Monday, March 30, 2020

Today marks the 153rd anniversary of the Alaska Purchase, in which Russia sold Alaska to the United States for 7.2 million USD, or roughly 2 cents per acre. ... Vestiges of Alaska's Russian past are still visible in the landscape. Many coastal towns still bear Russian names, and there are nearly 100 Russian Orthodox churches still active in the state. In some regions, like the long-isolated Ninilchik, dialects of the Russian language can still be detected in the speech of older residents.

Comments

It must 30 years now, but there was this Russian politician who was making noise about how the sale back in 1867 was invalid and was claiming that Russia was going to go to the World Court in the Hague and try to get Alaska back.

Note that I happen to be in Washington, D.C. about the time that this was in the headlines, and I had the weekend off so I decided to visit the National Archive as well as some of the other national monuments. Anyway, at the Archive, in addition to the normal displays like the 'Declaration of Independence' and one of the original copies of the 'Magna Carta', they had also put on display, in response to the threats by that Russian politician, the original 'Bill of Sale' signed by Secretary of State William Seward and the Russian minister Eduard de Stoeckl, as well as the 'cancelled check' for $7.2 million. It was as if the chief archivist was saying to the Russians, "You just go ahead and try it".

OCU

#1 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-03-30 08:51 PM | Reply

That's roughly $126M in 2020 dollars just by inflation, so a pretty epic deal by Seward any way you look at it.

#2 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-03-30 09:26 PM | Reply

Seward's folly!

Of course, the Russians will never get Alaska back. But maybe we can send them the Palins!

#3 | Posted by horstngraben at 2020-03-30 09:43 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

trump will try to give it back saying it's to make ammends for all the horrible things America did while Obama was on an apology tour.

And his followers won't even notice the irony.

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2020-03-30 10:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I lived in AK 14 years... fun place

#5 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-03-30 10:28 PM | Reply

Alaska is dope. It belongs on the Bucket List. Just don't take a cruise!

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-03-30 10:29 PM | Reply

no... AK is something you need to savor
Truly the last frontier.

#7 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-03-30 11:03 PM | Reply

Looks like you need to re-read the definition of "Irony" a few dozen times so that you learn how to use it properly.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-03-30 11:12 PM | Reply

Ya know... The Palins were just your ordinary Alaskan family. Nothing special. The republicl0wns made her into the monster. They gave her and image and she went ca-ching.

Also AK is the only place I've ever lived where women were truly emancipated.

#9 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-03-30 11:31 PM | Reply

Also AK is the only place I've ever lived where women were truly emancipated.
#9 | Posted by RightisTrite

I doubt that:

www.youtube.com

#10 | Posted by horstngraben at 2020-03-30 11:43 PM | Reply

My Late wifes girlfiend worked at the border and she was amazed by how many Americans think Alaska is a 3-4 hour drive from the Washington state and get refused entry into Canada as a result of being ill equipped for the trip.

#11 | Posted by Scotty at 2020-03-31 12:02 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY SCOTTY AT 2020-03-31 12:02 AM | REPLY | FLAG:MMMHHMMM

Actually I have driven the AlCan several times. The road is completely paved now so it is much easier. However, you will spend days driving in the middle of nowhere... without communication. That is why they check and make sure you have some provisions, money etc before you go. It is a long stretch between villages and towns.

Before it was paved the dust on the roads got so bad it was impossible to see. It's worse than fog and you can't use your wipers until you get to a hose with running water. Sometimes you could be inched along by road workers for miles. It's a 6-day drive from border to border... you can push it if you are in a hurry... Not sure why you would want to because it is breathtaking. Canada is a beautiful country.. but not for the faint-hearted or slightly wussey.

#12 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-03-31 07:35 AM | Reply

The Moscow Times?

Surely there was a better source?

Anyway glad Trumpy finally found out what a good job Seward is doing up there. He just heard Seward was doing good things. Tremendous things. The best things. Know one knows what kind of things and what they are called but obviously very good things.

#13 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-03-31 10:31 AM | Reply

Wow. I had no idea it was that long.

Sounds like a trip I might have to plan...

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2020-03-31 01:36 PM | Reply

Alaska sounds like a genuine frontier.. from a distance!

#15 | Posted by LesWit at 2020-03-31 03:48 PM | Reply

Wow. I had no idea it was that long.

Sounds like a trip I might have to plan...

#14 | Posted by jpw

I have a theory that American film is responsible.Alaska is frequently that wild refuge that the hero from the lower 48 escape to in the final scenes in films.Blow up bad guy scene -entering Canada hero sees sign" Alaska turn north" next scene entering USA pulling into survivors camp in Alaska. roll credits

#16 | Posted by Scotty at 2020-03-31 04:15 PM | Reply

Once you get to the AK border you are still miles from a "major" city. I think it was 10-12 hours to Anchorage and 6 to Fairbanks. AK is a whole lot of nothing.
I thought it was fun that Canada was south of the border... also it wasn't unusual to get Canadian coins in your change. The just sort of circulated. Not many but it was fairly common and not a big deal.

I used to spend a couple of weeks in Whitehorse the capital of the Yukon Territory.

Seriously if you haven't done it... do it. You can do a loop where you drive the AlCAn and Ferry back into Victoria, Vancouver. You sleep on deck cots on the ferry.
I recommend a month.

BTW climate change deniers are full of $#!t

#17 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-03-31 04:34 PM | Reply

On This Day in 1867 U.S. Bought Alaska from Russia and 140 years later this transaction enabled Sarah Palin to be able to see Russia from her house.

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-03-31 04:42 PM | Reply

When Alaska became a state in 1959 my father almost moved our family there (I was 12 at the time). He went so far as to look into the sort of jobs he could get there as they were looking for certain skills and trades, and since he was a heavy equipment operator and a trained diesel mechanic, he soon learned that he would have no problem getting a good job. However, something came-up, can't recall what it was, but he never followed-up. For years, my mother always talked about visiting Alaska, even after my father passed-away, she kept saying that some day she was going, if for no other reason than to see what she had missed.

Anyway, my wife and I decided that we would like to visit Alaska ourselves and so in the fall of 1999, we decided that in the Spring we would book a cruise, up the Inside Passage, to visit at least part of the state. And of course we told my mother what our plans were and that we would love for her to come with us. She lived in Michigan, but she came out to California almost every year anyway, so the plan was, she would fly out in the Spring, spend a couple of weeks or so, we would then all fly up to Vancouver, board the ship there, take the cruise, then fly back to SoCal, spend another week or so and then she'd fly back to Michigan.

So that was the plan. We didn't want to book the trip too far in advance as something might come-up so we put it off. And sure enough, something came up. Around the middle of March my mother started to feel ill and she went to the doctor who just couldn't find anything wrong but knew there was a problem and since she had really good insurance (my father had worked for the state of Michigan for 30 years and retired with great insurance that paid 100% of everything, included as part of his pension benefits) so the doctor sent he to a diagnostic medical center associated with the Mayo Clinic. Unfortunately, her condition did not improve and 10 days later she died from a very rare and hard to detect form of cancer.

After that we told ourselves that while it would have been great that have taken her with us, we were still going on that trip, so we did, in June 2000, my wife and I, and my wife's sister and her husband (they were also from Michigan), took that inside passage cruise from Vancouver up to Skagway and back.

Moral of the story; don't wait too long, it might never happen.

OCU