Monday, May 04, 2020

Tim Bray, a well known senior engineer and Vice President at Amazon has "quit in dismay" because Amazon has been "firing whistleblowers who were making noise about warehouse employees frightened of Covid-19." In an open letter on his website, Bray, who has worked at the company for nearly six years, called the company "chicken---" for firing and disparaging employees who have organized protests. He also said the firings are "designed to create a climate of fear."

Comments

I love poison!
-Pence

#1 | Posted by bored at 2020-05-04 12:53 PM | Reply

I hope Amazon allows returns to a simpler time.

#2 | Posted by LesWit at 2020-05-04 04:55 PM | Reply

Unless the company can pull a Papa John's that doesn't seem likely.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2020-05-04 05:18 PM | Reply

Yeah, it looks like Amazon has turned evil, not only towards their employees, but with what they are doing with Ring.

btw, if you read the VP's online letter (link in summary), he said the AWS division where he worked had a better approach towards employees, and he gave the reason why.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-04 05:30 PM | Reply

Amazon was always evil. Jeff Bezos is scum.
They should never have been allowed to get as big as they have.
Anti trust enforcement is a joke in this country and Amazon took full advantage of that and huge tax breaks.
They don't care about anything but enriching themselves,meaning management, and shareholders,who I'm sure they would screw too, if they could safely. Bezos is truly a malign person.

#5 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-04 08:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I now an employee of Whole Foods which is owned by Amazon. She complained about the lack of masks and was punished for it. Now she has to go in at 5:00 a.m. because her manager wanted to make the rest of the employees understand that they should not demand anything to keep them safe. I will cancel my Prime subscription tonight. F**k Bezos.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-05 10:39 AM | Reply

"I now" = I know

#7 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-05 10:40 AM | Reply

As of May 1st Amazon stopped paying the $2 per hour incentive to existing employees and has stopped unlimited time off. Covid seems to work in waves of inflammation, meaning even one day out of the week you might feel extremely ill and unable to work. Amazon has now put its employees in positions of forced labor throughout a pandemic. There is no thought to families or the world outside being impacted by this decision because they are hiring hundreds of new employees every week replacing those whom in the governor's determination are "voluntarily quitting". So, stay healthy enough to work, just until you're dead.

It is my belief that all warehouses are impacted similarly, Amazon and FedEx are literally neighbors out in Troutdale. I'm curious what the differences are in absence policy are at this moment.

I still haven't gotten the stimulus check, all of my other mail is redirected appropriately.

I can't express how exasperating this dictation software reacts. Male instead of mail, 4 rather than for.. however stimulus male does sound intriguing.

#8 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-05-05 04:39 PM | Reply