honestly don't think I care what you think. Sean Hannity is a piece of crap any you know it but somehow believe not saying that is a virtue. That's entirely your problem. We all know one salient fact about Hannity, his is a mouth for hire. Pay him enough money and he'll say whatever his owners want him to say. You know that, I know that, most Americans know that but you somehow think refusing to acknowledge it gives you some sort of intellectual superiority. Laughable.

#25 | Posted by danni at 2020-03-24 10:51 AM | Reply

"Many of those "kids" on spring break are 18 or older. Yet Dems have no problem trying to get all of them to vote."

We addressed this years ago. Old enough to fight, old enough to vote. OK, some young folks are a bit irresponsible but not all by any means. That you would even consider denying those who fight our wars the right to vote is simply disgusting and shameful.

#26 | Posted by danni at 2020-03-24 10:54 AM | Reply

#22 | Posted by danni

lol. What in the hell do you think you've been doing over your entire retort posting career? Spreading sweetness and light? Good lord.

#27 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-03-24 10:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Exactly....of all the people to now start whining about partisan attacks.

She can be a partisan and defend all day and night.....I'm fine with that. But to complain about it in others?

Hilarious.

#28 | Posted by eberly at 2020-03-24 11:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#22 | POSTED BY DANNI

"Do as I say, not as I do"

Danni