Saturday, March 28, 2020

In a signing statement, the president undermined a key safeguard Democrats had insisted upon as a condition of approving $500 billion in corporate relief in the $2 trillion law.

Comments

... "I do not understand ..." wrote Trump.

So we have that in writing, and for history?

Cool.

More seriously, I am not at all surprised to see this.

While other Presidents have used the signing statements (fmr Pres Bush used 'em, and fmr Pres Clinton used them more frequently), there still seems to be no real legal basis in the Constitution for their use.

It is an interesting way for the President to bypass the will of the People, by saying effectively, ~I sign this bill into law, but I have no intention of doing what the law says.~

In other owrds, the signing statement is the President admitting he is breaking the law.

What a curious government we have. (spell checker changed my single-letter typo in government to engorgement. I chuckled, but I changed it back to the intended government.)

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-03-28 12:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Mmmm, that's good checks and balances!

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-28 12:02 AM | Reply

That is why the Gopper were grinning at the signing. They are going to loot the US and then retire while the US burns.

#3 | Posted by bored at 2020-03-28 12:33 AM | Reply

I admit this did surprise me. I believed that chuck and nancy had beat him for once. Did this surprise them?

#4 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2020-03-28 01:04 AM | Reply

@#4 ... Did this surprise them? ...

I doubt it.

They, more than most, know how Washington works.

I would not be surprised if they had expected something along these lines, and may have even planned upon it, to get the bill passed.

It is about optics.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-03-28 01:10 AM | Reply

Maybe Nancy knows that Trump will steal the money and is hoping for another whistle blower and another impeachment. This time with Gop senators pissed that they didn't get a slice.

#6 | Posted by bored at 2020-03-28 01:52 AM | Reply

Or Maybe Nancy knew Trump would announce publicly his intension to commit a crime and she would use the courts to block payments.

#7 | Posted by bored at 2020-03-28 02:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#7 ... Nancy knew Trump would announce publicly his intension to commit a crime and she would use the courts to block payments. ...

My guess would be that precedent prevents that.

But Pres trump has been all about breaking through precedents, so, who knows?

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-03-28 02:51 AM | Reply

I would tell Nancy that she should halt progress on any other bill in the house until Trump leaves office. His abuses of power are sickening and he is only getting worse. How can they make any deals with him when he breaks them immediately.
Trump/Prison 2021

#9 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2020-03-28 08:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Yet his supporters will continue to support him.

He embodies everything they claim to hate about government, but yet they love him.

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2020-03-28 11:51 AM | Reply

#9 | Posted by 503jc69

Since Congress has adjourned indefinitely, who knows, you might just get your wish.

OCU

#11 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-03-28 11:53 AM | Reply

This will give Nancy an excuse to block the 4.5T additional subsidies the corporations have been hinting they "need".

#12 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2020-03-28 12:02 PM | Reply

The Fed has already indicated that they can provide whatever liquidity is needed for the banking system to provide the funds to American corporations. That being said, I wish it WAS necessary that only Congress could get this done, at least then we'd have some chance of getting a say in where the money went and how it was being spent. With interest rates nearing zero percent, what's to stop a corporation from borrowing the money to buy back shares of their own stock while the prices are such a bargain? While any reputable economist would tell them that's a poor use of borrowed capital, that's never stopped America's CEO's from doing stupid, short-sighted crap in the past. Why would anyone think that they'll do any different this time around.

OCU

#13 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-03-28 02:13 PM | Reply

Deja-vu all over again?

#14 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-03-28 04:43 PM | Reply

I think it was Thursday at the press conference a reporter asked Trump "what about plans for people who have no health insurance and get the virus". Trump replied "we're about to send them checks, big checks"

Seriously? that's an answer? So we basically have an orange Mitt Romney for POTUS that is seriously challenged with modern English.

#15 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-03-28 04:59 PM | Reply

Grifters gonna grift.

#16 | Posted by anton at 2020-03-28 05:22 PM | Reply

As Stormy has testified, Lil' Donnie is not likely to gag anyone, anytime, anywhere. Just sayin'.

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2020-03-28 06:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#17 | POSTED BY CORKY AT 2020-03-28 06:01 PM | FLAG:

LMAO you're goin to hell for that

#18 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-03-28 06:08 PM | Reply

Deja-vu all over again?

#14 | POSTED BY TWINPAC

Trumps suggests a lot of things.

Today he suggested too many New Yorkers are going to Florida. So he is going "quarantine" New York, Connecticut and New Jersey.

I told you I thought I saw this movie.

Next someone kidnaps the President and holds him hostage in New York and only Snake Plissken can save him. Though nobody really likes the President.

Deja-vu all over again.

#19 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-03-28 06:11 PM | Reply

Trump wants to steal some of this money, doesn't he?

#20 | Posted by Zed at 2020-03-28 06:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm sure the smell will gag you though especially if his "mushroom" still has its protective hoodie on it.

#21 | Posted by lauramohr at 2020-03-28 08:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

@#20 ... Trump wants to steal some of this money, doesn't he? ...

That is certainly one thing to conclude from his actions.

(and I am reminded by the Trump supporters saying many times, watch Pres Trump's actions...)

#22 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-03-29 12:05 PM | Reply

"I am reminded by the Trump supporters saying many times,"

I am reminded by them Trump supporters saying many times, that we libbies are overreacting only to find out later we were underreacting and it's way worse than we could have even imagined.

#23 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-03-29 12:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Stating right off the bat that he intends to rob the money or make 'new' friends with it who will pay him is what I see when he makes these statements. Just enough already!

#24 | Posted by tknees at 2020-03-29 06:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In November we can gag the corruption to our democracy known as Trumpy the Impeached.

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-03-30 10:49 AM | Reply