Sunday, April 05, 2020

Wildlife Conservation Society: Nadia, a 4-year-old female Malayan tiger at the Bronx Zoo, has tested positive for COVID-19. She, her sister Azul, two Amur tigers, and three African lions had developed a dry cough and all are expected to recover. This positive COVID-19 test for the tiger was confirmed by USDA's National Veterinary Services Laboratory, based in Ames, Iowa. We tested the cat out of an abundance of caution and will ensure any knowledge we gain about COVID-19 will contribute to the world's continuing understanding of this novel coronavirus.

Comments

2020 is the weirdest timeline with Tiger King becoming a smash hit and COVID19 on the streets.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-04-05 08:30 PM | Reply

Kind of interesting how this virus jumped species so easily. I'm no virologist but this kind of species jump is a little unusual from what I can gather from the few NIH studies I could find. Probably a perfectly natural occurrence but I do love a good conspiracy theory :-)

#2 | Posted by Ilya_Koslov at 2020-04-05 11:44 PM | Reply

I blame Carole Baskins.

#3 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2020-04-05 11:46 PM | Reply

Sounds good, let's run with it!

#4 | Posted by Ilya_Koslov at 2020-04-06 12:11 AM | Reply

"Probably a perfectly natural occurrence but I do love a good conspiracy theory :-)"

You don't even need to have a conspiracy theory for something like this to be man-made. It been well-documented and out in the open that researchers have been experimenting on viruses and germs to make them more contagious. Funding for this was banned under the Obama administration, but reinstated after Trump took office. drudge.com

#5 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-04-06 01:09 AM | Reply

You just know the Tiger King crept in to the tiger pit the same way Trumps mother crept into the monkey house.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2020-04-06 01:54 AM | Reply

A weem o way
A weem o way
A weem o way
A choo

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-06 01:58 AM | Reply

I bet that Tiger is in
a (wait for it)....------ mood...

#8 | Posted by earthmuse at 2020-04-06 09:07 AM | Reply

#2 | Posted by Ilya_Koslov

It is relatively rare diseases jump hosts like this. It seems likely it started with a bat version of the virus and jumped to Humans. They found it in a couple dogs that I know of. So Tigers, why am I not surprised? I'm actually surprised they were able to get them tested however.

#9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-04-06 11:05 AM | Reply