Friday, May 15, 2020

When McDonald's restaurants reopen their dining rooms, customers should expect stickers on the floor encouraging social distancing and the closure of self-serve beverage bars. Workers wearing masks might check in with a thumbs up, or kindly ask you to move away from others.

Comments

Fast food should simply put drive up windows on both sides of the building, a walk up window at the front and picnic tables 15 feet apart in the parking lot. Why open the inside at all?

#1 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-05-15 11:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Weather/Climate.

Some of us live where you don't want to be outside in the Summer/Winter.

Not that I care - I can't see sitting anywhere eating where other people are near me. Won't do it. No thank you. Especially if it's a windy day. One good sneeze or cough from someone carrying it and me being downstream? No thank you!

And what is with these idiots in Wisconsin at the bars, drinking and talking in each other's faces?

#2 | Posted by YAV at 2020-05-15 11:15 AM | Reply

You just described Rally's/Checkers.

#3 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-05-15 11:17 AM | Reply

Rally's/Checkers, unfortunately, does cause comorbidities.

#4 | Posted by YAV at 2020-05-15 11:28 AM | Reply

Why open the inside at all?
#1 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT

I read a sad statistic that the McD dining rooms were the largest provider of high speed Internet in many rural US locations.

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-05-15 11:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The few old 1950's drive-ins still around here in Charlotte are getting tons of business right now. It's a concept that could make a huge comeback.

www.charlotteobserver.com

#6 | Posted by qcp at 2020-05-15 11:35 AM | Reply

I'll just stay in my car and eat that garbage when I'm out. I wear a mask at the window out of courtesy to the employees. I try to be nice to all the employees at the Publix I shop at, they deserve some respect for their willingness to work out in public during this Pandemic.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-15 11:39 AM | Reply

If the weather is a problem then take it home.

Maybe others feel differently, but I certainly don't go to any of those places for the sit-down dining experience anyway. If I go, and it's rare, I go because I'm genuinely in a hurry.

#8 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-05-15 11:41 AM | Reply

#6 - Sonic

Steak-n-Shake should go back to their original format!
I used to love their drive-in.

#9 | Posted by YAV at 2020-05-15 11:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#5 | POSTED BY GONOLES92

Where I live, people can get WiFi outside of libraries and schools.

#10 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2020-05-15 11:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 | POSTED BY GONOLES92

When I'm on the road on the scoot, that's the first place I look for to go online. There and Starbucks never care if you buy anything.

#11 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-05-15 02:42 PM | Reply

In my town there are a few motels that never change passwords and have excellent speed/latency stats that rival $90/mo. cable data performance.
I've got a long-distance wifi yagi antenna into a Pepwave client router (wifi as wan) that does well without checking into a room.
The local McDonalds is still stuck on 2.4gHz, has an agreement screen and frequent disconnects. Some fast food restaurants disconnect after 30 minutes of use.

It says something about data coverage in the US when rural areas have spotted availability, not because of the lack of broadband data but the often leveraged out-of-existence
wifi access points by major data providers that scream to municipalities about spectrum scarcity and open access abuse. You know, everything they dare not say when providers are selling the same service to households and businesses.

#12 | Posted by LesWit at 2020-05-15 02:57 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY WHATSLEFT

You mean...Sonic?

We also have Burger Street in Dallas that operates the same way (also...some of the best burgers on Earth).

#13 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-05-15 05:30 PM | Reply