Thursday, April 02, 2020

By the hundreds of thousands, Americans are asking for help for the first time in their lives, from nail technicians in Los Angeles to airport workers in Fort Lauderdale, from bartenders in Phoenix to former reality show contestants in Minnesota.

Comments

Like 70 percent of the people who showed up at Crossroads Community Services one day last week, Mr. Lacy had never been there before. But when the coronavirus pandemic drove the economy off a cliff, Mr. Lacy, 27 and a father of two, lost his warehouse job and saw his hours at 7-Eleven slashed.

"I've never had to actually do this," Mr. Lacy said, after a gloved pantry worker hefted a box of food into the trunk of the car he was riding in along with two neighbors. "But I've got to do what I've got to do for my kids."

David Greenfield, chief executive of Met Council, a nonprofit that provides food and housing assistance in New York City, said that at first, "we saw retail workers, chefs and waiters, and restaurant owners."

By last week, he said, they were seeing employees from law firms: "Folks who in many cases were employed their entire lives."

In its unsparing breadth, the crisis is pitting two American ideals against each other " the e pluribus unum credo of solidarity and its near-religious devotion to the idea that hard work brings rewards. Those notions coexist peacefully in prosperous times.

Today, both are being put to the test, forcing the newly unemployed to re-evaluate beliefs about themselves and their country.

I hadn't actually thought about this yet. Millions of Americans who've never had to depend upon our social safety net are finding out that for way too many it's more of a safety string than it is a net. Now these people are going to find out how employment-insecure people try and survive in today's world firsthand themselves.

This pandemic has the opportunity to change the political dynamics of US social policy for at least a generation. I only pray that what exists now holds together through this crisis. But looking at this article, that isn't looking very likely to the extent it needs to.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-03-31 08:58 PM | Reply

When times look bad enough even hard core Libertarians start wanting them some Socialism. I ain't laughing at y'all though, just glad you're starting to recognize that we all need each other. Going it alone has no future. We don't need to be Communists to understand that if we are good Americans then we need to remember that all Americans deserve help when they need it and we're all going to need it pretty soon. No shame in that. We can still have business, banks, etc. but basic needs will probably need to be provided by the government we have supported all our lives.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2020-03-31 09:09 PM | Reply

Biting back shame, and wondering guiltily about others in more dire straits, they are applying for unemployment, turning to GoFundMe, asking for money on Instagram, quietly accepting handouts from co-workers, and showing up in unprecedented numbers at food banks, which are struggling to meet soaring demand.

As the first of the month rolled around there were looming questions about which bills households and companies would be able to pay " including the rent.

And the downturn, and the recent stimulus package passed by Congress, have revived the debate about America's safety net programs, which the Trump administration has worked in recent years to shrink, and to add more work requirements to.

The challenges facing the nation, and the world, are far-reaching. The pandemic is above all a public health emergency, and the abrupt halt of commercial activity threatens to impose economic pain so profound and enduring in every region of the world at once that recovery could take years.

And this is only the beginning of something that will take months and months, perhaps spanning over a year to resolve. How is America going to make sure that its now needy citizens survive?

#3 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-04-01 01:08 PM | Reply

#3 How is America going to make sure that its now needy citizens survive?

Well, the GOP have 500 Billion ready to hand out to large corporations to save the stock portfolios of the rich. I am sure some of that will trickle down, this time.

#4 | Posted by bored at 2020-04-01 09:13 PM | Reply

#4 Rich people never want to share with the less fortunate. You have more faith in humanity than me,unless that was snark.

#5 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-01 10:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I hate Socialism. Now give me my check."

Trumpers I work with.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2020-04-02 08:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sadly we won't see this lesson last beyond the length of time "c-c-conservatives" need help.

Once they're back to to work they'll be right back to deriding social programs and "those people" who use them, conveniently ignoring their own usage of them.

Happens all the time and is one of the bed rocks of the toxicity of "c-c-conservative ideals".

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2020-04-02 10:51 AM | Reply

You see, when other people need it, it's because they are lazy pieces of ----.

But when I need it, it's because I'm just unlucky despite being the bestest worker ever and like totally deserve it!

This is Republican "Thinking". I mean, look at the Conservatives on here who have literally said it.

#8 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-04-02 12:15 PM | Reply

bwa-haha... the socialist agenda is working... now let's make everyone kweir.

#9 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-04-02 12:24 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

This is the first time I have used unemployment benefits. No guilt or shame, this is what they are there for, right? Been paying in my whole working life, asking for help when I actually need it is ok.

Super lucky the wife can work from home.

#10 | Posted by Ottodog at 2020-04-02 05:25 PM | Reply

My business has picked up.

And not just a little bit, it's up significantly. My phone won't stop ringing. It's 10 pm and I think I've finished answering today's email.

I'd looked into the unemployment benefits for self employed people, I was looking at what it would take to file.

And then it went all went weird. I'm not complaining, and I can do almost everything from home so I'm not creating any health risk for anybody.

But I'm not typical. And that's why I support Bernie Sanders for president.

EVERYONE deserves healthcare.