Monday, April 27, 2020

In its opinion filed April 9, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit greenlighted a mix of privacy claims levied against Facebook in In Re Facebook, Inc. Internet Tracking Litigation, reversing the lower court's decision to dismiss the case.

Comments

Cool.

Now they need to go after Google.

#1 | Posted by sawdust at 2020-04-27 07:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Why? Does Google track your use of other apps?

#2 | Posted by bored at 2020-04-27 09:55 PM | Reply

@#2

There is a difference between how google tracks you and how facebook tracks you.

It is a bit of a minor difference, but the result seems to be similar.

Both google and facebook seem to build a so-called "shadow profile" of you which they sell to advertisers without your consent.

At a minimum, you should be sent money by facebook and google (et al?) for the use of your data.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-04-27 10:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Facebook Container extension for Firefox shuts down a lot of its tracking.

#4 | Posted by LesWit at 2020-04-27 10:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You can get Chrome extensions to block Facebook Pixel as well. Facebook Pixel is better at tracking users than Google Analytics, but both can be defeated if you try.

#5 | Posted by bored at 2020-04-28 02:31 AM | Reply

#5 | Posted by bored

If you are using Chrome - what's the difference really? I mean you can eliminate Facebook but Google... I use tools like Ghostery and NoScript as well but most sites break of course so it is pick your poison.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-04-28 10:31 AM | Reply

Google analytics uses cookies to track users and doesn't consolidate your actions across devices like pixel does. You can block cookies but as you say that can break sites.

#7 | Posted by bored at 2020-04-28 10:38 AM | Reply

A court might think that tracking people after they log out isn't covered by the waiver, but anyone who is surprised to learn that facebook is selling their data is willfully ignorant.

#8 | Posted by JOE at 2020-04-28 10:39 AM | Reply

There have been a few calls for big data companies to pay their users for the use of their data. I'm not against this, but any system that uses your web browsing and ad views to kick back some cash for views could 1. Cause much more intrusive tracking across the web, and 2. be loaded with potential fraud.

Someone could easily write a script that clicks around the web all day long as a way to game the system and earn undeserved cash.

#9 | Posted by ND_Perspective at 2020-04-28 11:12 AM | Reply

acebook Container extension for Firefox shuts down a lot of its tracking.

#4 | POSTED BY LESWIT

Deleting your Fake Book account works even better.

I prefer not being Zucked at all.

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-04-28 11:35 AM | Reply

@#8 ... Pretty sure anyone using applications like facebook agrees to terms and conditions related to the use of their data. ...

That only applies if you sign up for a Facebook account.

The shadow accounts I was talking about are built by Facebook without you signing up for Facebook or agreeing to anything with Facebook.

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-04-28 12:13 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by bored

Correct - break cookies and scripts = break sites. Any device you are being tracked - Windows OS, Android, IOS, ChromeOS, etc. But what I was referring to is the Chrome Browser (that MS is now switching to and eliminating Edge btw.)

Google analytics DOES consolidate your actions across devices if you log into any google service. I have had actions follow me across devices even after I had logged out of Google and performed them. I refuse Google trackers whenever possible too. I have started to really like DuckDuckGo too. I am on the edge of using a VPN for all surfing etc. It just creeps me out how things follow me around.

#12 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-04-28 06:12 PM | Reply