Saturday, May 02, 2020

Emerging data suggests that though people dramatically altered their habits around staying at home during the first month of America's response to the pandemic, that cooperation has since leveled off and -- eventually -- decreased. This could point to long-term challenges for state governments asking citizens to cooperate with extended stay-at-home policies. The data, provided to NPR by a mobile phone location data company called SafeGraph, is based on the locations of approximately 18 million mobile phones across the country.

Comments

One aspect that needs to be noted... the parts of the Country that were hit earlier seem to be on the downside of the infections curve. While some other parts of the Country that have just started to be hit are on the parabolic increasing part of the curve.

Look at the stories about the meat-packing plants and the surrounding areas of those plants. They look to be on the point of the curve that New York was a month ago.

When you're looking at how people are reacting to this virus, you also need to look at the geography involved.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-02 08:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Filthy government overreach. Nazification of public health. If I wanna get sick, of if I wanna make others around me sick, it's my right. The founding fathers didn't give a damn about no invisible bugs.

#2 | Posted by contrecoup at 2020-05-02 08:58 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

@#2 ... if I wanna make others around me sick, it's my right ...

Please explain the origin of your right to harm intentionally those around you.

thx.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-02 09:09 PM | Reply

Please explain the origin of your right to harm intentionally those around you.

Well "Freedom", obviously.

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2020-05-02 09:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

@#4 ... Well "Freedom", obviously. ...

Well "Freedom" doesn't cut it for me.

Where is that "freedom" allowed.

I would like to see a citation of the source of that freedom.

And for the record, before I am labeled differently, I am not against Freedom.

I am, however, quite opposed to the use of "freedom" as a pass to propagate inanity.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-02 10:06 PM | Reply

The founding fathers didn't give a damn about no invisible bugs.

I'd bet they did.

The Long History of Coercive Health Responses in American Law

The earliest recorded quarantines in the colonies were against smallpox, dating back at least to the 1620s. The first formal quarantine law enacted by one of the American colonies followed in 1647, in Massachusetts. By the early 18th century, Massachusetts added a law permitting local authorities to isolate ill people in separate houses.

After independence, coastal states commonly enacted quarantine laws requiring ships' crews and passengers to remain aboard for a specified period before disembarking. In 1855, Louisiana authorized the Board of Health to establish a quarantine station 75 miles downriver from New Orleans, inspect incoming ships there and quarantine incoming passengers there as necessary.

#6 | Posted by et_al at 2020-05-02 10:27 PM | Reply

My right to freedumb is sacrosanct. Damn it,I'm gonna go get me a massage and a lapdance tomorrow, I don't care who it kills.

#7 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-03 01:32 AM | Reply

Seriously,

With so many people turned loose now, I'm going double down on my right to protect my freedom from their freedom.

If nobody minds.

#8 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-03 03:10 AM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY CONTRECOUP

Never stopped at a stop sign in his life.

#9 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2020-05-03 06:41 PM | Reply

pretty evident by this (at least in my eyes),
that the youth of today in America, "don't
give a --- about old people". Hmmm...
the "Lamest Generation?"