Thursday, March 26, 2020

According to the original proposal, individuals who make up to $75,000 annually are eligible for a one-time $1,200 check. The amount paid will decrease with higher incomes. The sum of the payment falls by $5 for every $100 earned over $75,000. Anyone who earns more than $99,000 annually will not receive a check.

Comments

That is so unfair to people earning triple the median individual income!
Why would China do this to us?

We should just cut everyone a check for $1200 a month until this is over.
This is going to have to be an ongoing thing, in a nation where most people live paycheck to paycheck, and can't work.

And I actually think having a cutoff is kinda over thinking it.
If you don't need $1200 then donate it, or at least a chunk of it, to those in need in your community.
I keep hearing Republicans talk about how charity can step up; let them put their money where their mouth is.

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 04:08 AM | Reply

youtu.be

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-03-26 06:04 AM | Reply

Dem Quid Pro Quo...

#3 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2020-03-26 06:09 AM | Reply

The article doesn't say anything different than the 75k we have already read. My wife and I paid close to 8k in federal taxes for 2019 yet we make less than 150k combined so the premise of your headline is false Boaz.

#4 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-03-26 06:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Anyone who earns more than $99,000 annually will not receive a check."

We don't need one, but I'm glad folks who do will get something.

#5 | Posted by qcp at 2020-03-26 08:22 AM | Reply

Well, it's all good you people have this charitable feeling, that's good for charity.

But this is the treasury and not a charity.

I have a family of 5 I have to provide for, which I do very well. Sometimes I'm 1099 and sometimes I'm W2. Do I make alot of money? Yes, but it takes ALL of it to provide the standard of living I want my family to have. $3000 still goes a long way with me and would help our local economy as well. I might not go out and spend it on a TV or cell phone, but I would spend it on a contractor to dig a ditch at my house to lay plumbing, or have my deck re-done to fix issues.

Got nothing to do with nothing, Snoofy. You dont know what I need, nor should you care. We always get into this "You make more money than me, so you dont need all the money you make". Get the F*** out of here with that argument.

It isnt false, Tao. You live here in NC just like I do. I made well over 150K, single earner as my wife doesnt work. I still paid more than 25K in taxes and still owe 8K. And this happens year after year.

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-26 09:08 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Hey Boaz

youtu.be

#7 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-03-26 09:22 AM | Reply

Does the information say anywhere when they are verifying your income?

I would imaging 2019 is impossible as tax returns aren't done yet....so will they go off 2018?

#8 | Posted by eberly at 2020-03-26 09:28 AM | Reply

Headline is a lie. Everybody pays taxes.

#9 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-03-26 10:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Articles like this are so stupid. Everyone pays taxes and the point of taxes isn't for everyone to pay the same amount or to get the exact same benefits or of it.

#10 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-03-26 10:45 AM | Reply

F you BOAZ. I'm not rich but I've paid taxes every year since 1969. If you make too much to qualify tough ---. I don't care. I do qualify and I will use that money to feed and house my daughter and her young son and I really don't care what you think about it. If I earned enough so that I didn't qualify I sure as hell wouldn't be whining about how unfair it was, I'd be celebrating my good fortune.
Greed is an ugly thing.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2020-03-26 11:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And, BTW, when I say I've paid taxes....I don't just mean sales taxes. I've paid federal income taxes all those years.
I remember one year when my two older kids were very young. The IRS audited me and made me prove my younger child was real. Then after I did then they still screwed around and made me pay $300.00 which I did not owe. They just had to win. I paid it but in those days that was a weeks pay and it hurt. They laughed.

#12 | Posted by danni at 2020-03-26 11:04 AM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Idiot.

Wake up to the corporate raids on the treasury that inflict far more damage than people getting $1200 to survive.

You know, the biggest offender you were a part of to earn your free bennies for life.

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2020-03-26 11:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"I have a family of 5 I have to provide for, which I do very well"

You don't have a six month emergency fund set aside, Boaz?
Then you're not providing for them "very well."
Thanks for reading and understanding.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 02:11 PM | Reply

"Eventually, the people paying the bills are going to get tired of Democrats/Socialists raiding the Treasury."

Noone is making you cash the government check, Boaz.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 02:11 PM | Reply

Boaz if you make so much you won't get a check and you are married filing jointly that means you make over 198k and that puts your tax rate based on 32k in taxes at 16% or less depending on how much over 198k you make.

Are you really pitching a fit over a 16% tax rate?

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-03-26 02:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Greed is an ugly thing.

Well F you too you freeloader. You are telling the very people who are making it possible for you to get that free money that you dont care about them. Well, one day, we may not care about you. If you really need this money to feed your family, you need to be going to a charity or a church, you have bigger problems.

#17 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-26 03:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Noone is making you cash the government check, Boaz.

Of course, I'm not getting one, I'm one of the productive citizens.

#18 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-26 03:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You don't have a six month emergency fund set aside, Boaz?

Of course I do, but that's not the argument.

#19 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-26 03:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I'm not either, I'm talking about Federal income taxes.

#20 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-26 03:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

You don't have a six month emergency fund set aside, Boaz?
Of course I do, but that's not the argument.
#19 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Huh?
So then... you think this is going to last more than six months, Boaz?
Say it ain't so!

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 03:47 PM | Reply

All taxes should be same benefits for ALL Americans. Anything different is setting a set of Americans out as a special class..

#22 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-26 03:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I'm one of the productive citizens."

As an aside, I'd love to know what you produce!
Is it just someone else's wealth, or does an actual product get squirted out somewhere down the line?

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 03:49 PM | Reply

Everybody pays taxes.

If your tax liability was $1500 and you get a refund of $3000, you didnt pay any taxes.

#24 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-26 03:50 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

As an aside, I'd love to know what you produce!

I provide a service that's in demand...

What do you do again?

#25 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-26 03:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I provide a service"

So does a snake oil salesman.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 03:52 PM | Reply

"What do you do again?"

Right now? Nothing.
Well, in the past few weeks I've put a little bit of work into two papers that are in publication, but that was just a touch-up on, you know, actual work work that was done in the past.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 03:54 PM | Reply

"I provide a service that's in demand..."

Like mother, like son?

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 03:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"If your tax liability was $1500 and you get a refund of $3000,"

You're pretending income taxes are the only taxes people pay. That's a lie.

Also, back when we were kids, if the family up the street paid $1000 in income tax, and got $100 a month in welfare because they had three kids, that family "paid income tax". That's also how it was scored.

Now, they've integrated the welfare system into the 1040, and that same family is scored as "not" paying income tax. It's simply not true.

#29 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-03-26 03:55 PM | Reply

I provide a service that's in demand...
What do you do again?
#25 | Posted by boaz

Sounds to me Boaz gets paid in rubles

#30 | Posted by truthhurts at 2020-03-26 03:57 PM | Reply

You're pretending income taxes are the only taxes people pay.

You are pretending that we are talking about anything other than pay in april taxes. You know what I'm talking about. But like most liberals, you have to muddy the waters and deflect and change the subject to have a point.

#31 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-26 04:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#31 | Posted by boaz

You're an idiot, you're full of ---, And you have a severely twisted world view.

Go f**k yourself.

#32 | Posted by Angrydad at 2020-03-26 04:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I like how Boaz won't say what he, like, actually DOES.

He can't not know all he really does is transfer wealth around, for the benefit of the already wealthy, at the expense of everyone else.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 04:17 PM | Reply

I paid $26300 in fed taxes last year on my < 150K income. Amazon paid $0 on $11 Billion in profit, AND got a $129 million rebate from the US Govt. I find that more reason to be angry than the fact I wont get a check or that someone else might. Ill take my yearly income over a one time 1200 check any day. I hope it helps someone. And i hope Amazon doesnt get a dime of my tax money.

#34 | Posted by HeeHaw at 2020-03-26 04:19 PM | Reply

"You are pretending that we are talking about anything other than pay in april taxes. "

IOW, to make your point, you have to ignore the majority of the taxes 70% of Americans pay over their lifetimes....

#35 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-03-26 04:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

He has said before he is in IT what part I don't know as that provides a pretty broad spectrum. He doesn't actually produce a product since he is not a programmer but he either keeps stuff working or secures stuff so I would say that counts. I mean I don't produce a product but I do repair products so if his work doesn't count mine wouldn't either.

#36 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-03-26 06:34 PM | Reply

#36,

Your work does count, Tao. I am a SharePoint Architect, which means I do limited programming for applications to interact with SharePoint. That's only one facet of my job. I'm also a CISSP, which means I am serving as an ISO for a certain division within the state of NC. All of these things keep enterprise applications running and safe, which is a skill that's needed that not many people can do...

#34,

I can agree with some of that post. It's obscene Amazon didnt pay corporate taxes on their profit. We are in agreement there.

#37 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-26 06:41 PM | Reply

#37 so the "service that's in demand" is demanded by... the government.

The comedy writes itself.

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 06:48 PM | Reply

#38,

The service itself is in demand by most of industry. I have worked for private industry as well. It just so happens the contractor I work for offered the most money for my skills.

#39 | Posted by boaz at 2020-03-26 06:53 PM | Reply

People who still have government jobs and generous pensions should get reduced pay to help spread the economic pain of dealing with corona. We are all in this together right?

#40 | Posted by bored at 2020-03-26 08:03 PM | Reply

Boaz has got a BS job via the biggest affirmative action plan in the US. Charity funding of government projects that employ vets. He is a kept man that could not compete in the private sector.

End vet affirmative action, the US is broke, stop the socialism for the favored few.

#41 | Posted by bored at 2020-03-26 08:05 PM | Reply

So Boaz works at a government job that is paid with taxpayer dollars yet whines about the federal government? That's a kin to biting the hand that feeds you. That's a special kind of arrogance.

#42 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-03-26 08:14 PM | Reply

"yet whines about the federal government?"

He cries all the way to the bank, every time his pension check arrives.

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-26 08:18 PM | Reply

the "service that's in demand" is demanded by... the government.
The comedy writes itself.

#38 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

"The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy."
Oscar Wilde

#44 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2020-03-26 10:20 PM | Reply

...You are telling the very people who are making it possible for you to get that free money that you don't care about them.
#17 | POSTED BY BOAZ AT 2020-03-26 03:44 PM | REPLY | FUNNY: 1

Let's be clear here. 100% of the $2T stimulus plan is borrowed, not paid by "the very people" you're referencing here.

Also, why are you complaining about limits in socialistic spending? You should be applauding how the government is limiting spending at this time.

#45 | Posted by bartimus at 2020-03-27 11:04 AM | Reply

"Do I make alot of money? Yes, but it takes ALL of it to provide the standard of living I want my family to have"

~ Boaz

In other words, you live outside your means so that you can provide an illusion of a lifestyle to your family that isn't sustainable in harsh economic times.

#46 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-03-27 12:31 PM | Reply

I dont want or need a dime of government bailout because we live well within our means. The wife and I make a lot of money and we save a lot of money. On top of that we live in a working class neighbor hood. Our vehicles are in great shape but are well over 10 years old. We dont pay interest on money. We budgeted $2000 dollars for Christmas and that's 6 kids between us and her parents too.

Living a lifestyle that's impossible to maintain in an economic crisis is what's wrong with this country. That goes for people as well as companies.

On monday I offered to suspend my salary until we got through this mess ant our CEO told me that was not necessary as we have the cash to cover. What a relief working for a responsible corporation.

#47 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-03-27 12:39 PM | Reply

I'm glad the government has offered to take care of all those it has effectively put out of work. I don't think I'll get a check...but even if I do, I'll just stick it in the bank and hold on to it. In case an extended family member needs it or something. And if not, donate it to charity.

But no Bernie Bros. Those ----- can starve to death.

Maybe they can move to Venezuela or Cuba. Get a handout there.

#48 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-03-27 04:05 PM | Reply

"I'm glad the government has offered to take care of all those it has effectively put out of work."

It really doesn't occur to you that that's cheaper than if they get sick.
You really can't see the economics there, correct?

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-27 04:14 PM | Reply

so will they go off 2018?
#8 | POSTED BY EBERLY

That was my understanding.

#50 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-03-27 04:17 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Considering recent voting trends, it's clear that you already do not.

#51 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-03-27 04:20 PM | Reply

I'm one of the productive citizens.
#18 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Now you're the gate keeper of productivity?

Get off your ------- high horse!

#52 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-03-27 04:21 PM | Reply

I'm one of the productive citizens.
#18 | POSTED BY BOAZ

You've consumed more than you'll ever produce, Boaz.

#53 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-27 04:28 PM | Reply

We are all in this together right?
#40 | POSTED BY BORED

Not only are we expected to take lower pay for implementing same/similar skill sets demanded in private industry as a service to the public, now we have to take an actual pay cut during a crisis not experienced in a century?

There was a reason many people like me were once eligible for college loan forgiveness [thank you Trump and Betsy for smashing that promise to pieces] and it had everything to do with serving in the public sector while sacrificing what could have been earned in the private sector.

Put that context in your pipe and smoke it. Maybe you'll get, in the least, a contact high of reality.

#54 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-03-27 04:30 PM | Reply

But no Bernie Bros. Those ----- can starve to death.
Maybe they can move to Venezuela or Cuba. Get a handout there.
#48 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

You're a piece of garbage.

#55 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-03-27 04:33 PM | Reply

Not to mention, you've destroyed more than you'll ever create, Boaz.

#56 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-27 04:33 PM | Reply

You're a piece of garbage.
#55 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11

^
Uh oh, Looks like another lib got trolled!
(Yes I'm aware. Doesn't matter to them.)

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-27 04:34 PM | Reply

Uh oh, Looks like another lib got trolled!
(Yes I'm aware. Doesn't matter to them.)
#57 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

I'm no lib, you rat ----.

#58 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-03-27 04:38 PM | Reply

(Yes I'm aware. Doesn't matter to them.)

#59 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-27 04:39 PM | Reply