Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP), auto-CPAP, and bilevel positive airway pressure (BiPAP or BPAP) machines typically used for treatment of sleep apnea (either in the home or facility setting) may be used to support patients with respiratory insufficiency provided appropriate monitoring (as available) and patient condition.

Comments

I think so. Mine forces me to breathe during a sleep apnea event whether I want to or not

#1 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-25 10:16 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-03-25 11:11 PM | Reply

"I am skeptical. They are feeding people pure o2 before they put them on a ventilator. They are getting o2 while on the ventilator. A CPAP machine is forcing you just normal air. I suppose with modifications and the addition of o2 it could work - probably need reprogramming as well. Better than absolutely nothing no doubt.

#2 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE "

Actually some CPAP machines have an auxillary O2 input. It is not an uncommon device. My doctor almost prescribed one for me until a wonder biodrug (Fasenra) came along and took care of most of my lung issues. So I still use the regular CPAP

From what I understand, filtration is an issue. But as mentioned on another thread, if NASA could, in less than 24 hours, make an adapter out of cardboard, a plastic bag, duct tape and a space hose and literally fit a square peg into a round hole, I would think in-line filters could be fabricated for a CPAP much easier.

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2020-03-25 11:25 PM | Reply

It's too bad bombs and missiles and shht can't.

We have all kinds of those.

Those ventilators are expensive though..

#4 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2020-03-26 07:58 AM | Reply

It depends on whether the needed medical "respirator" means an air-purifying respirator (CPAP) or air-supplied respirator. If the former, then the CPAP is doing exactly the same function providing positive pressure of breathing air to the lungs.

May have to beef up the purifying side as opposed to piping in oxygen.

#5 | Posted by hoser at 2020-03-26 10:29 AM | Reply

#3 Agreed. My dad's CPAP also uses either bottled oxygen or an oxygen concentrator.

#6 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2020-03-26 10:43 AM | Reply