Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a "total lockdown" in the country of 1.3 billion people during a televised address Tuesday night, the most extensive stay-at-home order yet in the world's fight against the coronavirus pandemic. Indian health officials have reported 469 actives cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, and 10 deaths.

Comments

Talk about proactive, 469 confirmed cases and locking down 1.3 billion people.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-03-24 11:18 AM | Reply

Currently in Punjab, India if you break the government imposed curfew the police is forcing you to do squats while chanting "We are enemies of society. We cannot sit at home". #Covid19India #COVID19
twitter.com

#2 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-03-24 04:56 PM | Reply

India is way ahead of us in plastics recycling too.

#3 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-03-24 05:51 PM | Reply

India Sucks! Everything better in Pakistan!

~ 47thpersona

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-03-24 05:54 PM | Reply

But but what about the Indian stock market? How can they turn their backs on what really matters for the sake of lower caste peasants? Shame!

#5 | Posted by bored at 2020-03-24 09:12 PM | Reply

But but what about the Indian stock market?

They have one?

#6 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-03-24 09:42 PM | Reply

"'But but what about the Indian stock market?'

They have one?
#6 | POSTED BY REDIAL "

On what platform did you think curry futures are traded?

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-24 10:11 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-24 10:11 PM | Reply

"It's something special when the leader of India does more leadering than the leader of the United States!

#8 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Weird how you think a nationwide lockdown of the US would be a good thing. Aside from the fact you proggies would scream that Trump is being a dictator, why should Wyoming be locked down because NY needs to be?

Glad you weren't one of the founding fathers. There was a reason they wanted autonomous states that you do not understand.

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-24 10:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Weird how you think a nationwide lockdown of the US would be a good thing."

Not so much weird, as informed by the Imperial College Report.

"There was a reason they wanted autonomous states that you do not understand."

Seems unlikely.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-24 10:18 PM | Reply

"Aside from the fact you proggies would scream that Trump is being a dictator"

As a point of reference, below is the list of US governors who have issued stay-at-home orders for their state, and whom I have called a dictator:

Thanks for reading and understanding!

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-24 10:24 PM | Reply

Why do this?

Copy/Paste this and go take a look at the U.S. and the impact for various scenarios for each state:
Look at the various scenarios. What the tradeoff is for each.

#12 | Posted by YAV at 2020-03-24 10:26 PM | Reply

"Thanks for reading and understanding!

#11 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

I've understood since my first civics class in HS that governing should be at the smallest level possible, not from the feds. I've never deviated from that in 50 years, so I'm not sure why you are thanking me.

#13 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-24 10:26 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY YAV "

Move to Mumbai, then.

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-24 10:28 PM | Reply

"I've understood since my first civics class in HS that governing should be at the smallest level possible"

Wow.
That's pretty miserable.
Micromanaging, or being micromanaged, is no way to go through life.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-24 10:31 PM | Reply

Again you have to address me?
Your obsession is past creepy, dude.
Please. Just stop.
Ick.

Thanks!

#16 | Posted by YAV at 2020-03-24 10:31 PM | Reply

#16 was for #14, obviously...

#15 - good call.

#17 | Posted by YAV at 2020-03-24 10:33 PM | Reply

" Imperial College Report.

#10 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

LOL I got a laugh the second I saw the word "imperial"

As if something called "imperial" would understand state's rights and our Constitution. IF you need further explanation of the irony of "imperial" commenting on states' rights, tell me. I'll be glad to school you, snoofy.

#18 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-24 10:33 PM | Reply

"As if something called "imperial" would understand state's rights and our Constitution"

As if a virus would.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-24 10:34 PM | Reply

"Micromanaging, or being micromanaged, is no way to go through life.

#15 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Exactly. WHich is why the feds need to stay out of that business.

Glad we can agree on something. Apparently yav, too. This is great.

#20 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-24 10:35 PM | Reply

oh good one!
Love that name calling.
So go stalk someone in public and see how that goes over.
Same as here, right?
Glad you got such a big brain there, buddy.

#23 | Posted by YAV at 2020-03-24 10:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

oh good one!
Love that name calling.
So go stalk someone in public and see how that goes over.
Same as here, right?
Glad you got such a big brain there, buddy.

POSTED BY YAV AT 2020-03-24 10:40 PM | REPLY

I haven't laughed this hard in ages. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-03-24 10:42 PM | Reply

Oh Goatman, thank you so much for your concern!

I would so like to engage you in intelligent thought, but you've been unworthy of that for years, and I've been forced, against my better judgement, to demote you to the level that gets the treatment I give you.

I know it may seem harsh, but it's out of love. I love to f**k with you. But I grow tired and honestly - bored with your schtick. So have a good night.

While I'm gone amuse yourself in finding why I said you name-called me (hint: post #21, last line) and when you say "that wasn't a name, that was a characterization I assigned him!" remember why I said "Now if you want to check the site out I provided, do some actual cognitive engagement, and then comment with something besides some inane tedious thread of some aspect of a part of something that is irrelevant, feel free."

Something I'd like to point out you were unable to do. Predictably.

#27 | Posted by YAV at 2020-03-24 10:53 PM | Reply

"If you can't handle these 21 days, this country will go back 21 years,"

^
Someone should tell Trump what the Dow was at 21 years ago.
(It was around 10,000.)

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-24 10:58 PM | Reply

"WHO Warns U.S. Could Become Coronavirus Epicenter as Cases Top 50,000."
www.usnews.com

I repeat - "India is way ahead of the U.S. on this, and way, way ahead of some of the dumbass governors of some of the U.S. states."

The arrogance of this President, the Republican governors of certain states, aren't just putting us right in the eye of the hurricane that this virus is, but putting the world at risk.

The U.S. and S. Korea had their first cases on the same day. S. Korea has flattened out by taking it serious from day one. We had a President saying "Democrat hoax!" and at 15 cases, "It'll go to zero soon!"

The reality? Today the U.S. now represents 45% of all new cases world-wide.

#30 | Posted by YAV at 2020-03-25 06:33 AM | Reply

"The U.S. and S. Korea had their first cases on the same day."

Someday when the country is on the other side of this pandemic, someone will write that tale of two countries, and Trump will be damned to hell for his criminal negligence during the past few critical months.

#31 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-03-25 07:19 AM | Reply

I want him damned now, and removed from this Pandemic response. I don't care if he remains President, but someone capable of coordinating and setting the tone for this pandemic response needs to be in charge. Trump needs to shut his trap and get out of the way.

Then we can write books about the response and why such measures were taken with regards to our Idiot President.

#32 | Posted by YAV at 2020-03-25 07:58 AM | Reply

#33 Agreed. Trump is hurting, not helping the country's coronavirus response. We'd all be better off without him butting in. He should put the experts in charge. This is a very dangerous public health crisis, not some PR crisis he can lie and schmooze his way through.

#33 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-03-25 08:13 AM | Reply

Freedumb,Americans just loves them some freedumb.
More pain now in quarantine means less death and disruption later. It's really that simple. This thing is showing everyone's bias about reality.

If we lock down now maybe this will pass with most of the country intact,if we get selfish and divided about the response it could cause mass death and Societal breakdown on a scale nobody here has envisioned.
The food distribution net could break down or worse. This is about more than some people feeling trapped at home or afraid about their bills.
Get a frigging grip.

#34 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-03-25 12:33 PM | Reply

does that include designated sh*tt*ng streets?

#35 | Posted by berserkone at 2020-03-26 01:21 AM | Reply