Thursday, April 09, 2020

Dylan has placed on a Billboard chart before. His iconic "Like a Rolling Stone" hit No. 2 on the genre-encompassing Billboard Hot 100 back in September 1965, as did "Rainy Day Women #12 and 35" in May 1966. But he's never reached No. 1 on any individual genre chart until now.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Billboard also noted that Dylan flirted with some chart-topping success when three of his songs with The Traveling Wilburys ("Handle With Care," "End of the Line" and "She's My Baby), all reached No. 2 on the Mainstream Rock Songs charts back in the 1980s and '90s. His songs also reached No. 1 on the Adult Contemporary chart with Peter Paul & Mary's "Blowin' in the Wind" cover and The Byrds' version of "Mr. Tambourine Man" topping the Hot 100 back in June 1965.

Comments

This explains why a roommate was apparently listening in celebration to a Bob Dylan concert yesterday.

#1 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-04-09 03:17 PM | Reply

www.azlyrics.com

Video with lyrics

www.youtube.com

Glad he recited this one. Much as I grew up with and loved Bob Dylan, he lost his voice a long time ago. This song is manageable.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2020-04-09 03:43 PM | Reply

Lee has this up with Comments already

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2020-04-09 04:21 PM | Reply

I thought I was depressed, then I listened to that song. Too much there to digest inone listen but I just can't listen again right now.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2020-04-09 04:32 PM | Reply

Dealey Plaza Cam

#5 | Posted by LesWit at 2020-04-09 05:21 PM | Reply

I've always been a Bob Dylan fan. It's like being a Willie fan - the poetry means more than the vocals and instruments but this is good. I like it.

#6 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-04-09 09:30 PM | Reply

Yea ok.

#7 | Posted by fresno500 at 2020-04-09 10:27 PM | Reply

"The Day the Music Died" still resonates with me. That day in Dallas changed much about our country. It still saddens me to this day.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2020-04-10 02:36 AM | Reply

This is completely unlistenable. If I want poetry, I read. Putting 17 minutes of boring music coupled to a voice like a cheese grater only makes good poetry bad.
I guess that's why I never got Leonard Cohen either.

#9 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-04-10 12:07 PM | Reply

Bob Dylan is an overrated hack. His voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. His music boring tripe. He should have retired like,decades ago.

#10 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-10 02:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Yea ok.

#7 | POSTED BY FRESNO500 AT

?

#11 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-04-10 06:01 PM | Reply

I guess that's why I never got Leonard Cohen either.

#9 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST AT 2020-04-10 12:07 PM | REPLY |

It's like raw oysters, they aint for everybody.

#12 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-04-10 06:02 PM | Reply

I haven't heard it.

This is a great work of art.

The way I can tell that is from the strong emotions, both positive and negative, it has elicited.

Thanks for reading and, for some of you, actually understanding.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-10 06:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Mein Kampf,Elicited strong emotions both positive and negative, is it great art?

#14 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-10 06:22 PM | Reply

I see you're still intent on being an ass.

No, Mein Kampf is only spoken of today because the author is famous for other reasons.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-10 06:26 PM | Reply

Touche'

#16 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-10 06:32 PM | Reply

I can understand not being a fan, but Bob Dylan has a Nobel Prize, so this song going to #1 actually trolls the hell out of the President.

I expect Trump will want his revenge, I'm not sure what shape it will take, but I'm expecting it will be an attack on the arts.

Attacking the arts would be, pardon the pun, par for the course.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-10 06:35 PM | Reply

Why did that hack get a Nobel? For what? Having the Worst singing voice in human history? Sucker can't even stay in tune. Makes everyone look good as a singer by comparison.

#18 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-10 06:45 PM | Reply

Turns out it was for literature.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-10 06:46 PM | Reply

That's right, literature.

You've probably never heard of it.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-10 06:47 PM | Reply

If that's "literature" you're right, I never have.

#21 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-10 07:08 PM | Reply

If that's "literature" you're right, I never have.

#21 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER AT 2020-04-10 07:08 PM |

It is.

#22 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-04-10 08:15 PM | Reply

In one way this song reminds me of Billy Joel's "We didn't start the fire" in that a whole lot of history has gone into its making. A whole lot of 60s and 70s musical history for one thing, blended in with the political history of JFK's assassination. Someone should turn the lyrics into hypertext in order to connect them with the plethora of songs and other cultural references Dylan incorporates into "Murder Most Foul".

#23 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-04-10 10:32 PM | Reply

"Murder Most Foul" and the Haunting of America

Bob Dylan's epic new song isn't just about the assassination of JFK. It's about how an event takes on meaning beyond itself, and the role of spirit in the national life.

There is nothing nostalgic about Dylan's journey through American music. He is clear-eyed about the triumphs and follies of the directionless generation that came of age after Kennedy. He evokes the foolishness of the Age of Aquarius, the silliness of Woodstock, the tragedies of Altamont and Kent State, Beatlemania. His narrative persona assumes, at one point, the place of self-indulgent Boomers, and at one level the song is a rewriting of Don MacLean's "American Pie." But Dylan is deeper and more imaginative.

thereader.mitpress.mit.edu

#24 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-04-10 10:48 PM | Reply

I was a junior in high school, dozing in American History class, when the room's loudspeaker came to life announcing that President Kennedy had been shot. Soon after, it was announced he had died. We were all sent home after that. Shortly thereafter hippies were discovered. Coincidence? I think not!

#25 | Posted by john47 at 2020-04-11 12:32 AM | Reply