Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Former Vice President Joe Biden and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders on Wednesday named the co-chairs and members of their joint task forces meant to shore up Democratic Party unity ahead of November's general election. The announcement follows through on a pledge the two men made last month--when Sanders, the runner-up in the Democratic presidential primary, endorsed Biden, the party's presumptive nominee--to establish working groups to advise the Biden campaign on six key policy areas: climate change, criminal justice reform, economy, education, health care, and immigration.

Comments

One of Sanders' highest-profile supporters, Ocasio-Cortez, will be co-chairwoman of the climate change committee along with former Secretary of State John Kerry, who was a visible Biden surrogate. The economy committee will be headed by Karen Bass, a congresswoman from California, and Sara Nelson, president of the Association of Flight Attendants who has become a visible advocate for labor rights during the pandemic.

Virginia Rep. Bobby Scott is co-chairing the criminal justice committee, which also includes Eric Holder, former attorney general under President Barack Obama. Ohio Rep. Marcia Fudge is helping lead the education task force; California Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard is co-head of the immigration committee; and the health care group will be overseen by Washington Rep. Pramila Jayapal and former Surgeon General Vivek Murthy.

apnews.com

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-13 04:49 PM | Reply

Here's who's on each task force:

www.vox.com

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-13 05:02 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-05-15 12:13 AM | Reply

What is a "unity task force" aside from a marketing operation to avoid a repeat of 2016? Unless the DNC and Biden actually adopt and fight for the platform recommendations made by the people appointed to these task forces, this is just pandering.

#4 | Posted by JOE at 2020-05-15 06:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Joe, it's got the word "unity" in it. That engenders positive feelings in people.

"Unless the DNC and Biden actually adopt and fight for the platform recommendations made by the people appointed to these task forces, this is just pandering."

Their strategists tell them it's more important to make people feel like they've been heard than to actually give them what they say they need. But more importantly, it creates the idea that supporters of Sanders' policy proposals are being heard to people who are not supporters of Sanders' policy proposals so they can point to this task force in their efforts to vote shame them into supporting Biden.

#5 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-05-15 08:34 AM | Reply

"Excellent, I'm so curious who our next vice president will be. Stacey Abrams? Elizabeth Warren? Hillary Rodham itself?"

10 to 1 odds it's Klobuchar. And then if Democrats take the Senate Biden will resign before his term is over and the Klob selects Buttigieg as her VP.

#6 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-05-15 08:44 AM | Reply

"I know you are the kind of guy who is going to be inclusive," Sanders said during a video discussion with Biden. "You want to bring people in, even people who disagree with you. You want to hear what they have to say. We can argue it out. It's called democracy. You believe in democracy. So do I ... And in that regard, Joe, I very much look forward to working with you."

Shakir told Vox that spirit has continued as the two campaigns set out to build the task forces.

"They've been extremely amenable and accepting and not striking anybody for ideological reasons at all," Shakir said. "My own sense of it is they're really eager and hopeful this does work out quite well and people build this camaraderie."

I think Sanders people know they aren't going to get everything they want on these committees, but their hope is that they will be heard and get some of what they want. If not, we will hear about it, because folks like AOC aren't going to go quietly into that good night. Biden is taking an awful big chance that will be doomed to failure if he has no intention of compromising with Bernie's people and making concessions to them on at least some issues.

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-15 09:21 AM | Reply

#5 HAGBARD CELINE DION BIN LADIN MAKOWITZ

Pragmatic, unapologetic and skeptical.. I'm in love.

Now that they are choosing to conjoin it is unlikely the Biden group can squirm out from under progressive policies without directly contrasting the promise of this moment. I agree that they will try and can never be trusted, having some of our people on board allows some latitude of believability.

#8 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-05-15 09:26 AM | Reply

Stealing this from another thread because I think it may apply to me in this one:

"Tony, I think you're really superimposing your hopes onto the Biden campaign."

Biden has said he wants to be a transitional candidate (president?) to younger (more progressive voices?) in the Democratic party. I think he means that; I hope he does.

He has pledged to provide a M4A who want it option. I think most Democrats will hold his feet to the fire if he tries to renege on that promise. I know I will. But Democrats have to hold the House and win the Senate in order to make that a feasible outcome.

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-15 09:49 AM | Reply

"I think most Democrats will hold his feet to the fire if he tries to renege on that promise. I know I will."

Can you describe for me what that would look like? Sincere question.

#10 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-05-15 09:52 AM | Reply

#10 I would write to him and tell him I found it unacceptable to not provide a M4A who want it option. I would call my senators and representative and tell them the same. If there were rallies in my area protesting the issue, I would support them .

#11 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-15 09:56 AM | Reply

Oh, yeah, and I would bitch on here about it. ;)

#12 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-15 09:57 AM | Reply

"I would write to him and tell him I found it unacceptable to not provide a M4A who want it option."

#13 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2020-05-15 10:15 AM | Reply

"But that's not really true, is it? I mean, if you're not willing to withhold your vote then it is acceptable to you by definition, right?"

I don't understand what you are saying. Withhold my vote?

#14 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-15 10:22 AM | Reply

#13 I thought we were talking about "if Biden were president", which means I will have already voted. Biden has a M4A who want it option in his campaign platform, and I'm assuming that will be in the Democratic party's platform as well.

#15 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-15 10:29 AM | Reply

I went to the ER a few weeks ago because I suspected I had the Coronavirus. I didn't have it though they didn't even test me but I got tested a few days later. All they did was lecture me that I should not come to the ER unless I couldn't breath and at that time they would put me on a ventilator because that is the only tool they actually have to treat you. I apologized for showing up and went home. My insurance paid a couple hundred buck but I was billed another 1,000 dollars. By November millions of Americans are going to be facing medical bills they just can't pay and MforAll is going to be demanded so, if Biden wants to win he better get n board or get out of the race. Americans can't afford another President who won't provide the American people with healthcare that doesn't bankrupt us.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-15 10:36 AM | Reply

MforAll or else we can find a third party that the majority can actually support. Biden needs to hear us.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-15 10:38 AM | Reply

Unless he changes his position, Biden is for M4A who want it, not for M4A.

#18 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-15 10:45 AM | Reply

He did say last night in the interview with O'Donnell that he wants to have the govt pay for Cobra for those who are losing their healthcare. I think he also said he wants to have the govt pay for all Covid related healthcare costs for people who don't have insurance.

#19 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-15 10:49 AM | Reply

The pandemic is driving the policies that will emerge after the election. It's out of the politicians' hands at this point.

That is why trying to focus on policy proposals is a futile endeavor as the determinant force cannot be anticipated nor controlled by either party. Danni's example is why Americans will finally understand that PUBLIC health is just that, a PUBLIC issue, and that health care should not be tied to employment, it should be tied to citizenship. The people will force their representatives to reflect this, not the other way around. We are almost at the point where most recognize that in moments of real crisis, the essential workers in our economy don't work in ivory towers and take 3 martini lunches. They are the hardworking, underappreciated whose physical labor keeps this nation going and who no longer will be ignored.

I also see an America that now understands the need for production capacity within the US even if goods might cost more than imports from overseas. And in building this new industrial capacity, it makes no sense to use 20th century or earlier technologies, we'll create, expand and adopt new sustainable industrial techniques and processes that will remain both vital and viable for the future.

IMO, these things are going to happen due to events already in motion, even more so driven by the foresight of the generations poised to take command in the coming years.

So I don't need any candidate to pontificate on bromides for conditions that no longer exist. And even more so, none of them can predict with certainty what conditions will exist come election day and the months that follow. I want to see both an acknowledgment that nothing right now is certain and a complete willingness to let conditions dictate policy and not the other way around.

#20 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-15 11:02 AM | Reply

When every expert, be it doctors or scientists BEGGED people to only go to the ER if they displayed extreme fever, uncontrollable coughing and the most dire of symptoms. On the off chance they had COVID19 but minor symptoms, the risk of spreading it to the ER staff and other patients was very high and possibly deadly. Free testing was available by appt. When someone makes the decision they want immediate action and defies the expert advice, well that costs money.

#21 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2020-05-15 11:05 AM | Reply

Tony, great post. Only one problem.

"it should be tied to citizenship"

Non-citizens? What about them?

#22 | Posted by Petrous at 2020-05-15 03:28 PM | Reply