Monday, March 23, 2020

It appears many of the DR denizens are hunkering down (my Floridian sister HATES that word during hurricane season) and preparing to ride out the virus. Let's hear from you and what your plans are for keeping your GI tract sated. Do you have food stores to last for a few weeks? If so, what, and how are you planning to prepare them?

How are you dealing with lack of fresh produce (if you are)? Do you plan to make short trips to the supermarket for them? That, so far, has been my only excuse to get out. How about milk and eggs?

Considering what is in your larder, what meals do you have planned for the coming weeks? Will you be able to keep up with your normal fare, or will it take a beating: Basic sustenance over gastronomic delights.

Let's share tips on putting food by, meal enhancers that have a long shelf life, even on-line ordering of ingredients. This could benefit us all and dare I say, a welcome respite from Corvid and Trump threads.

Comments

I'll start with some unusual things I have done.

I do not drink milk, but I cook with it a lot. My granddaughters left unexpectedly last week and I was left with a gallon and half of milk. So I turned it all into yogurt. It lasts for weeks and can be cooked with, especially in Indian dishes. I have several types of curry, so I foresee that in my future diet.

I figured I would need fresh milk at some point. I already have homemade buttermilk in the freezer (I save it after I make butter) so I decided to put some fresh milk in the freezer as well. I put it in one pint increments in zip lock bags and froze it.

Got a couple of pounds of Colby, a pound of swiss, and a pound of queso fresco, so I'm good on cheeses. I also have a pound of sharp cheddar which I will be turning into pimento cheese this afternoon.

So I think I am set on dairy for a while.

#1 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 12:06 PM | Reply

I've got plenty of rice, beans, and oatmeal - enough for an apocalypse. Salt, sugar, coffee I have plenty of. Butter is a real issue but the early hoarding is over and stocks are coming back so I'm not worried. America has a massive surplus it destroys every year of milk and butter. Fresh fruit is currently an issue but candied fruit lasts a year without refrigeration, two with.

The shortages are rapidly going away and we in snacks and bevs aren't having warehouse or driver infections. Yet. As I understand it the National Guard will help pull that duty if it comes down to it.

I can't believe people bought all the bottled water! Idiots, electricity and water aren't going away. Gas is almost free now.

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-03-23 12:12 PM | Reply

#2 -- you and I think very similarly. I also have beans, rice, oatmeal, and coffee. I love oatmeal and it is the only cereal I eat.

Butter: It's easy to make and there seems to be a lot of cream on the shelves, even if milk is scarce. It's easiest if you have a stand mixer like a KitchenAid. Just whip a quart of cream (costs about the same as a pound of butter) until it starts to coagulate, then hand squeezed the buttermilk out and if you wish, add salt. I like coarse sea salt because of the salty crunch when I spread it on toast.

Also, when you are finished, you have real buttermilk -- something you'll never find in a store. It's all cultured.

One quart of cream yields about 13 oz (weight, not volume) of butter and about a cup of buttermilk. The buttermilk freezes well as noted above.

Did I mention, this is the tastiest butter you'll ever have?

Another option is to add some sour cream while whipping the fresh cream. Man, that makes tasty butter! I use the Mexican style sour cream. Yes, it's more expensive, which makes the cost of the butter per pound more expensive than factory made butter, but again, the taste is superb!

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 12:19 PM | Reply

I agree, I can't believe the water hoarding. The virus can't stop the taps or the electrical generators. TP hoarding is a mystery to me, too.

#4 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 12:20 PM | Reply

Good point on the candied fruits. THough I haven't used it in a while, I have a dehydrator. It is good for fleshy fruits, and even citrus if you are patient enough.

#5 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 12:22 PM | Reply

If you are willing to look, there are some deals on Amazon. I have almost 50 lbs of all purpose flour. It can be used for bread, but due to its lower protein (gluten) content, it doesn't make the best bread. However, a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten per cup of AP flour gives you the same gluten content of bread flour, and superb loaves of bread.

I found a site that sold 4 lbs of vital wheat gluten for only $14! It's usually about $10/12 oz in the supermarket. I found it on a vegetarian site. Apparently grass eaters use it to make a meat substitute, so massive quantities of it are relatively cheap. But now I have enough gluten to last at least three years.

#6 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 01:01 PM | Reply

I also found a good on-line deal on wheat berries. They can be softened in ale and honey for a nice and healthy addition to home made bread, or partially sprouted and worked in with the bread dough for a nice nutty flavor and soft crunch.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 01:22 PM | Reply

Commissary was out of butter, eggs, and raw meats yesterday.
Going to check out another store later today. On my last 3 eggs, have maybe 1/4 cup butter left, and maybe 3lbs of chicken ----

#8 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-03-23 01:50 PM | Reply

Interesting that veg oil was sold out, but plenty of olive and coconut oil.

#9 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-03-23 01:50 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by GOnoles92

Bizarrely you can always get bread, milk, eggs and butter at 7-11. It was founded on that, and they keep prices low on those things to overcharge you to hell on everything else. I'm in snacks & bevs and the small store suppliers aren't having a problem delivering.

Little known secret.

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-03-23 02:11 PM | Reply

Little known secret.

#10 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT
that is great! I'll check it out. Wouldn't think of getting kitchen essentials at essentially a gas station convenience store

#11 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-03-23 02:15 PM | Reply

... if we where having a problem I would be getting called into work right now to help train the National Guard guys on how to use the handhelds so at least the trucks get thrown in route order. Over the years I've polished my software so hard I could train my cat to use it in like 15 minutes, so if it does happen no problemo.

#12 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-03-23 02:15 PM | Reply

Olive oil and coconut oil have low flash points and are unsuitable for frying, with the exception of sauteing, which is a low temp pan fry. So perhaps the buyers use their oil more for frying than salads and cookie making.

#13 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 02:15 PM | Reply

I can't believe you have a fruit dehydrator. You must be older than God... possibly even Danni.

#14 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-03-23 03:32 PM | Reply

Nice flatbread fresh out of the oven to go with leftover beef tips and carrots.

#15 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 09:47 PM | Reply

Baked chicken, baked potatoes, garlic bread, broccoli with siracha sauce, and house salad.

Chicken marinating in Italian dressing with a couple splashes of soy sauce.

Can't wait.

#16 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-03-23 09:52 PM | Reply

"Can't wait.

#16 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 "

Can't blame you. It sounds great!

#17 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 09:53 PM | Reply

That sounds fantastic, Beach.

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-23 09:59 PM | Reply

My first grilling after getting home from Hawaii this weekend was Huli Huli chicken breasts, grilled peppers/onions, and grilled pineapple with basmati rice.

#19 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-03-23 10:09 PM | Reply

#19 -- An apocalypse dinner to remember! (I would have used dark meat, though)

#20 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 10:11 PM | Reply

Our grocery stores appear fully stocked except for some items I noticed:

toilet paper/paper towels
flour
sugar
yeast
some bread
hamburger
broth based canned soups

#21 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-03-23 10:12 PM | Reply

I like dark meat, my wife and mom like white.

This would be really good with a whole chicken quartered.

#22 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-03-23 10:13 PM | Reply

Good call on ground beef. It's very versatile. I've a few lbs in my freezer.

I'm good on flour I think. I've 45 lbs now. But only one 5 lb bag of wheat flour, which I use to make my bread. I would think most shoppers shun it and leave it for oddballs like me.

#23 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 10:17 PM | Reply

My one indulgent item, considering freezer space? Corny dogs. I ---- love them. I have two dozen to last me through the apocalypse.

#24 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 10:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Corn dogs are my favorite carny food besides funnel cake.

#25 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-03-23 10:27 PM | Reply

Couldn't get pre-ground meat at the grocery store or Costco.

Fortunately I have a meat grinder and ground 7 pounds of meat last Friday.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-23 10:29 PM | Reply

#25 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

I like corndogs, in funnel cake ...

#27 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-03-23 10:35 PM | Reply

I like dark meat, my wife and mom like white.

She's a keeper.

#28 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-03-23 10:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Nice flatbread fresh out of the oven to go with leftover beef tips and carrots.

#15 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

#29 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-03-23 10:36 PM | Reply

- Fortunately I have a meat grinder...

Me too, somewhere. It's my grandmothers.

#30 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-03-23 10:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You crack me up, Mackris!

#31 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 10:49 PM | Reply

"Corn dogs are my favorite carny food besides funnel cake.

#25 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM "

The hand dipped ones at the state fair....I'm chubbing up thinking about them.

#32 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 10:51 PM | Reply

"Fortunately I have a meat grinder and ground 7 pounds of meat last Friday.

#26 | POSTED BY JEFFJ "

Hand grinder, KitchenAid attachment, or other?

#33 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 10:51 PM | Reply

When I was in Green Bay last Christmas, I made a nice ham. I volunteered to make ham salad with it after a couple of days gnawing on it. My mother in law, 98 years old said she had a meat grinder she hadn't used in 40 years. It was one of the table clamp on hand grinders. However, it was missing a vital part -- the blade that sits behind the extruder. I told her that and she looked every where for it. She couldn't find it and she burst into tears.

----, did I feel bad. Making an almost centenarian cry over a meat grinder blade. I ended up makind the ham salad with the S blade of my sister in law's food processor. But I felt like ---- the rest of the trip over seeing my mother in law cry over something so silly.

#34 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 10:56 PM | Reply

#33 electric. Brand is Gourmia.

What about your sister-in-law's "fajitas?"

#35 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-23 10:58 PM | Reply

#35 ugh. Don't remind me. Different sister in law (both in GB, both are sisters) but yeah, don't remind me.

#36 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 11:04 PM | Reply

Sister in law told me her mother was so upset because she is losing touch with her past and not finding that meat grinder blade reminded her of that. Odd how the little things can set people's emotions off.

#37 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-23 11:07 PM | Reply

Hand grinder, KitchenAid attachment, or other?

I use a circular saw with a really dull ripping blade.

#38 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-03-23 11:08 PM | Reply

I use a circular saw with a really dull ripping blade.

#38 | POSTED BY REDIAL

Of course you do. Only in Canuckistan. You probably don't even own a freezer - just store the meat outdoors year-round. It's always cold in your neck of the woods.

#39 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-23 11:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#36 | POSTED BY GOATMAN A
GreenBay? You from WI?

You ain't a Packers fan are you?

Family has home in Ferryville!

#40 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-03-23 11:29 PM | Reply

Tonight: Spicy Carbonara with Jalapenos, Pancetta and Parmigiana Reggiano.

Amazing.

#41 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-03-23 11:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#41. That sounds awesome.

Last night was dry-brined ribeyes and Russette potatoes cooked in one of my charcoal cookers with Brussels, onion and carrot sticks cooked in a preheated cast iron skillet and then blasted in the oven at 550 or so for about 10 minutes and when it came out a small amount of grade B maple syrup was mixed in.

The Brussels part was cooked in accordance with how Goat showed me in person when we cooked a collaborative dinner together at my house early January.

#42 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-23 11:42 PM | Reply

This week ham and beans with onions and tomatoes.

Next week potato soup with onions and vegetables

The next week after beef stew

#43 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-03-23 11:48 PM | Reply

I do have a couple of smaller freezers for the "Time when the Light Comes". My deck works fine from early November until late February.

I just use one of those automated motion sensor paintball turrets hooked up to a 100 lb air bottle to keep the ravens away.

#44 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-03-24 12:05 AM | Reply

- The Brussels part was cooked in accordance with how Goat showed me

I like the sound of it. needs bacon?

#45 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-03-24 12:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This week ham and beans with onions and tomatoes. ~LAura

Sounds pretty darn good!

#46 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-03-24 12:40 AM | Reply

#45. Partially rendered chopped bacon is a great addition to it. Partially render the chopped bacon first and then sprinkle it over the top just before going into the oven. Also, when Goat was over he added some chopped apple. I love apple with somewhat bitter veggies. I make a red wine vinegar based coleslaw with brocoli slaw and chopped apples. My wife and kids love it especially during summer.

#47 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-24 12:45 AM | Reply

- I make a red wine vinegar based coleslaw with brocoli slaw and chopped apples.

That sounds good too. I have all the ingredients! thanks for that idea.

#48 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2020-03-24 01:16 AM | Reply

That sounds good too. I have all the ingredients! thanks for that idea.

#48 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

I didn't create an actual recipe, but here are the basics:

2/3 red wine vinegar
1/3 vegetable or canola oil
Salt, pepper, celery seed and white sugar to taste (experiment and figure out the ratios of the dry stuff on your own)

It's super simple and our local grocery store sell pre-made broccoli slaw in bags.

Because the ratio of vinegar to oil is kinda upside down - it struggles to stick to the slaw due to a relative lack of oil - make the slaw "just in time" and encourage your eaters to give the slaw a good stir and use a wide spoon and dig deep into the bowl to put the slaw on their plate. They will get enough dressing doing it that way that everything will be in balance.

#49 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-24 01:28 AM | Reply

I've made a brussel sprouts cole slaw. I love it.

I used to dislike brussel sprouts, but now they are one of my favorite vegetables. I never knew until a few years ago they grew on a stalk. I used to think they grew next to the ground like cabbages.

#50 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-24 08:15 AM | Reply

#51 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-03-24 07:18 PM | Reply

"There is always roadkill stew, but with fewer cars on the road now days it is getting harder to 'find'.

#51 | POSTED BY MSGT "

You got that right. You haven't lived until you've had pancaked armadillo,

#52 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-24 07:20 PM | Reply

Working from home at least the Apocalypse lets me work on long cooks. Started a small brisket with morning coffee. Went up the the site property line and did a few drone surveys during the stall. Back to paperwork at home, just had "The Collapse" in the Egg. Meat currently @ 171.

#53 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-03-24 07:54 PM | Reply

That sounds like a great day, Redial. I have a 3 pound chuck I'm thinking about smoking this weekend if the weather permits.

#54 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-24 08:02 PM | Reply

Actually weather won't be a factor I can use the 14.5" WSM at the base of the garage. It can handle a three pounder with ease.

#55 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-24 08:04 PM | Reply

The apocalypse has left me bored and my favorite way to quash boredom is to bake. My neighbors are the benefactors since I cant each this much bread and cake!

#56 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-24 08:09 PM | Reply

That sounds like a great day, Redial.

Time will tell. I've never been able to finish a brisket cook since I always run out of time. End up with something resembling jerky instead.

Now that I have to be up for work hours I can get it on a few hours before the sun comes up.

#57 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-03-24 09:01 PM | Reply

Garden prepared and plants in pots.
Plenty of seeds.
I have my trap, but will need better recipes for groundhog

#58 | Posted by Petrous at 2020-03-25 11:17 AM | Reply