Saturday, April 04, 2020

"Wet" markets are what China calls its fresh food markets, the kind you see all over the developing world and in many parts of Europe, where small stalls sell fresh vegetables and butchers sell meat, primarily pork. So-called for their open-air origins, where the ground was hosed down throughout the day, they are the traditional backbone to China's food supply system.

Comments

I've seen a number of stories lately about the reopening of wet markets in China, and the condemnation from people like Senator Graham. It's just plain ignorance.

#1 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-04 03:27 AM | Reply

The problem is not the market.

The problem is the goods.

Bats and pangolins need to be removed from the human food chain, because they are reservoirs of coronavirus, Ebola virus, and probably lots of other bad things we don't even know about yet.

The only ethical and sustainable way to consume meat is grow it in a lab or raise it yourself. Industrializing it doesn't work. It only seems to work until you die from coroanvirus because of high blood pressure and heart disease from eating too much meat.

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-04 03:36 AM | Reply

"Bats and pangolins"

Neither of these are sold in most "wet" markets. It's extremely rare, despite what some people have been claiming.

#3 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-04 03:54 AM | Reply

So what's "extremely rare" mean in a country of 1.3 billion?

Few times a year? Week? Hour?

Go rehabilitate your math skills for a change.

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-04 04:22 AM | Reply

It's clear you have more than one thing in common with Lindsey Graham.

#5 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-04 04:36 AM | Reply

thehill.com

It isn't just Graham saying they need to go. What is so hard about going to an ALDI and getting your meat? Why on earth is it so ingrained in their culture to eat weird nasty stuff and watch it get slaughtered.

#6 | Posted by byrdman at 2020-04-04 04:51 AM | Reply

A retired U.S. Air Force Reserve colonel, Graham is known in the Senate for his advocacy of a strong national defense[2] and aggressive interventionist foreign policy.[3] Initially, he was also known for his willingness to be bipartisan and work with Democrats on issues like campaign finance reform, a ban on waterboarding, immigration reform, and judicial nominees.[4][5][6][7][8][9] He has criticized the Tea Party movement, arguing for a more inclusive Republican Party. en.wikipedia.org

My, how times have changed.
So Much Winning!
#MAGA

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-04 05:13 AM | Reply

"Why on earth is it so ingrained in their culture to eat weird nasty stuff and watch it get slaughtered."

LOL.
Just LOL.
Turkeys Slaughtered Behind Sarah Palin During Interview
youtu.be

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-04 06:00 AM | Reply

Meat is MURDER. PETA 2020. Lol.

#9 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-04 09:11 AM | Reply

It's extremely rare, despite what some people have been claiming.
#3 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

I've read that a wealthier Chinese middle class has driven the demand for more "exotic" meats. Just some food for thought in this type of discussion.

#10 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-04-04 09:59 AM | Reply

"Dr. Anthony Fauci, a key member of the White House coronavirus task force, said Friday China and other nations should be pressured to shut down so-called "wet markets" as the new novel coronavirus spreads throughout the world.
thehill.com"

That's consistent with his messaging that all public gatherings should be shut down right now, including what you think of as regular farmers' markets. That's not sustainable in the long term, especially in places where it's the backbone of their food supply.

The article you're quoting also points out that the theory that it came from animals at a wet market are just rumors that have been swirling around.

There's also this:

"But the question of whether to ban such markets is a complex one. The Chinese government tried to ban wet markets in 2013 after a deadly avian flu outbreak, which only led to more dangerous black markets."

"What is so hard about going to an ALDI and getting your meat? Why on earth is it so ingrained in their culture to eat weird nasty stuff and watch it get slaughtered."

Have you ever eaten fresh meat before? It sounds like you haven't, which explains why you can't fathom why many are averse to buying it at ALDI or Walmart. Consumers have no idea where that meat actually meat from. For all you know, it could actually come from the children of illegal immigrants.

"I've read that a wealthier Chinese middle class has driven the demand for more "exotic" meats."

#11 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-04 10:53 AM | Reply

The epidemiology actually suggests that the market was merely where patient zero spread it to more people, but not likely the location of the initial zoonotic event.

Fact is somebody somewhere in China has been in close contact with bats or intermediate hosts. For what purpose, we'll never know unless that person can be found.

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2020-04-04 11:26 AM | Reply

Let me guess, you read that on the internet, right? As the summary of this thread points out, the type of meat they sell at "wet" markets is primarily pork. #11 | POSTED BY SENTINEL

Yup. FWIW, I've only bought fruits and veggies at wet markets when I was overseas. The ones I've been to in SE Asia with meats laying out never seemed hygienic enough to try the meat, and there wasn't "exotic" meats at those.

An article about Chinese exotic wildlife markets, including arrest numbers for early 2020 regarding wildlife trafficking:
www.motherjones.com

#13 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-04-04 11:53 AM | Reply

This entire BS article, written by a longtime resident of China, simply says "you don't mean wet markets, you mean wildlife markets". Distinction without a difference, especially since the two often share a physical space. This clown is trying to muddy the waters, but the essential truth is this: the Chinese eat bats, the bats carried the coronavirus and infected either the vendor or the consumer. Patient Zero then spread it through Wuhan, and thanks to the secretive fascist regime in China and their toadies at the WHO, it was spread throughout the world.

#14 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2020-04-04 02:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

No, Mustang.

Fact-check: Is Chinese culture to blame for the coronavirus?

#15 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-04 02:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Eating meat spreads viruses. Eating wild meat spreads novel viruses. SARS came from mouse-bird mix. Spansish Flu and HIN1 came from pig farms in North America.

Should we ban game hunting? Should we ban meat? Good luck with that.

#16 | Posted by bored at 2020-04-04 02:39 PM | Reply

Ban them, meat is murder. Bats are not food for any normal person,these people are a menace to everyone,and no I'm not racist.

#17 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-04 03:03 PM | Reply

"these people are a menace to everyone,and no I'm not racist."

Yes you are.

#18 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-04 03:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Based on what? I find some of their habits loathsome,that's not racism. Racism would be saying it was somehow intrinsic to all Chinese or that it was part of who they are as a nation. I never even implied that. I don't like disgusting habits no matter where they are found. If I said the Aztecs were disgusting because they cut out human hearts for Quetzalcoatl,would that be racist?
I don't like smoking if I tell someone of a different race or nationality not to smoke around me, is that racist? Jeez.

#19 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-04 07:59 PM | Reply

Shhhh, focus on Trump...

-The DNC

#20 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-04-04 08:34 PM | Reply

#18 You realize your retorted article refers to the "wet markets" the posted headline intends to refute?

#21 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2020-04-04 09:04 PM | Reply

Maybe Michelle can plant a garden in China and share her lunch recommendations. I know that all went well here.

#22 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-04-04 09:05 PM | Reply

The wet markets I went to in Dalian were mostly about seafood though we did buy pork there too. The clams were laid out in tiers and perfectly lined up so they could take and filter the water running over them keeping them happy - you had to watch out as you walked by or you'd get hit by a stream propelled by a clam. If you wanted to buy crabs you were free to pick out your choices by hand if you were brave and wick enough or there were tongs. The walls of tanks with live fish were incredibly extensive but the fish guys were somehow able to capture the one you pointed at. The wet market is part of the attitude of food as a celebration of life day to day.

#23 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2020-04-05 02:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

*quick

#24 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2020-04-05 02:27 AM | Reply

#21, you'll need to be more specific if you want me to address whatever you're taking about.

#25 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-05 04:21 AM | Reply

"I never even implied that."

"these people" are a menace to everyone, you wrote. It doesn't matter if you meant specifically Chinese or a subset of a wide number of cultures with culinary tastes different from your own. This disease did come from eating a bat or any other type of meat. The Chinese are very thorough when it comes to cooking their meats, although they would never dare overcook vegetables.

#26 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-05 04:34 AM | Reply

did *not come from

#27 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-05 04:36 AM | Reply

It came from keeping live bats for consumption in close proximity to living pangolins,also for consumption. So yes,it was nasty food markets that kicked this thing off. Saying that is not racist in itself. Their food practices arguably did cause this pandemic,so yes they were a menace to everyone,again,not in itself a racist statement. Bit oversensitive there. I respect other cultures,but I respect public health more.

#28 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-05 09:19 AM | Reply

"It came from keeping live bats for consumption in close proximity to living pangolins,also for consumption."

Zero evidence of this.

#29 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-05 01:41 PM | Reply

Where did it come from? Do you know? Please share.

#30 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-05 02:13 PM | Reply

Nobody knows for sure where this came from. Which is why it's idiotic to make "It came from" statements like you did, without any evidence whatsoever.

#31 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-05 03:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So maybe it did come from nasty Chinese food practices after all,nobody knows right? How can you say it didn't if nobody knows? You want to be seen as some kind of Oracle on this but you're really just kind of full of ------.

#32 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-05 03:28 PM | Reply

#28 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER

It might be racist to make that claim without any evidence to back it up.

Unless, of course you have evidence or a link to said evidence to back up your assertion. Until then, you're full of ----.

#33 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-04-05 03:53 PM | Reply

#32 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER

Oh, so now it's "maybe"?

You're so full of ----.

#34 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-04-05 03:54 PM | Reply

It probably came from Florida. Pretty much everything bad in America comes from Florida. Directly or indirectly.

#35 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-04-05 04:20 PM | Reply

#34 I have read several articles saying that bats and pangolins are the known carriers of these viruses. Chinese wildlife markets in Wuhan carried both of these species as living animals for human consumption, I still don't really understand why saying this is likely the origin of this outbreak is racist. Can you tell me why it is? And if you're wrong and these practices actually are shown to BE the cause,why would that make saying they were, not racist any more. Can you explain,please?

#36 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-05 05:13 PM | Reply

"I still don't really understand why saying this is likely the origin of this outbreak is racist."

Willie Horton.

#37 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-05 05:15 PM | Reply

Can you explain,please?
#36 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER

Not until you link to your evidence that: "It came from keeping live bats for consumption in close proximity to living pangolins,also for consumption. So yes,it was nasty food markets that kicked this thing off."

You're suggesting that you know something factual that we do not as it specifically relates to the transmission of this coronavirus strain. Your words, not anyone else's. Are you backtracking to save face? If so, admit it and we can move on. You want the POTUS to be accountable for his words, you should be for yours.

#38 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-04-05 05:17 PM | Reply

I don't remember which site I read it on but I am quite sure that there is a body of knowledge that shows these type of viruses are endemic to bats with pangolins as intermediate carriers. The food markets in Wuhan are known places where these two types of animals are kept together in a close proximity for sale for human consumption.
I'm not trying to save face here. If I'm full of ------ then I am.
There is a body of information out there, look it up, try origins of coronavirus 19,Google for starters.
I still don't see what's racist ahout saying any of this anyway.

#39 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-05 05:30 PM | Reply

So what's your point, other than you're pretty sure you're not racist?

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-05 05:41 PM | Reply

My point is that this goes where it goes regardless of people's sensitivities about giving the facts,facts that may be upsetting or seen as racist or politically incorrect.The article was Science News March,17 2020. It is the first entry when you select _"origins of coronavirus 19" on Google. Happy reading. Get back to me to apologize after you do. I'll wait.

#41 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-05 05:52 PM | Reply

"My point is that this goes where it goes regardless of people's sensitivities about giving the facts"

What's "this?"

You mean the virus?

Because it only goes where people take it; nowhere else.

#42 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-05 05:56 PM | Reply

#41 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER

Bats' immune defenses may be why their viruses can be so deadly to people (Science News, March 17, 2020)

Scientists have pinpointed bats as potential sources of several viral outbreaks in humans. Insect-eating bats may have been the source of the 2014"16 Ebola outbreak in West Africa (SN: 12/31/14). Egyptian fruit bats (Rousettus aegyptiacus) harbor Marburg virus, a hemorrhagic virus related to Ebola. Other bat species are reservoirs of SARS-like coronaviruses, possibly including one that sparked an ongoing outbreak in China (SN: 1/24/20).
www.sciencenews.org

Led to this:

No, snakes probably aren't the source of that new coronavirus in China

For the new coronavirus " currently called 2019-nCoV " scientists don't yet know how humans contracted the disease. But a new study published January 22 in the Journal of Medical Virology suggests snakes might be the source. ...

"Coronaviruses are definitely in bats, and there's very probably a mammal intermediate host [for the new virus], but we haven't discovered that yet," Robertson says. "People shouldn't now start killing snakes " that would be an awful thing."

www.sciencenews.org

The term "possible" is used very carefully here, going against your assertion that not only is it probable, it is factual.

Again, you're full of ----.

#43 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-04-05 06:19 PM | Reply

Ok,it's not proven, point taken,"I'm a wiggly worm, and a wiggly worm is the lowest creature of the ocean depths". Happy now. But I'm still not a racist for giving possibly factual hypothesises about the virus origins.
Suck my ash.

#44 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-05 07:06 PM | Reply

#44 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER

I said you were full of ----, which you just owned up to.

I never called you a racist.

#45 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-04-05 07:08 PM | Reply

Fair enough,I apologize for telling you to suck my ash. I'm just trying to find the truth. Not prove I'm all knowing. Thanks for pushing the true limits of what is known, it's the only way to find the truth.

#46 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-05 07:12 PM | Reply

#46 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER

That's what I'm here for: drudge.com

#47 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-04-05 07:13 PM | Reply

These discussions about eating wild animals reminds me of when I was kid, and my dad hit a deer with his car. I think the police helped him load it into the back of his station wagon, and a few hours later I watched as a he and a friend cut and gutted it in our back yard. The next day he took it a local butcher shop to be processed into venison products, most of which I didn't really care much for the taste of, as I recall.

I'm sure in different states people eat more exotic roadkill, as well as stuff they hunt. Look up a dish called burgoo. Or check out rattlesnake stew.

Also, it's common in some places of North America to eat things like armadillo, which have been known to transmit leprosy if not prepared correctly.

#48 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-05 09:56 PM | Reply

People are disgusting. Still not racist. MF.

#49 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-05 10:07 PM | Reply

Cultural racism is still racism. The implications of saying "these people are a menace to everyone" are unambiguous. SP.

#50 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-05 10:37 PM | Reply

People with the same attitude as Sentinel will be responsible for next pandemic. Many more will die so a few can eat their bat and rat meat.

#51 | Posted by byrdman at 2020-04-05 10:45 PM | Reply

"But I'm still not a racist"

What is "Things Racists Say," Alex.

#52 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-05 10:59 PM | Reply

It's like you're any better, Snoof. You attack people wanting to preserve cultural symbols which were misappropriated during a relatively brief period of time by Western Europeans, even when they make it clear they 100% condemn the use of them in misappropriated contexts.

#53 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-05 11:20 PM | Reply

"It's like you're any better, Snoof."

Oh come on.
Better a Snoofy than a Swastika Rehabilitator.
Everybody knows that.

Not everybody knows Sentinel is a rank in the KKK, but you and I do.

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-05 11:34 PM | Reply

"Not everybody knows Sentinel is a rank in the KKK, but you and I do."

I didn't know that until you decided to share that useless piece of information with me. Unlike you, I'm not well versed in Ku_Klux_Klan_titles_and_vocabulary. But then again, I don't hang around sites like Storm Front, which you've admitted to. People who grew up in that culture probably wouldn't have a clue those words have meanings outside of those usages. That's how you're behaving right now, and it's how you've behaved numerous times on this site you've insulted various Asian and Indigenous cultures. Are you going to follow suit with the effete poser and claim you're not racist, or will you admit to it?

#55 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-06 12:25 AM | Reply

Dude, you see ---- that's just not there. Racism hiding under the bed. Get a life. Oh I forgot, nobody's got a life right now. I guess you're excused,carry on.

#56 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-06 01:28 AM | Reply

"That's how you're behaving right now, and it's how you've behaved numerous times on this site you've insulted various Asian and Indigenous cultures."

Funny you should say that, because I'm not the one blaming indigenous cultures and their wet markets for viruses that make it to the first world via first world modes of transport.

That would be you, Trump, EffetePoser, and all the rest of you Deplorables.

You guys must really think you're smart.

#57 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-06 02:10 AM | Reply

The only difference between you and posters like jeffj right now is that at least jeff knows when he's trolling. And your troll doesn't even make sense when everything prior to it in this thread flatly contradicts it. I'd say try harder, but it's clear at this point you've dug yourself into a hole you can't get out of. Just slink away like you usually do when you've been thoroughly called out for your hypocrisy and bigotry.

#58 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-06 03:11 AM | Reply

"You attack people wanting to preserve cultural symbols which were misappropriated during a relatively brief period of time by Western Europeans"

This is just so dumb.
That "relatively brief period of time" is from 1933 until now.

Just tell us that.

#59 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-06 03:48 AM | Reply

"This is just so dumb."

You not realizing you do the same thing effete poser was doing earlier in this thread is so dumb. You both want to completely eradicate cultural practices that make you uncomfortable and portray them as a "menace to everyone" based on very spurious reasoning.

"Please tell us why the people with Swastika flags at the Unite The Right rally chose Swastika flags.
Just tell us that."

My guess is they were most likely trolling, with a small number of them actually paying homage to a misappropriated source. Either way, it's no excuse for bigotry against numerous cultures who've been using the symbol innocuously for thousands of years. Your fear and paranoia over something you don't understand creates and environment that could lead to hate crimes, just like the people who blame "wet" markets for the current pandemic.

#60 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-06 12:07 PM | Reply

Just tell us that."

^
Your guess is trolling.

You are in desperate need of rehabilitation.

#61 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-06 02:20 PM | Reply

"Your fear and paranoia over something you don't understand"

Yeah.
Definitely trolling.

#62 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-06 02:21 PM | Reply

"You can't even bring yourself to say what a black Swastika in a white circle on a red background stands for."

I've said numerous times that's sufficient context to show it's an allusion to a misappropriated source. You're just plain lying.

"Yeah.
Definitely trolling"

Thanks for admitting it.

#63 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-06 02:42 PM | Reply

"I've said numerous times that's sufficient context to show it's an allusion to a misappropriated source."

It's not an allusion to a misappropriated source.
It's the flag of Germany from 1933 to 1945.
That government has a name.
You dare not speak it.

#64 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-06 03:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"It's not an allusion to a misappropriated source."

Yes it is. The N--- flag are other N--- uses of it are a misappropriation of the swastika symbol. Your claims that they aren't is a display of pure bigotry on your part.

#65 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-06 03:30 PM | Reply

"The N--- flag are other N--- uses of it are a misappropriation of the swastika symbol."

You picked a fine bunker to die in.

#66 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-06 03:44 PM | Reply

"Your claims that they aren't"

I'm not claiming what they aren't.
That's what you're doing.

I'm claiming what they are.
And what they are is proponents of the ideology that ruled Germany from 1933 to 1945.

#67 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-06 03:49 PM | Reply

Go back to storm front, you racist POS.

#68 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-06 03:50 PM | Reply

You.
You are a proponent of the ideology that ruled Germany from 1933 to 1945.
That's the image you're trying to rehabilitate.
You went so far as to suggest the people waving that flag were simply "trolling." Nothing to be taken seriously. Just some kids having fun.

#69 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-06 03:55 PM | Reply

Snoofy has admitted to being a storm front user.
Snoofy has a history of hounding the owners of web sites for allowing non-English text characters, leading to de facto English-only policies.
Snoofy clearly believes the ideology that ruled Germany from 1933 to 1945 has infinite dominion over time and space and deserves ownership of every cultural artifact they misused.
Snoofy is either too stupid or too dishonest admit what he's doing is no different than those who support Muslim bans and equating all Muslims with terrorists.

#70 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-06 04:09 PM | Reply

"No different than those who support Muslim bans and equating all Muslims with terrorists."

The Lady Doth Protest aside,
I merely believe those who wave the German flag of 1933-1945 do so in support of the ideology that ruled Germany at the time.

You, on the other hand, don't.
You don't believe their flag represents an ideology.
You say those people are "trolling, with a small number of them actually paying homage to a misappropriated source."

#71 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-06 04:49 PM | Reply

"You don't believe their flag represents an ideology."

You've been corrected on this a number of times, and you're just plain lying.

#72 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-06 05:59 PM | Reply

That is not correct either. It is not misappropriation.

Misappropriation is the intentional, illegal use of the property, ideas, or funds of another person for one's own use or other unauthorized purpose, especially by a public official, a trustee of a trust, an executor or administrator of a dead person's estate or by any person with a fiduciary duty to care for and

misappropriation
the action of misappropriating something; embezzlement.

You are feigning victim status under the guise of being a victim of cultural appropriation.

The only victim here is the truth.

You've decided to call that use of the symbol misappropriation, which suggests that symbol doesn't truly stand for the ideology that ruled Germany from 1933 to 1945.

But it does. And there's nothing ambiguous or inappropriate about recognizing that. There is, however, grave danger in pretending those who use that symbol in the milieu of the American political landscape stand for something else.

#73 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-06 06:15 PM | Reply

"But it does. And there's nothing ambiguous or inappropriate about recognizing that."

This is the root of your bigotry. Your insistence that all swastikas regardless of context are forever linked to N--- ideology and that they should be banned from Western society is exactly the same as those who insist all forms of Islam are linked to Islamic terrorism and that Islamic symbols should be banned from Western society. Your haranguing of me is just like those who harangued Obama for not using the phrase "Islamic terrorism".

You saying "there's nothing ambiguous or inappropriate about recognizing that" is just like another poster earlier in this thread saying "these people are a menace to everyone,and no I'm not racist."

#74 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-06 07:01 PM | Reply