Friday, April 03, 2020

Congressional Democrats have boasted about the strict conditions they negotiated to make sure the CARES Act's massive corporate-aid package benefits employees rather than their bosses.

"We ensured in the bill that any taxpayer dollars given to industry goes first and foremost to worker paychecks and benefits, not CEO bonuses, stock buybacks or dividends," Speaker Nancy Pelosi declared in her floor speech before the House passed the CARES Act.

But that wasn't exactly true.

While the bipartisan legislation that President Trump signed Friday did attach tight strings to the $46 billion the Treasury Department will dispense to airlines and firms it deems vital to national security, the other $454 billion in the law for larger firms that will flow through Federal Reserve lending programs doesn't have the tight restrictions that both Speaker Pelosi and Sen. Shumer promised they would get.

Comments

Wait, what? We were told that Nancy and Chuck got exactly what they promised they would get.

-The Left

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-04-03 05:37 PM | Reply

"the other $454 billion in the law for larger firms that will flow through Federal Reserve lending programs"

Those aren't "taxpayer dollars."
They're The Fed's dollars.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-03 05:40 PM | Reply

Those aren't "taxpayer dollars."
They're The Fed's dollars.

If you say that three times fast, Nancyjuice and Chucky will appear in your room.

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-04-03 05:50 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

If I say it just once, you set deflectors to Kudlow.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-03 05:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Since this thread is about Pelosi, Schumer and their false promises, yet another deflection noted.

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-04-03 06:31 PM | Reply

Deflections about any time a Democrat faces criticism.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-04-03 06:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Senator Mark Warner (D-Va.) did insert one provision with a sweeping list of restrictions on bailed-out companies"including retention of 90 percent of the workforce, pay cuts for executives earning more than $3 million a year, bans on outsourcing and offshoring, and even protections for collective bargaining agreements and union organizing campaigns. But that provision only directs Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to "endeavor to" set up a program with those specifications, and insiders suggest the Fed doesn't feel bound by them.

And while the CARES Act does seem to limit companies that receive direct loans through Fed programs from buying back stock, paying dividends, or raising executive pay for a year, it allows Mnuchin to waive those provisions as long as he explains his rationale to Congress.

Off his Rocs makes the case that despite the Dems clear instructions not to rob the Treasury, you can't trust the GOP to obey the law. Only a fool would vote for the GOP.

#8 | Posted by bored at 2020-04-03 06:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"But that provision only directs Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin to "endeavor to" set up a program with those specifications, and insiders suggest the Fed doesn't feel bound by them."

Yeah, that's exactly what we wanted to have happen!

-Democrat apologists everywhere

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-04-03 06:53 PM | Reply

"endeavor to"

So let me make sure I understand the argument that's being advanced here:
Pelosi said "We ensured in the bill that any taxpayer dollars" blah blah blah.
But the language in the bill merely requires that Treasury "endeavor to" blah blah blah.

So the argument here is that simply asking Treasury to endeavor to do something does not ensure the Treasury will actually do it.
And knowing how Trump operates, we might as well concede the Treasury won't even try.

I think I'm smelling what you're stepping in, RightOCenter.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-03 07:07 PM | Reply

Yawn. Partisan hackery is boring.

"But they do it too" has never been a compelling excuse.

#11 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-03 08:24 PM | Reply

Wow Snoofy, you should apply for a job at Priorities USA as a Spin Doctor!

That almost made sense!

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-04-03 08:35 PM | Reply

"That almost made sense!"

Almost, you mean, some small part of it still elude you?
Hmm. I don't think it's my explanation...
Oh I know. It probably goes back to what your definition of "is" is.
I know that's been a demon you've been struggling with for decades now.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-03 09:51 PM | Reply

So instead of condemning the raid on the treasury you're making this into yet another lame attempt to tell people what their views are?

Piss off. I guess with nulli gone you felt the need to fill the role of village idiot.

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2020-04-04 11:28 AM | Reply

Deflections about any time a Democrat faces criticism.

#7 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

You idiots whine about Dems while offering nothing but mealy mouthed condemnations of the Orange Schitstain.

But still demand to be taken seriously. LOL Yeah right.

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2020-04-04 11:29 AM | Reply

You're right, we do condemn Donnie Little Hands when he deserves it, glad you noticed.

#16 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-04-04 12:00 PM | Reply

LOL hardly.

And only for a post then its back to deflect deflect deflect.

Which is all your postings seem to be lately.

#17 | Posted by jpw at 2020-04-04 02:31 PM | Reply

And only for a post...

Why bother? I have a ton of criticisms I'd like to levy against Trump, but no matter how critical of him I get, because I don't think he's 100% wrong about everything 100% of the time and when he does something I approve of I give credit where it's due, I'm labeled a Trump ball-gargler.

So, why should I even bother giving DR -------- the satisfaction by vocalizing my criticisms of him.

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-04-04 03:00 PM | Reply

then its back to deflect deflect deflect.

Which is all your postings seem to be lately.

#17 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2020-04-04 02:31 PM

Says the guy who takes every thread that isn't about Trump and deflects to Trump.

LMAO!

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-04-04 03:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

LOL you have no idea how your postings come across, do you?

#20 | Posted by jpw at 2020-04-04 03:21 PM | Reply

@ FakeLawyer,

Your party controls 2/3 of the federal government (senate, and presidency) and this is the democrats fault? You're so dumb, there is no way you are a lawyer.

#22 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2020-04-05 01:26 PM | Reply

"Wow Snoofy, you should apply for a job at Priorities USA as a Spin Doctor!"

I have that clown plonked but it's without question that guy is 100% unemployable

"You're so dumb, there is no way you are a lawyer."

And you don't know any actual lawyers in real life, obviously. I know many...and their real world knowledge isn't any more than anybody else of any reasonable level of intelligence and/or education.

#23 | Posted by eberly at 2020-04-05 01:31 PM | Reply