Thursday, May 14, 2020

The Wisconsin Supreme Court struck down Gov. Tony Evers's coronavirus stay-at-home order Wednesday, ruling that his administration overstepped its authority when it extended the mandate for another month without consulting legislators. The 4-3 ruling essentially reopens the state, lifting caps on the size of gatherings, allowing people to travel as they please and allowing shuttered businesses to reopen, including bars and restaurants.

Comments

While tele-conferencing from home.

#1 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-05-14 10:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

Republican Party is a death cult.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-14 11:29 AM | Reply

Republican Party is a death cult.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-14

People have a right to die for their concept of freedom, I suppose.

Wish they'd leave the innocent bystanders alone.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2020-05-14 12:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

But they can't open immediately...

The Court order doesn't say that.

#4 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-05-14 12:41 PM | Reply

But they can't open immediately...

The Court order doesn't say that.

The Court Order says that the stay at home order is "unlawful, invalid and unenforceable." They explicitly declined to stay their Order, the Chief Justice's incompetent writing style and confounding concurrence with her own majority opinion notwithstanding.

I found Judge Hagedorn's dissent to be refreshing. I'd forgotten what an actual judicial conservative looks like. You can tell the other four Republicans hate him for not being a mere political operative like they are.

#5 | Posted by JOE at 2020-05-14 01:09 PM | Reply

On behalf of normal Wisconsinites, I profoundly apologize for the State Supreme's idiocy.

#6 | Posted by john47 at 2020-05-14 02:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I hope every single one of these GOP judges gets COVID, and the wench who claimed that the brown people who process our food aren't "real folks" gets a double dose of it! Disgusting death cult!

#7 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2020-05-14 03:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I've come to realize that
most Republicans (who think
they are such Patriots),
are little more than Insurrectionists...

They want it their way,
all of the time. A Party
of Babies...

#8 | Posted by earthmuse at 2020-05-14 03:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#6 | POSTED BY JOHN47

Agreed. It's a catastrophe in the making. Like watch a slow motion train wreck.

We will miss you Wisconsin. You really had some great cheese.

#9 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-05-14 03:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

One frustrating thing about this decision is that the decisive vote was handed down by Judge Daniel Kelly, who already lost re-election in a landslide. State law allows him to keep hearing and deciding cases until August. Why?

I can see continuing to allow him to decide cases he has already heard. Otherwise, why not transition to his successor immediately?

#10 | Posted by JOE at 2020-05-14 03:28 PM | Reply

I think that Trump should schedule a rally in WI right away.

#11 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2020-05-14 04:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I think that Trump should schedule a rally in WI right away.

#11 | POSTED BY FEDUPWITHPOLS

Prophetic. That's very MAGA.

I also think he will run with this and let the chips fall where they may. Just like he did in 2016 with the Russians and then again with the Ukrainians. What a Perfect Call! He got away with it so why not? It is just natural that he keep going with MAGA. It's the only thing he is comfortable with. It's really the only thing he knows.

Good call.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-05-14 05:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

My guess is that djt has already had the Virus and lied about it to the public.

#13 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-05-14 05:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Gives new meaning to the phrase "I"m dying for a drink"...

#14 | Posted by catdog at 2020-05-15 09:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

My guess is that djt has already had the Virus and lied about it to the public.

#13 | POSTED BY MODER8

I doubt it.

There's no way that walking pile of susceptibilities had it and got through it with only a mild case.

And we would have seen it otherwise.

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2020-05-15 10:22 AM | Reply

The people of Puerto Rico went months without electricity, jobs, and running water.

Republicans couldn't go 4 weeks without a haircut, golf and bars.

That tells you all you need to know about the modern Republican.

#16 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-05-15 11:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The rich, ownership class, puts their judges in charge. Then they stay home and tell the middle and lower classes to work for them. I heard the bars were filled after this judgement.

#17 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-05-15 11:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That tells you all you need to know about the modern Republican.

#16 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

Considering most of them can use their bellies to hold extra magazines...we kind of already knew.

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2020-05-15 11:35 AM | Reply

My wife of many, many years and I are wrapping up our tenth week of staying home. She has health issues that make her particularly vulnerable to dying should she contract the COVID-19. I'm good. We plan to shelter in place indefinitely, as we care for each other more than going shopping. She will remain in the car, while I go into the store. Because I have demonstrated I am a moron, she prepares a list, and checks it against what I brought out of the store. We both wear masks when we leave the house.

#19 | Posted by john47 at 2020-05-15 12:03 PM | Reply

But, John, the court says you don't have to follow the State's orders.

Do what you have to do. We don't need politicians to explain to us what the medical professionals are telling us.

Politicians today make everything political. I don't make medical decisions based on politic.

#20 | Posted by Petrous at 2020-05-15 12:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I heard the bars were filled after this judgement.

That's because Wisconsin is filled to the brim with drunks.

#21 | Posted by JOE at 2020-05-15 12:22 PM | Reply

I heard the bars were filled after this judgement.

That's because Wisconsin is filled to the brim with drunks.

#21 | Posted by JOE at 2020-05-15 12:22 PM

Dear Joe,
I speak from experience; and many Wisconsinites are either active chronic drunks, or else they're recovering. There are drunks scattered all over the state; but they tend to be more prevalent in either neighborhood bars or else roadhouse bars out in the woods.
Best,
John47

#22 | Posted by john47 at 2020-05-16 09:46 AM | Reply

One of them posts here. You may not see his posts often because he hides in The Nooner, occasionally popping his head out to hurl some juvenile, Andrew Dice Clay-wannabe one liner insult, like calling people "Father Time" (although he is not young himself, but would like others to think he is).

#23 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-16 11:52 AM | Reply

#22 Thanks for sharing. I live in Wisconsin too. Not sure if that was supposed to be a retort to my post or just adding some flavor? Take care.

#24 | Posted by JOE at 2020-05-16 12:06 PM | Reply

"I, like you, don't need State orders to know what I need to do for the sake of my family."

If you don't have good data then you are just guessing as to what the right thing to do is.

If you you don't know where the virus is you are rolling the dice.

But, that is all fine if you like to gamble with your life and the lives of your loved ones.

You cannot possibly know what you need to do know to be safe without testing and surveillance so you know where to go or not go or where to be very careful or where you can relax.

If you have no radar you cannot tell where the next Virus attack will be.

Good luck. I hope you are assuming everyone has it until you turn the lights on.

Unfortunately, when you are fighting a deadly enemy in the dark the odds are NOT in your favor.

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-05-16 12:52 PM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY PETROUS

Why should the state tell anyone what to do?

I like getting really drunk and driving my car. Why should the state tell me I can't? I don't like wearing my seatbelt either, why should I wear it? Why are there speed limits? I should be able to drive as fast as I want. This is America. This is my choice!

#26 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-05-16 01:27 PM | Reply

You misread Clown. What would your doctor say about getting drunk and driving your car?

The medical expert would advise you are taking a great risk and not do it.

I thought I was quite clear. I don't need the State giving me medical advice when medical professionals already are.

So the State was told they cant force people to stay at home per the courts. I dont need the State or Court to advise me whether it is wise to stay home.

Everything in life isnt a political decision.

#27 | Posted by Petrous at 2020-05-16 01:44 PM | Reply

#27 That's ridiculous.

You're saying we don't need the State to burden us with drunk driving laws, since medical advice should be enough to stop the problem!

Do you have a gun in your home, Petrous? You know that your doctor advises against that, right?

Do you drink alcohol? You know your doctor advises against that, right?

You're a sick joke.

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-16 01:50 PM | Reply

#27 | Posted by Petrous

You may be prudent, but many others are not. They're being told by right wing bubble their freedoms are being infringed via measures health experts say are necessary to prevent millions of deaths in America. They believe pundits over scientists and medical experts.

Hell, Trump just said testing isn't a good thing because it means more cases being reported. That we should just reopen the economy without adequate testing and contact tracing, the health and well being of millions of Americans be damned.

Armed, mask-free protesters who don't practice social distancing. This is what the right wing bubble is stirring up.

Consider this:

Australia and Florida have about the same populations and demographics.

- Australia has had 7000 cases and 98 deaths.
- Florida has had 44,000 cases and nearly 2000 deaths

The difference? Australia has followed up the science with good faith public health measures, testing, and contact tracing.

America's president has sought to minimize the magnitude of this COVID-19 pandemic at every turn, and his followers have taken his lead. They are not listening to scientists and medical professionals as you've indicated you are.

#29 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-16 02:07 PM | Reply

It should also be noted that the U.S. has 5% of the world's population and 33% of the COVID-19 cases.

That is purely because of failed leadership who chose to be unprepared, then minimized the danger this pandemic posed until it was irrefutable, and who still choose to take the necessary steps to bring our daily numbers down.

Steps other countries with competent leadership have taken, with diminished case numbers to prove it.

Our daily case numbers are still right about where they were six weeks ago.

April 4th: 25,717
May 15th: 25,368

www.google.com

#30 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-16 02:17 PM | Reply

who still choose to refuse to take the necessary steps to bring our daily case numbers down.

#31 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2020-05-16 02:18 PM | Reply

So the State was told they cant force people to stay at home per the courts

The State DHA director was told that she has to go through a rulemaking process to do it, rather than by issuing an order.

Try reading next time instead of making ---- up.

#32 | Posted by JOE at 2020-05-16 02:32 PM | Reply