Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) on Sunday characterized his state as "God's waiting room" for seniors during an update on COVID-19. "Florida is ground zero for the nursing home; I mean we're God's waiting room," DeSantis said at a news briefing in Orlando. ... "God's waiting room" is a decades-old derogatory phrase about the large number of retirees in the state, noted WPLG Local 10 TV. DeSantis commented on Florida's vulnerable nursing home population while discussing plans to reopen the state for business.

Comments

There will be free lemonade at the organists tent.

#1 | Posted by LesWit at 2020-04-28 11:05 PM | Reply

He should give credit to Patton Oswald (at least lately) for that one.

#2 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-04-28 11:10 PM | Reply

Not everything is God's doing:

Florida has more than 800,000 uninsured adults who could be covered if the state expanded Medicaid up to 138 percent of the federal poverty level, as 36 other states and the District of Columbia did following the passage of the Affordable Care Act.

www.orlandosentinel.com

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-04-28 11:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Mel Torme was quoted in a news article once in a Sarasota paper, an article that was picked up by the Naples Daily News, saying that it wasn't true that all the old people lived in Naples. He said that all the old people lived in Sarasota, their parents lived in Naples. There is no record of him ever being invited back to Naples.

Of course, DeSantis is the guy that designated the WWE wrestling an "essential business" in Florida. The worse part is he may be correct. Losing wrestling would be like taking away the guns, beer, and Rebel flags off the back of pickups from people in the northern part of the stat.e and making them wear motorcycle helmets.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2020-04-28 11:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I was deployed to Homestead AFB in July in the 80's. It's not Gods waiting room, it's the other place.

#5 | Posted by willowby at 2020-04-28 11:43 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I don't recall hearing this phrase before. At first blush it doesn't really seem offensive, but I'm not from or anywhere near Florida, so maybe there's more going on than I know about.

"God's waiting room" is a decades-old derogatory phrase"
If you click through that in HuffPo you get to the local Florida news,
"The term is a decades-old joke about the amount of retirees that move to Florida; it isn't complimentary."
I'm leaning more towards "isn't complimentary" than "derogatory."
I feel like they're trying to make a Cat 3 out of a tropical depression.
It's not nearly as bad as Trump forecasting the hurricane to hit Alabama; I mean, it's huffpo, they're gonna slant it left, but my attitude towards what they're doing here; it isn't complimentary.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-29 01:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Everyone calls it that.

#7 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-04-29 06:42 AM | Reply

Years ago it was Hallandale, FL. Talk show host Neil Rogers a war with those people who were for the most part very old in those days. And he used the same joke, the Hallandale folks were old but their parents lived in Ft. Myers or Naples.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2020-04-29 08:09 AM | Reply

All jokes aside though, DeSantis was totally negligent in his refusal to close the beaches during the Spring Break parties. Beaches were crowded with irresponsible young people drinking and partying. People have already or will soon die because of his unwillingness to use common sense.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2020-04-29 08:35 AM | Reply

As far as I can tell, old folks hate waiting for anything. Why not just have them drink some bleach and get it over with?

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-04-29 09:01 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

De Santis is reducing the wait time.

#11 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-04-29 10:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

In the Old Testament, all the weirdest and strangest events occurred in The Holy Land. My theory is that currently the people of Florida are God's Chosen People. Pensacola is the Land of Milk and Honey.

#12 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-04-29 11:36 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Anecdotally, I've discovered that Boomers and above are seriously lacking in a sense of humor.

I find the "God's waiting room" joke to be hilarious. And being from the North, I heard it for the first time here.

#13 | Posted by ND_Perspective at 2020-04-29 11:50 AM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY WILLOWBY

It must suck to suck.

I was deployed to Tyndall AFB.

It was a small slice of heaven.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-04-29 02:33 PM | Reply

Also went to Tyndall and Shaw up the coast. I was with VMFP-3. You?

#15 | Posted by willowby at 2020-04-29 10:19 PM | Reply

"It was a small slice of heaven."

Being based at El Toro, I enjoyed the whole loaf.

#16 | Posted by willowby at 2020-04-29 10:36 PM | Reply

Being based at El Toro, I enjoyed the whole loaf.

#16 | POSTED BY WILLOWBY

That is insane. Small world. That is where I was based. 1975. VMFA-314. Black Knights.

Florida was a nice change. I loved the heat and the white beaches and they have dolphins there. And these huge strip clubs in every corner it seemed.

Yep. All expenses paid trip to flipper's beach. Or should I say strippers beach. It was fun.

But El Toro was a great assignment too. Right next to Laguna Beach. Did you know they call it Hell Toro now because it was so contaminated?

#17 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-04-29 11:03 PM | Reply

#17 I was there from 76-83. The only base that had my MOS, except for three WESTPACs. Permanently attached to H&MS-11. Spent my last year at NAMTRADETs on the other side of the base as an instructor. I usually went to the wedge at Newport beach to body surf. I was in Homestead in July. Hated the humidity. I live in AZ now, so it wasn't the heat. Not surprised it's polluted Probably all the air bases that were shutdown are. Semper Fi.

#18 | Posted by willowby at 2020-04-29 11:27 PM | Reply

What did you teach willowby? I was there as an avionics (Comm/Nav) tech on the F4 phantoms.

I was actually there in 76-79. We probably crossed paths. You may have even heard of me. I was the guy who sued for the chow halls. They were not meeting their own standards as a class A dining facility. They refused ya seconds on mid rats. I lost it and requested mast to a two star general.

That fixed the chow halls. Apparently there was a group stealing food and selling it. We broke a crime ring. Naturally I ended up in the pot shack for causing so much trouble. Set the stage for my career as a trouble maker.

When I was done the milk never ran out and they even had chocolate milk! No one was refused seconds. (Unless they were too fat!)They our table cloth and flowers on the tables and we even got steak on holidays like the Air Force. When I left Marines could all get seconds if they were still hungry.

Now that was a Mission Accomplished.

Semper Fi

#19 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-04-30 01:58 PM | Reply

His being so tasteless while Governor is bad his implying he doesn't care if an 1/8 of his state dies is alarming af.

#20 | Posted by Tor at 2020-04-30 02:07 PM | Reply

I taught IM avionics. Air data annotation system, viewfinder and cameras. Work center 682 at H&MS-11. Ah, the pot shack. That's where everybody on mess duty went to get stoned because of all the steam.

#21 | Posted by willowby at 2020-04-30 02:35 PM | Reply