Wednesday, April 29, 2020

As the number of Americans who have died from complications arising from COVID-19 continues to climb, President Trump has relished spinning the nation's struggle to contain the virus as a "war" against an "invisible enemy." The same language has long been used to describe America's ill-fated involvement in the Vietnam War, which on Tuesday became the deadlier of the two tragedies, at least as far as American lives are concerned.

Comments

Just let it burn through, like we did Vietnam.

#1 | Posted by Zed at 2020-04-29 12:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sixty-thousand American COVID deaths as of this day.

And so we pass the first goal post Donald Trump set for himself as being a "good job".

But not to worry, He also set up a back-up goal post of 100,000 dead if 60,000 wouldn't do.

Meanwhile, Grand Trump Re-Opening Festival in D.C. by July 4th.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2020-04-29 12:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It's their fault for dying, they should have stayed at home.

Nobody made them go outside. Freedom!

Signed,
Republicans.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-29 04:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Winning,it's just too much,WINNING. I'm so sick of all the WINNING. 60,000 WINS, only 2,000,000 more to go!!

Trump is the WINNINGEST man ALIVE!!

#4 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-04-29 08:38 PM | Reply

60,000 in how many months?

The death toll has often been compared by the Trump apologists on Fox News as being less than the number of deaths due to auto accidents.

Now, how do those Fox News deflection comparisons look?

Americans are dying from this.

This is not the political issue that Fox News makes it out to be.

This is a health issue.

Americans are dying on their home soil.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-04-29 09:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Heckuvajob, punkinhead, and we're not even close to done.

#6 | Posted by contrecoup at 2020-04-29 09:32 PM | Reply

Disclaimer: The premise that the two can validly be compared is ridiculous. Now to the comparison:

In the United States:
~108 people a day die from automobile accidents (average).
We currently are averaging ~2,000 deaths a day from COVID-19 (past 8 days).
ourworldindata.org

This past year (12 months of 2019) 38,800 people died in automobile accidents.
In the past month 59,170 have died from COVID-19..

#7 | Posted by YAV at 2020-04-29 10:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

@#7 ... The premise that the two can validly be compared is ridiculous. ...

I agree.

I was not the one doing the original comparison. (I say that because I do not want to be tagged for the Fox News idiocy on this topic that I've seen.)

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-04-29 10:25 PM | Reply

I knew that - I didn't want to be tagged with it either!
(but it was fun destroying the stupid argument)

#9 | Posted by YAV at 2020-04-29 11:10 PM | Reply

"So, I have to ask, how many people have died from auto accidents since the beginning of this year? Or in a full year?"

Did you try asking Google, or was this supposed to be a softball teed up for someone?
Nevermind, I see Yav took a swing.

"This is not the political issue that Fox News makes it out to be.
This is a health issue.
Americans are dying on their home soil."

Americans dying on their home soil from preventable, non-accident causes is practically the definition of a political issue.
For example, the Second Amendment, or not having national health care.
Those are political choices, and they carry the consequence of Americans dying on their home soil.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-04-30 12:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

WE'RE #1!!! WE'RE #1!!! RAH RAH TRUMP!!

- The right wing sycophants who thought it scandalous for Obama to wear a tan suit.

#11 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-04-30 08:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#12 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-04-30 08:01 AM | Reply

I'm one of those Viet-vets, and if I get to the other side of the COVID-19 pandemic, I'll have survived TWO, count 'em, TWO political clusterfxxks in my life!

#13 | Posted by john47 at 2020-04-30 11:18 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'll have survived TWO, count 'em, TWO political clusterfxxks in my life!

#13 | POSTED BY JOHN47

Don't get too excited. It's a pandemic. You haven't survived it yet.

Have you already gotten the virus and survived it?

If not your time is coming. Almost everyone will get it eventually. If we do not get a vaccine.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-04-30 12:32 PM | Reply