Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Asked about suggestions being floated in the U.S. about relaxing social distancing measures to avoid severe economic damage, [Bill] Gates said there is "no middle ground" between the virus and the cost to businesses. "It's very tough to say to people, 'Hey, keep going to restaurants, go buy new houses, ignore that pile of bodies over in the corner. We want you to keep spending because there's maybe a politician who thinks [gross domestic product] GDP growth is what really counts,'" Gates said, adding that a shutdown may need to remain in place for six to 10 weeks.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Gates' foundation has committed up to $100 million to improve treatment, drug and vaccine development efforts for the coronavirus. His foundation is also reportedly working to provide home-testing kits in the Seattle area.

Comments

Define "rages"? "No middle ground" is a false dichotomy, as obviously workers are need to grow, produce, deliver, stock and sell FOOD. EVentually those tools they are using needs servicing and on and on.

I have noticed this "lockdown" from the upper class, and complexity experts. Its easy for them to say, its like they have no idea we are dealing with a multi-variable equation, aka a complex problem.

#1 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-03-25 02:24 PM | Reply

More from Mr Gates...

...Gates, who did not mention Trump in the interview, said that "it's very irresponsible for somebody to suggest that we can have the best of both worlds."

He said later in the interview that "bringing the economy back" was more of a "reversible thing than bringing people back to life."

"So we're going to take the pain in the economic dimension -- huge pain -- in order to minimize the pain in the diseases-and-death dimension," Gates, who left the board of Microsoft earlier this month, said. ...

I think Mr Gates is making a correct observation of the finality of someone dying, vs the reversibility of an economy slumping.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-03-25 02:49 PM | Reply

- the reversibility of an economy slumping.

No, no.... we have MB on another thread telling us it's only going to last a couple of more weeks (sighs)... but we should go ahead and gas some old people just to make sure.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2020-03-25 02:57 PM | Reply

What Gates is saying makes sense if you value the lives of other people over your own prosperity.

Too bad that is not how many, if not most, Americans think. They would rather take a chance at death or loved ones that certain economic loss, partially because they don't think the chance of death is very high. For people that are young and healthy that don't care about anyone else, the math leads to letting others die so you can keep more money. If you care about 20 other people with an average range of health and age, then the chance that someone you care about will die is about 20%, if you care about 100, then 100%, if the virus is allowed to run rampant.

If there is a partial shutdown until a cure or vaccine is available, then the death toll will be much less. Gates says 600,000.

This pandemic is revealing people's values and odds estimating skills.

I wonder how much airport security costs and how many lives it saves.

#4 | Posted by bored at 2020-03-25 03:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I maintain that Hair Furor's ONLY motivation is to jack up the stock market and the retail economy so that he can say:

"Looky! This is the best economy in the history of the world!!!!"

Those of you who still believe that he cares about ANYTHING else,

"Coach wants to see you."

"Bring your playbook."

#5 | Posted by contrecoup at 2020-03-25 04:29 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

This is Trump's latest tweet:

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success. The real people want to get back to work ASAP. We will be stronger than ever before!
4:04 PM Mar 25, 2020

#6 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-03-25 04:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

I rest my case.

#7 | Posted by contrecoup at 2020-03-25 04:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Republicans will not argue against his words because they can't claim he's a socialist or any of the other usual talking points.

#8 | Posted by Tor at 2020-03-25 04:51 PM | Reply

The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me (Trump)to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success.

#6 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at

Any time I think I couldn't dislike him more, he surprises me.

#9 | Posted by Zed at 2020-03-25 04:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#6 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at

Ergo, why even wait until Easter?

#10 | Posted by Zed at 2020-03-25 04:57 PM | Reply

"The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success."

^
Our President Donald J. Trump thinks his election chances are better with a higher Dow, fueled by a higher death toll.

Has no one told him that even with the higher death toll, recession is simply unavoidable at this point?

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-25 05:15 PM | Reply

For a lot of us it's not about keeping more money it's about keeping food on the table and a roof over our head. My company hasn't shut down, I'm not sick, no one in my family is sick so I'm not eligible for expanded unemployment. So I either work or starve.

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-03-25 05:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#12 in your case, the math leads to spreading disease to others by dint of doing what you have to do to get by.

Please don't take that personally. You didn't invent Capitalism. I'm not blaming you. It's just what the math shows.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-25 06:15 PM | Reply

I am aware of the math and aware of the effects of the US system on the spread of viruses.

What I get pissed at is folks like bored and a few others I've run into acting like people who have to work are to blame for having to work. Heck even if a shelter at home order goes out I'm in construction/home repair which most shelter at home orders are exempting so even if one were to go in place (probably Friday in my county) I'm still out there working. Honestly since I am immune compromised I wish to heck I could just hunker down in a fort built of TP but ya know, thanks capitalism.

I can't even get upset with my employer we are a small company and I doubt he has the resources to close up indefinitely our rent is probably astronomical and we would lose a ton of customers. Since builders aren't closing up if we aren't there to do it they will go to another company who doesn't shut down. Once the customer is gone it's unlikely they will come back. So really the only hope for me of sheltering in place is I get it AND am symptomatic or a shelter in place order that does not exempt construction and/or home repair.

Effective Monday we are reducing hours and he is paying us for full time so that might help a bit. Also the bulk of my time at work is solo in the field so I'm not around many people on any given day. Mostly just co-workers, and being a big warehouse we are doing a decent job of maintaining 6 feet, and my family. Unfortunately my wife is in retail also a small company so she has had to work as well. Now come Friday it looks like she will be shut down and able to apply for unemployment which will reduce our exposure more. I just hope the owner of the company has the resources to come back after. It's an even smaller business than mine so it's possible that he won't.

#14 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-03-25 08:37 PM | Reply

It's unconscionable to me how CA has been on lockdown for 10 days now and other places haven't even started.

Today I got a message from the county that multiple benefits programs will continue uninterrupted through June and reporting requirements waived.

While you with MS still has to work?

This is insane.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-25 08:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#6 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

The "Real People." Now he's gate keeping the Coronavirus. Awesome.

And all wrapped up into vast a conspiracy to boot. Christ, just let this end already.

#16 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-03-25 09:00 PM | Reply

"The real people want to get back to work ASAP."

I agree with President Donald J. Trump.

It's just that
"As Soon As Possible"
is like June, not Easter.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-25 09:02 PM | Reply

Take a look at this:

Florida becomes hot spot for fevers, researchers say
www.wftv.com

Really interesting look into some data that's been gathered consistently over the past few years and also a lot of it in real time. Was built to give people an idea of where in the country the flu was most widespread. It's just not looking good for Florida.

Stay inside, DANNI.

#18 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-03-25 09:08 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior

Toa's post highlights the importance that those of us who can stay home should stay home. Some people have to work, and their risk reduces as they are exposed to less people.

#19 | Posted by horstngraben at 2020-03-25 09:15 PM | Reply

Does Bill Gates really think he has the business clout to talk down to the founder of Trump Steaks?

#20 | Posted by anton at 2020-03-25 09:25 PM | Reply | Funny: 4 | Newsworthy 1

That's hilarious.

Trump has a new book coming out called, "The Art of the Squeal or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Individual Stimulus at Election Time".

#21 | Posted by Corky at 2020-03-25 09:37 PM | Reply

Gates: You Can't Reopen Businesses While Virus Rages

And today:
Mississippi Governor Tate Reeves (Republican) overrides all county, city, municipalities restrictions and tells everyone to go back to work. Employers in the process of helping workers work from home order all employees back to their offices and factories. Restaurants are ordered opened for business. The only concession to COVID-19 is reducing the capacity to 10 or less. All businesses have been classified as "essential."

Mississippi has 12th highest coronavirus infection rate in the United States.

www.google.com

www.google.com

#22 | Posted by YAV at 2020-03-25 09:43 PM | Reply

Like Schumer said today, this should be a medical decision, not a political decision.

#23 | Posted by Corky at 2020-03-25 09:49 PM | Reply

"Mississippi has 12th highest coronavirus infection rate in the United States."

"Send more brains!"

And have more MAGA rallies!

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-03-26 11:19 AM | Reply

Another thing to consider about opening businesses.

It is not up to Humpy.

Humpy did not close anything. Therefore Humpy cannot open anything. It's not up to him. The virus could care less what Humpy says. He can lie to that virus all day On Fox News and twice on Sunday. Won't change a thing.

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-03-26 11:28 AM | Reply

"Does he really think the dynamics of this will let him kick the COVFEVE-19 can down the road until November?".

Are you serious?

Not sure if you're familiar with the biography of Karl Marx or not, but the man was basically the life support system for an ego. Trump is really not that different. Not terribly smart, not good at making life choices but convinced they're the next Jesus. In other words, highly entitled and unnecessarily arrogant. And for the record, I like arrogance, when you can back it up. But, like Marx, Trump can't. Both were rich kids who screwed around in politics because they had nothing else to do.

#26 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-03-26 03:13 PM | Reply

"the man was basically the life support system for an ego. Trump is really not that different."

Nah.
Trump is the life support system for an id.
Trump's rudimentary ego is only developed enough to navigate the world of language and ideas at the level of a sub-par middle school student.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 03:17 PM | Reply

Nor can open certain communities. People travel.

#28 | Posted by fresno500 at 2020-03-26 09:07 PM | Reply