Sunday, March 22, 2020

With most entertainment venues closed, the 1940s-era facility has become au courant again. With Ocala's traditional movie theaters either closed or reporting steep drops in attendance, Ocala Drive-In remains busy as one of the few entertainment options available to residents.

"Business has been pretty good. People are going to start getting cabin fever. Children are out of school; parents are home from work. At some point, they are going to need a break, and we can help them enjoy some entertainment and still keep them safe," said John Watzke, who, along with his brother, Charlie, owns the drive-in.

Comments

"Watzke said they increased the space between cars at the property at 4850 S.Pine Ave. Cars are now parked about 10 feet apart instead of the usual 3-foot separation.

They are using a phone application for ordering food from the concession stand, which is then delivered to the car. The concession stand is closed to walk-in customers and is operating through an order-and-takeout window."

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2020-03-22 09:08 PM | Reply

I've had some fun times at drive in theaters ^_^

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-03-22 09:11 PM | Reply

We LOVE the drive-in. I remember the first time I took my then-girlfriend (now wife) to the drive-in. It was before we were married. I borrowed my mom's Ford Explorer and told her we were going on a date but I didn't disclose what we were doing. I packed a cooler of beer and a picnic-type lunch and we went to Ford-Wyoming. She got a little nervous because it's located in a not-so-great part of Detroit but once you are in the complex it's like walking into a time warp. I don't remember what the first movie was but the second one was Independence Day. I backed the SUV up and set up a little nest in the back for us to watch the movies (it's always a 2-fer at the drive-in). She immediately fell in love with the drive-in experience. We make a point of doing it every summer. Our kids fell in love with it too. Quickly they took the back-end nest and my wife and I use extremely comfortable foldout chairs (La Fuma) with a cooler between us. A local hockey arena does drive-in during the summer. It's not only a much nicer neighborhood, but is a shorter drive. Even as teenagers our boys nest in the back of our crossover SUV.

It's a great experience and I hope it's something that becomes increasingly popular.

#3 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-22 09:21 PM | Reply

I've had some fun times at drive in theaters ^_^

#2 | POSTED BY GONOLES92 AT 2020-03-22 09:11 PM

Translation: Drinkin 40's and fingerbanging chicks...

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-03-22 09:26 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Don't they use car radios for movie audio now rather than those speakers on poles?

The old 183 Drive-in in Irving TX was date night delight back in the day...

cinematreasures.org

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2020-03-22 09:27 PM | Reply

#4 |

Well.... that was unnecessarily Offensive and misogynistic. I guess a fun thread was just too much for some people.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2020-03-22 09:29 PM | Reply

I've had some fun times at drive in theaters ^_^

#2 | POSTED BY GONOLES92 AT 2020-03-22 09:11 PM
----
Translation: Drinkin 40's and fingerbanging chicks...

#4 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Early on, before we brought the kids, I got some action from my wife. The Drive-in was a turn-on for her.

I may have to propose that we go to the Drive-in without the kids and that they go separately. It probably won't happen though. Our boys have yet to reach the stage where they don't like to hang out with their parents nor do they think we don't know anything.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-22 09:30 PM | Reply

STFU you humorless shrew.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-03-22 09:39 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2020-03-22 09:30 PM

Fake news.

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-03-22 09:40 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Heh heh :)

#10 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-03-22 09:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-Drinkin 40's and fingerbanging chicks...

that's what I remember...but mostly just cases of Keystone.

dusk to dawn movie specials with just one payment for a carload.

#11 | Posted by eberly at 2020-03-22 09:54 PM | Reply

- humorless shrew.

I can see where someone who is being ------------ by Trump would be dissatisfied... all those tiny fingers.

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2020-03-22 11:00 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY CORKY AT 2020-03-22 09:27 PM | FLAG:

Definitely. A rack mounted FM transmitter is what has made their comeback possible. One on the edge of Houston turns around 500k a year in concessions right now.

#13 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-03-23 08:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1