Friday, May 15, 2020

Capping a day in which he appeared with two Democratic women in the running to be his vice president, Joseph R. Biden Jr. said on Thursday night that he did not remember Tara Reade, the woman who has accused him of sexual assault, and said that Americans "probably shouldn't vote for me" if they believe the accusation, which he has strenuously denied.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Comments

Also Thursday night, Mr. Biden indicated that he would not pardon President Trump if elected " "absolutely, yes, I commit," he said, when asked if he would commit to not pardoning the president, and to the idea that no one is above the law.

Biden was asked to comment on an op-ed written by a woman entitled "
I Believe Tara Reade(.) I'm Voting for Joe Biden(.)" and this was his reply.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-15 09:47 AM | Reply

Biden sounds good here. A man of self reflection and honest character. Light years beyond the whining boasting, blabbermouth whose only concerns are his image and his capital gains.

If Biden can sustain his momentum he will beat the ogre. My vote is going to be with him.

#2 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-15 10:04 AM | Reply

Interesting article by someone who is no fan of Biden:

Tara Reade's Dubious Claims and Shifting Stories Show the Limits of #BelieveWomen

quillette.com

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2020-05-15 10:54 AM | Reply

After reading multiple articles about Reade and Biden's former staff members, it's easy to understand why Biden said what he did.

Basically he's putting his reputation up against hers, then saying "Based on what you see, who looks more believable to you?"

And with the known facts all on the table, the answer is fairly obvious.

Which is why Joe said what he did.

#4 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-15 08:51 PM | Reply

It's convinced me and I'm not sure why it did. He just seems decent And humble. After 3 years of empty boasting it's what we need. Maybe Joe, flaws and all is worth it. I know I'm voting for him now.

#5 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-16 08:12 PM | Reply

The only people he's addressing are Democrats who might not show up on election day.

Republicans wouldn't vote for him anyway.

#6 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-05-16 09:42 PM | Reply

Republicans wouldn't vote for him anyway.
#6 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON

There's also a good deal of independent voters he's addressing.

#7 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-05-16 09:49 PM | Reply

Tony,

You misquoted Biden's comment.

Biden didn't say "I Wouldn't Vote For Me If I Believed Tara Reade"

He said he "probably shouldn't vote for me"

Changing the "should" to "would" and dropping the "probably" from your headline is incorrect.

His using the word "probably" shows even his "explanation" lacks a firm commitment to the issue of sexual harassment.

#8 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2020-05-16 10:16 PM | Reply

#6 Lincoln project republicans will vote for Biden. They won't for the evil of Trump cultists.

Mourning in America.

#11 | Posted by bored at 2020-05-16 10:44 PM | Reply

You can't read. The statement in the title is Biden's direct quote. You are referring to another comment that he made on the same subject."I think they should vote their heart," he said on MSNBC, asked about his message to voters who had been inclined to support him but believed the Reade allegation. "I wouldn't vote for me if I believed Tara Reade."I'll be waiting for your apology seeing as how you just wrongly accused me of something I didn't do.

Crassus,

You too lack reading comprehension skills. Don't leave off the sentence right before where your copying started:

You obviously haven't done this because if you did you would see that this conclusion is based on the totality of known facts regarding both Biden and Reade, particularly her now uncovered checkered history of lying/deceiving others and intentionally misrepresenting things to her own advantage.

Save your ire for somewhere it's deserved. Ignorance is not bliss as it regards you, it's simply stupidity and arrogance. Biden fully allows people to decide who they believe on their own. He just has the honesty to say if he were in the camp that believed Reade over himself, he wouldn't vote for himself either - if he were in that camp. The questioner was asking him what he'd say to those who believed that he had done what Reade has alleged. So he was answering a direct question in which he unhesitatingly replied that he had nothing to say to those people except give them his word that he did not do what she accused him of.

#13 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-16 10:46 PM | Reply

and what the heck does this mean? You are impressed with Biden? You believe Biden, you just over look biden or you make Reade look like the political liar?

#15 | Posted by Crassus at 2020-05-16 11:00 PM | Reply

There is nothing partisan in my observations. 74 Biden staffers were interviewed, including 64 women. None of them reported anything like Reade alleged. A former prosecutor wrote a long piece, pained to agree that Reade's story was not credible based on FACTS, not partisanship. The location she described where the attack took place does not exist, there are no alcoves or places along the heavily traveled pathway where she said she was attacked. No one in the office corroborates that she ever made or filed any complaint, and none can be found in Congress' records where it should be.

Biden didn't allow staffers to even schlep coffee and drinks (whether they were male or female) because he never wanted to create an office culture where they were serving him. Biden didn't do fundraisers, and one of the chief office rules is that staff could not attend them either. So her story that she fell in to disfavor because of refusing to serve drinks at a fundraiser falls completely apart as a bald-faced lie. Many of the elements of Reade's story have been definitively refuted by dozens of people that were there when she was, including the fact that her supervisor says she was let go for cause because she sloughed off her work duties. The prosecutor believes this is why she created the story as cover for the real reason she lost her job.

Those are the reasons why I say that Biden asks people to compare the facts of the stories and make up their own minds. And he is confident that those who do so impartially will find his denial as more substance than Reade's allegations.

You can take your personal criticisms of my character and stick them where you have none yourself.

#16 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-16 11:06 PM | Reply

and what the heck does this mean?

It means that I've read multiple, independent reports on the subject.

It means that I'm making my decision from collected knowledge, not emotion and certainly not partisanship. There is nothing partisan about an assault allegation. But there are things called either corroborating evidence or exculpatory evidence. And more of the latter now exists than the former - with much of the former falling into question based upon how and when it first emerged and/or has changed as the story morphed from Reade's own tellings.

#18 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-16 11:15 PM | Reply

Whatever dude. If it get you through the night.

Just like Biden, I'm very content in the skin I'm in.

Your whack off box is of your own creation. Have fun flagellating yourself.

#19 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-16 11:18 PM | Reply

Well done Joe Biden. I like how he's showing how he's different from Trump.

#20 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-05-17 12:37 AM | Reply

Obviously Creepy is confident that minions have covered the tracks and the media allies do their duties..

#21 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2020-05-17 04:15 AM | Reply

Crassus Tony was the one who posted the NYT article that Reade's allegations should be investigated. I haven't read much about it, unlike the rest of America I have still been working so, I'm behind in news. Tony has been on this since the beginning, so when he says he has read multiple sources on this I'm inclined to believe him.

Not to say I agree with his assessment, I haven't read enough to have an opinion, but to say that he is strictly being partisan is bunk. Yes he is a bit partisan that is human nature, but I also believe that if the evidence was strongly for Reade Tony would be calling for the DNC to nominate someone other than Biden.

#22 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-05-17 07:14 AM | Reply

Biden's fallback position when he doesn't want to talk about something is to tell people not to vote for him.

He said anyone concerned about his age shouldnt vote for him.

He said anyone concerned about deportations under the Obama administration should vote for Trump.

He told a critic of his climate positions to vote for someone else.

And now this. It's a common refrain. I find it mildly insulting.

#23 | Posted by JOE at 2020-05-17 07:34 AM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY CRASSUS

Oh look.

A Trump voter on his moral high horse.

Crassus. You support a man that makes Biden look like a saint.

Go fffk yourself.

#24 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-05-17 10:56 AM | Reply

In the case of Reade, the overwhelming weight of evidence suggests no sexual assault occurred. To conclude she is telling the truth, you would have to believe that, for the first and only time in his career, Biden decided to assault a woman in a fully visible spot in the Capitol. Reade, as previously reported, repeatedly modified her story. At one point she claimed the assault had been documented in a written complaint. After Biden denied the incident, she said come to think of it, the complaint wouldn't have included the assault portion. There was plenty here to set off alarm bells. Sure enough, the more media entities investigated, the more flaky Reade's story seemed.

PBS published a massive investigation on Friday, which included interviews with 74 former Biden staffers, 62 of them women. Rather than any hint of impropriety, "people who spoke to the NewsHour described largely positive and gratifying experiences working for Biden, painting a portrait of someone who was ahead of his time in empowering women in the workplace." (Some did, however, acknowledge his nonsexual touchy-feely conduct, for which Biden has apologized.) In addition, the investigation spoke to a staffer who sat next to Reade and "told the NewsHour that Reade was fired for her poor performance on the job, which he witnessed " not as retaliation for her complaints about sexual harassment."

In sum, Reade's story is riddled with inconsistencies. There are plenty of contemporaneous witnesses (including those who would have received a complaint and say they did not) to dispute her allegations. Questions about her credibility abound.

www.washingtonpost.com

#25 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-17 11:08 AM | Reply

I find it mildly insulting.

#23 | POSTED BY JOE AT 2020-05-17 07:34 AM | FLAG:

It's actually the right response to the gotcha media. You should be insulted by the ------ who bring up Tara when she has zero credibility. Same with the other issues - there is no intelligent discussion, so why should he bother? They already concluded that they don't want to vote for him. You're a particularly funny one though because you wanted to vote for Bernie and he was selling some unicorn dust religion. Either you're willing to join the mass delusion or not, but you can't say that Joe Biden should dance to whatever tune you're singing at the moment.

#26 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-05-17 07:31 PM | Reply