Saturday, May 09, 2020

During an interview on "Fox and Friends," Trump explained why he chose not to go on a firing spree amid Special Counsel Robert Mueller's Russia investigation a la Nixon's Saturday Night Massacre during the Watergate scandal. "I learned a lot from Richard Nixon: Don't fire people," the President said. "I learned a lot. I study history, and the firing of everybody ... .I should've, in one way," he continued. "But I'm glad I didn't because look at the way it turned out."

Comments

However, Trump stood by his decision to fire former FBI Director James Comey, saying that the ouster was "very good thing."

And for all he claims to have learned from Nixon, Trump himself was impeached last December over two of the same charges as the 37th president: Obstruction and abuse of power.

But he insisted on Friday that there was "one big difference" between Nixon and himself.

"I did nothing wrong and there are no tapes," Trump said.

Has Trump (or anyone defending him) ever tried to make a case for his alleged innocence by offering actual counterfactuals to the evidence presented against him without impugning the character and motives of those investigating or prosecuting the case?

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-08 04:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

^No

#2 | Posted by e1g1 at 2020-05-09 08:53 AM | Reply

I don't think this dude could breathe the truth, much less say it.

#3 | Posted by madscientist at 2020-05-09 08:55 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Nixon knew to get along with his FBI director.

Nixon knew how to get along with China.

Nixon knew that the Soviet Union was a threat and needed to be broken.

Once again, when it comes to learning Trump is a C student...

#4 | Posted by catdog at 2020-05-09 09:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

yeah... like how to leave office in disgrace.

#5 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-05-09 09:57 AM | Reply

Nixon was a crook and a liar and Donald Trump thinks he was a hero. Explains much about Trump.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-09 10:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Know something about Nixon. He blew up the Paris peace talks which was discussed on a recording between President Johnson and Everett Dirkson, during which they both agreed it was treason. Subsequently Nixon lied to America about his secret plan to end the Vietnam War. 25,000 more American soldiers died after his reelection. Gerald Ford, after Nixon's resignationa and total disgrace, finally ended that war by deserting our allies and leaving them to be butchered by the Viet Cong. There was nothing honorable about Nixon. Nixon, Reagan, Bush 1, Bush 2, and now Trump are all teasonous scum. The Republican Party is the source of such evil and should be driven out of existence as the Nazi Party was in Germany.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-09 12:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I hope he learns how to resign in disgrace, like Nixon.

#8 | Posted by kudzu at 2020-05-09 12:37 PM | Reply

No it was Roger Ailes who learned a lot from Nixon. If not for Faux Spews Drumpf would not be POTUS, and he might have even been removed from office during impeachment. Faux is the prime reason this country is so polarized and Republiclowns can claim their own, "alternative facts."

#9 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2020-05-09 02:38 PM | Reply

Wasn't fmr Pres Nixon the one who opened China for the US companies to exploit?

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-05-09 05:52 PM | Reply

#11 Yes it was. Nixon was the one who got the ball rolling out what used to be called outsourcing, and is now called globalization.

Starting in the 80s, people like "Neutron" Jack Welch moved entire manufacturing operations to China in search of cheap labor, while GOP/ALEC Right To Work laws make it impossible for Unions to fight back.

And now Republicans are trying to pretend they haven't had their profit-seeking tongues rooting around Chairman Mao's sphincter for forty years.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-09 06:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I learned a lot from the Three Stooges:
1. Use eye protection.
2. Handle a vase with care.
3. Don't let idiots lead you by the nose.

#12 | Posted by LesWit at 2020-05-09 08:05 PM | Reply

I learned a lot from the Three Stooges:
1. Use eye protection.
2. Handle a vase with care.
3. Don't let idiots lead you by the nose.
#12 | Posted by LesWit

4. If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed.
5. That I need reminders to kill you later.

#13 | Posted by truthhurts at 2020-05-09 08:17 PM | Reply

Trump: "I learned a lot from Richard Nixon"

Not that much apparently. Especially the part about the coverups being worse than the crime.

Have you noticed? That part seems to be it's own little epidemic among Republicans.

#14 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-05-10 01:22 AM | Reply

Too bad he didn't learn how to resign for the good of the nation.

#15 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-05-10 12:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

History question here. Maybe someone can help me. I'm genuinely curious and looking for as non partisan an answer as possible.

In my Communications class, I often show Reagan's 1976 RNC speech where he calls for party unity after a contentious primary between him and Gerald Ford. As Ford introduces Reagan, who does the typical thanking of everybody at the start of the speech, who is hanging out on the stage like party royalty? Richard Nixon! What gives? Was there a moment of forgiveness in the party after he resigned? Did the scandal just blow over by then? I would've assumed he'd be a pariah still at that point. This was 5 years before I was born and about 30 years before I feel like I really started to understand politics, so I have nothing for a frame of reference.

#16 | Posted by dylanfan at 2020-05-10 09:59 PM | Reply

News to me, but not surprising.

Reagan also gave us the Eleventh Commandment, maybe at that same event, which A Republican shall not speak ill of another Republican.

The Grand Old Party is loyal to itself.

This is why it's so important to them for the Democrats to be Socialists and Communists, because they are automatically enemies of the United States, so it doesn't matter if the Republicans have to defy the Constitution to save America.

Fascism already came. It was Reagan wrapped in the flag, with Jerry Falwell carrying the cross.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-10 10:18 PM | Reply