Friday, April 03, 2020

President Trump did not create the coronavirus, but his failure to act swiftly and implement extensive testing and contact tracing left us with one option: extreme social distancing. And naturally, social distancing meant the economy ground to a halt. In that sense, the recession is a product of Trump's mismanagement and willful ignorance.

Comments

Trump and his Republicans are vulnerable on three counts: failure to act to head off the pandemic, failure to respond adequately to the crisis and corruption in the response (in an administration already infamous for corruption and self-dealing).

The economic crisis may continue long after the worst of the health crisis is behind us. Trump will faces three major challenges: Did he do everything to head off a deep recession? Did he do enough to help those hurt? Did he prevent profiteering and corruption that diverted and from the needy? Unless the answer to all three is "yes," Trump will have a hard time persuading Americans to leave him in charge of mitigation and recovery.

As much as he tries to blameshift, this is one albatross that Donald Trump will be unable to dislodge and blame on everything and everyone but for himself. Trump considers himself the CEO President and now this nation finds itself not unlike his own failed businesses, broke, foundering, and rudderless during a once-in-a-century storm. Trump considers himself a wartime President, yet he calls the frontline troops whiners for demanding protective gear as health workers are falling ill to the virus in alarming rates due to the lack of protective gear, the literal ammunition for fighting this enemy.

It may take time, perhaps measuring in years for America's economy to recover from extensive damage that foresight and planning should have mitigated. But that would have taken leadership, wisdom and vision, something this President only finds when he preens into his mirror and sees a Colossus; while the rest of us are left wallowing in the detritus of his most colossal failure.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-04-02 04:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The Trump Recession is going to be even greater than the Great Recession.
It's going to be the D Word.

I wasn't sure of the economic definition of Depression, so I googled it:

In economics, a depression is a sustained, long-term downturn in economic activity in one or more economies. It is a more severe economic downturn than a recession, which is a slowdown in economic activity over the course of a normal business cycle.

Clearly the normal business cycle is not going to be possible, for multiple sectors.
Depression is the only word for what's just starting.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-02 07:38 PM | Reply

If can go back in time, insert Hillary as president, and imagine where we'd be right now and what we would be looking at moving forward.

Assuming we were in the same shape 3 months ago, how different would it be now?

Measurable differences....

The number of infected, number of deaths, projected number of infected and deaths, unemployment claims, projected unemployment, etc....

So many variables...the main one we focus on is the delayed action of this White House which is a fair point/criticism to make.

But it doesn't make it much easier to predict the what ifs and how it would have turned out.

I didn't vote for Trump and I feel no obligation to defend anything he does.....things just are what they are....and I come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter how much I blame Trump.

I've learned to not do that. Rather, look forward and how I can best deal with the challenges I have ahead of me. Not whine about decisions outside my control that were in the past.

#3 | Posted by eberly at 2020-04-02 07:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Like clockwork (R)tard as a president = recession.

That's what happens when these idiots break government then complain that government is broken.

#5 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2020-04-02 09:26 PM | Reply

You're cute.

Wanna spoon later? I'm sure you're big and strong.

Tough guy.......

#7 | Posted by eberly at 2020-04-02 10:23 PM | Reply

If can go back in time, insert Hillary as president

I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have shut down the group in the NSC whose job it was to be an early warning system for pandemics because it was a waste of money, or whatever...

#8 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2020-04-02 10:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I'm also pretty sure she wouldn't have ignored the advice of the medical professionals, either.

#9 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2020-04-02 10:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

You might be right. Can't do anything to change where we are, though.

I'm going to focus on tomorrow and the next day

Not Hillary.....not saying you are....just saying

#10 | Posted by eberly at 2020-04-02 10:41 PM | Reply

No ----- sherlock. Of course we cant' say definitively how things would be different under a Hillary administration (shutter....gag).

In fact, I'm betting early guidelines would have been ignored much as pertinent guidelines are being ignored now and case numbers could have still been high. It was inevitable in my mind that people wouldn't listen until ----- flying off the fan hit them in the face.

But at the very least I think we'd have consistency in directives, directives taken from experts and delivered by experts, not the Walmart and Lab Corp CEOs.

We also would have had an administration that would have thought more about people's health and safety rather than the economy and, by extension, their reelection. Which means medical supply stockpiling, buying and production. A month's longer lead time on hospital preparation and strategizing. A month's lead time on vaccine and antiviral testing and production.

#3 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Some of us can hold more than one thought in our head at a time.

No reason to not blame Trump for his failures, make sure those failures and advertised and meet the ensuing challenges head on.

#11 | Posted by jpw at 2020-04-02 10:59 PM | Reply

"Some of us can hold more than one thought in our head at a time."

No shift, Sherlock.

#12 | Posted by eberly at 2020-04-02 11:47 PM | Reply

"Of course we cant' say definitively how things would be different under a Hillary administration (shutter....gag)."

Also true. But we have a lot of folks who know better.

Whodaman for example.

#13 | Posted by eberly at 2020-04-02 11:51 PM | Reply

You'd figure most Clinton voters would figure Clinton would have done a better job.

I bet even Eberly thinks that.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-02 11:54 PM | Reply

No shift, Sherlock.
#12 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Sooooo......why only focus on the outcome while ignoring the cause as an uncontrolled variable?

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2020-04-03 12:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Eberly has a philosophy that if you see a house on fire, there's really nothing can be done to put it out or prevent other houses from catching fire.

Besides. Fires eventually burn themselves out.

So, why bother doing anything about anything and just continue on with your life.

#16 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-04-03 12:38 AM | Reply

"why only focus on the outcome while ignoring the cause as an uncontrolled variable?"

You're asking me?

So, when you said "some of us can hold more than 1 thought in our head at a time", you were clearly excluding yourself.

The fact you have to ask that question says it all.

I know you want me to pay attention to you, boy.

Not tonight.

#17 | Posted by eberly at 2020-04-03 12:48 AM | Reply

Besides, if you can't understand stand my point then just STFU.

Why admit you're both too fulking dumb to get it? Unless of course you're too dumb to understand that's what you're doing.

Just stick to snarky comments about what comes out of trumps ass and ----. That's a great way to prepare for tomorrow. [...]

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2020-04-03 12:58 AM | Reply

You're asking me?
The fact you have to ask that question says it all.

LOL

You're the one who stated you push it out of your mind and deal with the challenges it presents. YOU admitted to only having one thought in your head.

Whereas I am more than willing to point out Trump's multiple missteps while professionally and personally dealing with said missteps. So no, I didn't "exclude myself".

That you don't understand the shallowness of your own statement is what really says it all.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2020-04-03 01:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 | Posted by snoofy

A depression is defined by either:

1. A decline in real GDP exceeding 10%
2. A recession lasting 2 or more years.

This WILL be the Trump Depression. GDP is going to shrink more than 10% because this has got a minimum of 2 more months before they lighten the orders. It will then reflare because we don't have a good system for locking people down and thoroughly tracking their contacts. That and too many Americans are stupid and selfish.

Of course Trump will try to label it the Great China Virus Depression.

#27 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-04-03 10:34 AM | Reply

Nice work Republicans!

Is that 4/4 now? 5/5?

When was the last Republican President that avoided screwing the economy?

#29 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-04-03 02:28 PM | Reply

When was the last Republican President that avoided screwing the economy?

Eisenhower.

But. Today, conservatives would consider him a socialist.

So would "moderate" democrats.

#30 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-04-03 02:33 PM | Reply

Aaron Rupar
""
@atrupar
Trump's message to the 6 million people who filed unemployments claims in the last week is that "it's an artificial closing. It's not like we have a massive recession or worse. It's artificial because we turned it off ... we will probably do more."

#31 | Posted by Reinheitsgebot at 2020-04-03 02:38 PM | Reply

it doesn't matter how much I blame Trump.

Considering everyone has the opportunity to remove Trump in about 7 months, it absolutely matters how much blame he receives for things he has done (or hasn't done). If he were term limited your post would make sense. Learning from mistakes and not repeating them is something everyone should do.

#32 | Posted by JOE at 2020-04-03 02:39 PM | Reply

10% is not nearly enough.
Thinking more like 35%.
I can't really say how strongly a bunch of unforeseen deaths and the Dow are correlated, but we're looking at dozens if not hundreds of 9/11s in the coming weeks.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-03 02:39 PM | Reply

it absolutely matters how much blame he receives for things he has done

Not to Eberly.

Based on what he's chosen to share, Eberly in a moderately wealthy white guy who hasn't been adversely effected by Trump, yet.

So. He just doesn't understand why everyone else is making such a big deal out of everything he says or does.

#34 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-04-03 02:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Your 401k was meant for harvesting, not you. Otherwise you'd have a pension.

#35 | Posted by bruceaz at 2020-04-03 03:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Cannot compare as is apples vs oranges. Be happy that President Trump was able to improve the economy as much as he did in three years or things would be even worse right now.

#36 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-04-03 03:12 PM | Reply

#36 Hahahahahahahahahahahahhaa

*breathes*

AAAAAAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

#37 | Posted by joe at 2020-04-03 03:19 PM | Reply

Other than Trump occupying the WH, what other evidence is there that he did a damn thing for the economy?

#38 | Posted by jpw at 2020-04-03 03:21 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY EBERLY

^
Oh, now I see what's been plaguing Eberly ever since Trump got elected.
He's got a case of Stockholm Syndrome

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-03 05:50 PM | Reply

Nice work Republicans!

Is that 4/4 now? 5/5?

When was the last Republican President that avoided screwing the economy?

#29 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

Eisenhower.

#40 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2020-04-03 10:46 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY EBERLY

First off, again, stop with the lies, you voted for Benedict Donald and will again.

Secondly where was the attitude when the black guy was president? .... just vicious lies from you for 8 years, and certainly no "it's not the president's fault back then".

You claiming not to be a partisan hack is about as funny as a lily white racist redneck like Boazo claiming to be a black guy or FakeLawyer pretending to be a real lawyer.

Your lies are coming back to haunt you old man, you've told so many you cannot keep them all straight!

#41 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2020-04-03 10:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Give it up.
Stockholm Syndrome Eberly ain't changing his script until he gets rescued and deprogrammed.
This is like trying to blame Patty Hearst for robbing that bank.

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-03 11:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The economy was a bubble when Trump was elected. Obama helped to blow it up too. I've been waiting 3years for the everything bubble to pop. The virus is far worse than anything else that popped it would have been.
If something else like a drop in oil prices or a failure of low interest rates to sustain demand had triggered it,things would have been bad but not catastrophic. The virus means mass death and disability for many people.
The lockdown will cause rippling effects through the economy that are hard to predict. This will be the worst downturn of our lifetimes, no question.
Trump will own it like Herbert Hoover owned the last big one.

It will be his true legacy.

#43 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-03 11:34 PM | Reply

The govt ain't gonna save you. Over reliance on govt is like praying to a sky God to fix your transmission. All government levels are woefully underprepared, not just the feds. Blaming trump is like blaming mom for not doing your homework. May we all learn that good governance starts at home.

#44 | Posted by visiter at 2020-04-04 10:05 AM | Reply

#44 Meaning what exactly? How can someone be self reliant with no resources at their disposal? Pull them out of thin air? Explain.

#45 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-04 12:23 PM | Reply

#44 | POSTED BY comrade VISITER

Your blindly defending of Orange Adolf, stupidly believing every thing Fox News, and pretending to be Rambo isn't going to save you. Your stupidity will be your downfall. Keep licking doorknobs you feral Trumper.

#46 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2020-04-04 04:01 PM | Reply