Wednesday, May 06, 2020

The New York Times faces backlash from Readers as they look at the Tara Reade allegations from many angles: #MeToo, hypocrisy, pantyhose and politics. The one consistent thread is that President Trump must be defeated regardless of whether these allegations are true.

Comments

Interesting read, but the letter from one of the founders of Politico was the most shocking to me from an obvious bias standpoint.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-05-06 02:34 PM | Reply

"President Trump must be defeated regardless of whether these allegations are true."

Do you have a problem with
"President Trump must be defeated?"

Do the allegations change that for you?

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-06 02:37 PM | Reply

Publishing a dozen stories about Reade's dubious allegation while publishing none in the same timeframe about Trump's 20-plus accusers is going to set people off.

Martin Tolchin is 91 years old. He's speaking as a private citizen as someone out of journalism for a long time.

#3 | Posted by rcade at 2020-05-06 02:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Trump is serial sexual offender that has bragged about his assaults on women.

Trump should resign.

Team Trump has been trying to fabricate smears against Biden for two years. Any accusation against Biden must be considered within the context of a well funded fascist cult making up lies to raise doubts about Biden.

Trump bribes people to lie for him. He was impeached for that.

#4 | Posted by bored at 2020-05-06 03:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Not at all. Does that still make me a sociopath?

#5 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-05-06 04:28 PM | Reply

Back on topic, this one seemed to best sum up where most Democrats I know are on this issue:

"I am a retired attorney and a survivor of multiple #MeToo experiences over my 66 years, including a violent rape. I loathe hypocrisy and try to avoid it and those who practice it. I disagree with nearly everything our current president does or says. I fear for the future because of the irreparable harm he has done to the country.

I learned early in my career that the practice of law, and life in general, is a series of bad choices, particularly in bad times. The trick is to select the least awful option. I'm voting for Joe Biden for multiple reasons having nothing to do with his or President Trump's alleged conduct with women. That Rubicon has been crossed.

We cannot survive as a democratic society with Mr. Trump in office for four more years. The need to get him out of office overrules every scruple we may have. I will live with my hypocrisy and believe that tens of millions of Americans will feel the same."

#6 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2020-05-06 05:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I just saw Trump's numbers were up again. He will not be easily defeated. A lot of righties I know don't care that he possibly raped women. They think women should keep quiet because the me too movement is garbage.

#7 | Posted by byrdman at 2020-05-06 05:57 PM | Reply

I just saw Trump's numbers were up again. He will not be easily defeated.

#7 | Posted by byrdman

Trump is still about six points underwater, overall. But you're entirely right. No one should ever think that a desperate sociopath at the head of a quasi-religious cult will be easily defeated.

Time for all good men and women to show a bit of steel.

#8 | Posted by Zed at 2020-05-06 06:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Biden's too weak to win. Get a better candidate. Brokered convention. Please. Or the Abyss.

#9 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-06 08:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The GOP is pro rape, unless the guy is black.

The GOP also pays people to lie about dems.

Trump got impeached for trying to bride a country to smear Biden.

#10 | Posted by bored at 2020-05-06 09:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Bernie raped me, cancel him.

#11 | Posted by bored at 2020-05-06 09:21 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY EFFETEPOSER

You supported Bernie.

Not sure I trust your judgement. For multiple reasons.

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2020-05-07 12:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Biden's too weak to win. Get a better candidate. Brokered convention. Please.

A brokered convention would mean a loss in November.

Dumping the all-but-official nominee and putting someone else in his place would mean a loss in November.

The Democrats held a primary and Biden did so well all other candidates dropped out by April. The voters who chose Biden aren't going to accept him being replaced because people who didn't vote for him want somebody else.

I wish some Democrats would stop relitigating the primary after it's over. That happened in 2016 and look how it turned out.

#13 | Posted by rcade at 2020-05-07 11:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I wish the DNC WOULD STOP TELLING US WHO THE CANDIDATES ARE. They cheat every fricking time.

#14 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-07 11:50 AM | Reply

Biden didn't win because of cheating. He won because more people voted for him.

People forget that Sanders worked with the DNC after 2016 and got reforms enacted. The organization wasn't anti-Bernie. He was a powerful player in the party after 2016.

#15 | Posted by rcade at 2020-05-07 12:58 PM | Reply

All that may be true but they have been caught cheating in the past and trust is gone. The damage is already done I'm afraid.
Most Bernie supporters are lukewarm at best about Biden. I Can't stand him but am coming to see that even he is better than the tender mercies of the GOP.

I don't want to,but probably will, vote Biden. Yuck.

#16 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-07 01:16 PM | Reply

Bernie will be a major player in Congress if Biden wins, particularly if Democrats take the Senate.

#17 | Posted by rcade at 2020-05-07 04:45 PM | Reply

I'll believe that when it happens. The mainstream Dems are not likely to give Bernie much, if anything, if they win. They hate his politics. They put up with him and his voters but don't like or respect them and it shows. If they didn't need his followers to get behind their guy to win they would treat them with withering contempt.
Oops, they already do,my bad.

#18 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-07 05:01 PM | Reply

Biden and Bernie have been on friendly terms for decades. That's one of the reasons Bernie dropped out more quickly than he did in 2016.

Moderate Democrats don't hate liberal Democrats. The party is a big tent.

#19 | Posted by rcade at 2020-05-07 05:35 PM | Reply

Why are so many posters here so crappy about Bernie if that's the case? They may be more open to other viewpoints, but some people seem awfully quick to question other people's motives.

#20 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-07 06:04 PM | Reply

Maybe because you speak in conspiracy theories. People voted and you should respect that. Everyone had a fair chance.

#21 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-05-07 06:29 PM | Reply

Did they? Why did Klobo, Buttigieg,Warren, all drop out at once,huh. Did they all lose their ambitions to become president at once because of Joe Biden's amazing win?
No, they were "convinced" to drop out so Bernie could be sandbagged more easily.

Bernie never should have dropped out. He should have made Joe earn it all. That would have produced the stronger candidate going forward.

Don't you think?

#22 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-07 06:56 PM | Reply

Why did Klobo, Buttigieg,Warren, all drop out at once

#22 | Posted by Effeteposer

The way I remember it, they weren't doing all that well.

#23 | Posted by Zed at 2020-05-07 07:00 PM | Reply

Maybe so. Maybe I am being unreasonable. But even paranoids have enemies.

#24 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-07 07:45 PM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY RCADE

Anyone who does not support Biden at this time with everything they have is a fool. And they will deserve what they will get if Biden loses. But the rest of us don't deserve it but elections matter folks. Especially this one. America better wake up and kick this corrupt criminal creep to the curb so he can be prosecuted before it's too late.

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-05-07 11:59 PM | Reply

Biden and Bloomberg were probably the 2 candidates to give Trump the best shot at reelection. I'm still just not sure that picking an ancient, demented old creeper was a well thought out strategy on the part of Democrat primary voters, especially when they had so many viable alternatives.

#26 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2020-05-08 01:30 PM | Reply

Biden is hopelessly out matched by Trump. I don't like saying this. I really don't like believing this, but the truth is not always pretty.

Americans are simple. No discipline,no community spirit. We are easily incited to behave like fools.

Biden is just not up to this. Please somebody get a grip on this and help find a better candidate.

It doesn't have to be Bernie, Cuomo, Bloomberg.
But for God's sake somebody. Not Hillary,that would be even worse than Biden,with her we could lose the house too.

Maybe Americans want a dictatorship and mass death. It sure seems like it to me.

The Dems are too soft and unfocused to win.

#27 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-08 01:50 PM | Reply