Sunday, May 10, 2020

I just finished watching the 10-episode first season of Upload, which just got renewed for a second on Amazon Prime only seven days after its debut. The show's an oddball take on the afterlife in which anyone can be uploaded to a virtual world shortly before death and still interact with their loved ones. Robbie Amell plays a handsome but shallow app developer who dies under suspicious circumstances in his self-driving car. Andy Allo is his "angel," the tech support rep guiding him through his second life.

Comments

Glad to read that the show delivered! I saw the trailer online a few months ago and that sold me on checking out the series, but forgot about it with all the things going on these days. Looking forward to giving it a play this week.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-05-10 11:03 PM | Reply

A possible romantic comedy version of Black Mirror's dramatic "San Junipero?"

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-05-10 11:04 PM | Reply

Is Ted Williams there?

#3 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2020-05-10 11:14 PM | Reply

Ian Banks wrote a cluster of books that examined this question among many others. People in his books get bored and ask to be put into cold storage.

I think constant existence would eventually become a sort of hell, even if it took place in heaven.

Upload was fun. I found myself chuckling which I hardly do when I watch a show by myself.

#4 | Posted by dibblda at 2020-05-11 01:21 AM | Reply

I binged on it, it's a good show, entertaining and funny.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-11 08:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Fall or Dodge in Hell" by Neal Stephenson might be right up your alley.

#6 | Posted by SunTzuMeow at 2020-05-11 12:30 PM | Reply

Long Live Walter Jameson!

(Look it up)

#7 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2020-05-11 01:33 PM | Reply

Forever is a long time.

But a couple hundred years in a body that doesn't age even if it is digital? Sure. I'm in.

#8 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-05-11 03:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

We have to think about who we want to live forever.

Those that support themselves.....or those that....well...don't.

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2020-05-11 03:35 PM | Reply

"We have to think about who we want to live forever."

That's how you really think? That is just sad. Personally, if I thought that way, I'd be too embarrassed to admit it. It's so shallow, so priveleged, do you honestly think you earned everything you have without white privelege allowing you to? I used to have a modicum of respect for you, I just lost that little bit.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-12 08:22 AM | Reply