Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Upstate NY teacher pays $5,000 but keeps job after saying racial slur while teaching MacBeth'. One student was offended by his use of the word and was removed from class.

Comments

A parent found the word offensive, and the teacher was made to issue an apology to all parents of students in her class. The teacher did not use the actual N-word in that case, however.

So a parent doesn't know what niggardly means and the teacher needs to apologize?? Wow..what you accept, you promote.

#1 | Posted by homerj at 2020-05-12 02:35 PM | Reply

So are you upset you can't openly walk up to a black guy and call him the "N-word"?

#2 | Posted by a_monson at 2020-05-12 02:59 PM | Reply

Why are you posting this now?:

By Ben Axelson, syracuse.com 2/13/2020

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-12 08:38 PM | Reply

"Why are you posting this now?"

I just found out about it now. It's not that old.

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-05-13 12:56 AM | Reply

I remember in the late nineties, the word "niggardly" was a hot topic in the news. One of my university professors, who was an African-American immigrant, made a point to tell the class that this word was not in any way related to the racial slur which sounds similar. He was a great guy, who was very serious about spelling and grammar, because it was a writing emphasis class. It's sad that people are still making a fuss over this word. It's like complaining about the word kite or nickel.

#5 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-05-13 01:14 AM | Reply

The language police have no nuance. They are simple folk who just don't want to learn or expand their understanding of language. They want to tell people how to talk and enforce a rigid Orthodoxy of expression. Anything beyond that is just evil to them.

They suck. Living language is often pithy and challenges the shallow veneer we place on
civil discourse. These same people want to neuter Huckleberry Finn, because the N word is so prominent in that book. What they don't get is that in many ways that book is the most scathing indictment of racism ever penned. But they just can't get past the N word. It's too hard to dig deeper into the real depth and meaning behind the cover of vocabulary.

#6 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-13 01:46 AM | Reply

I struggle with this teaching English all the time. When I read Of Mice and Men or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, for example, I struggle with whether I actually say the word out loud or not. I've defaulted to saying it and providing the class a brief explanation of why I say the word (to address its power and its historical place, to figure out why it makes us uncomfortable, etc.) and then moving it. But it always sticks with me. I teach at an almost entirely white school where the limited number of students of color have expressed that they sense subtle racism from large contingents of the student body. I wonder about how it must feel to be the only student of color in class and to have your teacher say that word out loud. I don't use it unless it's a direct quote from the book, and even then I tend to only use it when I'm reading from the book and not when I'm talking about what a quote means. But still - that word has power, and as a middle aged white man, I'm not sure I'm in the best position to say what kind of power it should or should not have. I really struggle with it.

I also teach Macbeth. Students always need an explanation at this line. I would not have used the actual N-word to explain the difference. I can see being reprimanded, but fined $5000? That's a little ridiculous.

On a side note, the article said the teacher was suspended with pay for the first half of the 2019-2020 school year. Can you imagine being "off" for half a year and then coming back for less than a quarter and then having to deal with the -------- that is COVID-19 teaching? JTC.

#7 | Posted by dylanfan at 2020-05-13 05:19 PM | Reply