Saturday, May 16, 2020

Michigan Rep. Justin Amash announced on Twitter he will not run for president: "After much reflection, I've concluded that circumstances don't lend themselves to my success as a candidate for president this year, and therefore I will not be a candidate. This was a difficult decision for me, especially having seen grassroots supporters put so much effort into this campaign. It's been humbling and awesome. I continue to believe that a candidate from outside the old parties, offering a vision of government grounded in liberty and equality, can break through in the right environment. But this environment presents extraordinary challenges."

Comments

Dang.

#1 | Posted by a_monson at 2020-05-16 02:21 PM | Reply

"circumstances don't lend themselves to my success as a candidate for president this year"

This year isn't good.
Better luck in 2021!

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-16 02:25 PM | Reply

Three predictions:
1. Justin will endorse Biden.
2. An orange ---- fart will spew crazy all over twitter.
3. Those that claimed they would vote for Amash as POTUS will suddenly attack him.

#3 | Posted by bored at 2020-05-16 02:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Did he not want to be associated with the freedom loving Michiganders who tell us not to live in fear, as they carry guns in public because of their fear?

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-16 03:02 PM | Reply

Now I'm definitely voting Biden. I was before this anyway. But now it's for sure. Biden 2020.

#5 | Posted by Effeteposer at 2020-05-16 03:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I wonder how much profit he made by dropping his candidacy?

#6 | Posted by kudzu at 2020-05-16 04:08 PM | Reply

That was fast.

#7 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2020-05-16 04:28 PM | Reply

PPPFFFTTTT!!!!!!

Yeah nothing like a failure of capitalism to take the steam out of the libitaricl0wn bullet points when heading towards election season. Kinda hard talking about laissez faire while entering depression era unemployment coupled with a huge loss of life... eh pig brains?
I wanted to see some free market twerp dial back the two largest government spending plans and corporate giveaways in US history. Nothing like being in the middle of a major abandonment of free market principals when the whole free market thingie is tattered.

The republicl0wn in chief was focused on tariffs, and trade wars instead of the corona virus... which is pretty much what a libertaricl0wn would do.

This action on his part just shows he less stupid than Trumplethinskin.

#8 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-05-16 04:37 PM | Reply

#8 Libertarians are kind of evaporating now that pot is legal in so many places, and the need for a robust welfare state is so glaringly obvious, brought to the fore by the pandemic.

It's always been a catch-all for disaffected well to do middle class white men.

Libertarians who managed to get with a woman and start families are just Democrats now.

Libertarians who are crusty old incels before incels were cool have always been Deplorables, they just didn't know it until now.

And that is fine. It's long past time they choose sides. Libertarianism a woefully provincial pre-industrial ideology to begin with, and it simply just doesn't scale to the modern world.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-16 04:45 PM | Reply

Libertarians are kind of evaporating now that pot is legal in so many places

Fair point but still not legal in my state :(

I'm a libertarian and I was one of the first on this blog to argue for UBI. I also support some form of universal health care. Those positions are not inconsistent with libertarianism. What too many forget is that a libertarian is not an anarchist. UBI is much more limited government than our sprawling welfare state. Universal health care could also be less government than our multiple agencies designed to provide health care for various groups.

It's always been a catch-all for disaffected well to do middle class white men.

I'll admit to that when I became a libertarian.

Nope still a libertarian but I do lean more democratic than republican but a lot of that is because republicans have lost their damn minds.

It can scale but it must be willing to adapt (see UBI and UHC) I will admit most libertarians are not flexible enough in their thinking to do that.

#10 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-05-16 05:21 PM | Reply

It can scale but it must be willing to adapt (see UBI and UHC)

^
How are those things compatible Libertarianism? Seems like the antithesis of libertarianism to me.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-16 05:49 PM | Reply

I think he saw polls that show him pealing off some of the disaffected GOPers who won't vote for Dotard but would vote for Vice President Biden if there's no other reasonable choice. What this does though is ensures that some down-ticket GOPers will get fewer votes, because some of those disaffected GOPers will stay home rather than show up and vote for either Diaper Donnie or a Democrat. So this is good news for Dems all the way around.

#12 | Posted by _Gunslinger_ at 2020-05-16 05:50 PM | Reply

Because you have been listening to too many of the incel versions of libertarians who are more anarchist or at least anarcho capitalist (thanks corky)

Libertarianism accepts the need for government but limited and for the most part bureaucracy is the worst kind of government to a libertarian. So our massive welfare state which is primarily a bureaucratic system is horrible. Yet it serves the common good so how to make it less bureaucratic and more libertarian? UBI is the easy answer. No means testing, no re-certifications no bureaucrats deciding who does and does not deserve assistance.

Same with health care.

#13 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-05-16 06:01 PM | Reply

Tao I don't understand how you can refer to yourself as a Libertarian and support the things you do at the same time. You're basically a Democrat but I guess it doesn't feel as cool but that's still what you are. We're very glad and proud to have you in our party, I still remember when you thought of running for office. I'd still vote for you if I could. One of the wisest voices here, I think almost universally here you are respected for your good, solid common sense.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2020-05-16 06:12 PM | Reply

Danni almost every American is to some degree a libertarian.

I have spent years trying to explain my view of government to people yet have never been successful at articulating it. I basically boil it down to this (not fully accurate but as best I have been able to do) I follow the law I agree with, with the full knowledge and acceptance of what the state will do to me if I am caught breaking the laws I don't agree with.

As far as running for office it's still in the back of my head. I've actually been toying with the idea of starting my 2024 campaign in November. I'm thinking a slow social media build will be required since I have 0 money and 0 name recognition. Maybe make a couple youtube "ads" some twitter posts try and get people I know to retweet and link and maybe by 2022 enough people will have heard my message to begin fundraising and real campaigning. I don't know though, that's basically what Yang did and well, we see how well that worked for him, and he had money.

If the president were a dictator (who knows with 4 more years of DT...) My first act would be end corporate personhood in a way the supreme court couldn't overturn. Second act UBI. Third UHC. Fourth resign and let someone competent lead. Since the president isn't a dictator I would probably have to serve a full term and build consensus in congress hopefully by winning a huge portion of the electorate and using those votes as both carrot and stick.

#15 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-05-16 06:37 PM | Reply

Good for him for realizing it would be a waste of monetary and political capital, and it would be a wiser strategy to build upon what he's currently accomplished (first Libertarian candidate in Congress) until he or that party raises its national profile to the point where they can't be gamed out of the system.

#16 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-05-16 06:42 PM | Reply

No surprise. The Amish don't even drive cars or use Twitter. And those long beards are so out of style. He never had a chance.

#17 | Posted by cbob at 2020-05-16 06:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"I have spent years trying to explain my view of government to people yet have never been successful at articulating it."

It shows.

"I follow the law I agree with, with the full knowledge and acceptance of what the state will do to me if I am caught breaking the laws I don't agree with."

Sounds white A.F.
You don't see the police as predators.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-16 08:31 PM | Reply

"My first act would be end corporate personhood in a way the supreme court couldn't overturn."

To make it un-reviewable, that would require a Constitutional amendment.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-05-16 08:35 PM | Reply

I'm sure a team of lawyers could word it so it could stand up to any challenge but an amendment would be better.

If the people let Congress know that their jobs were on the line you could maybe get them to propose an amendment, if they were to pass it requiring ratifying conventions then, I believe most states have special elections for those which would allow you to bypass resistant state legislatures. It is a long shot for sure but electing a fireplace service tech as president might get politicians attention.

It would probably require creating a whole new party with that as a specific plank in the platform and a coordinated effort to run people all the way down ballot to state lawmakers in all 50 states. A big push in one election year before it could get co-opted. Not a Ron Paul Revolution or a Bernie Sanders revolution or a TaoWarrior revolution but an Eliminate Corporate Personhood revolution. 100 million Americans all standing up at once and saying that's all we can stands we can't stands no more.

You may say I'm a dreamer...

#20 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-05-16 09:52 PM | Reply

#18 Sounds white A.F.
You don't see the police as predators.

Sorry didn't mean to skip that.

Very true. I am one who recognizes the disparity. Sure I benefit from the broken system but that doesn't mean I'm unaware. My wife has always had issues with police and my middle son does as well (he has been pulled over 4 times in the last 3 months and only one time has he been in any kind of violation. Last time was because he was suspicious and driving my minivan they thought he stole it. So it is an issue that concerns me. One wrong move or remark on my son's part and I could end up visiting him in the jail or god forbid the morgue.

As president I couldn't change the underlying attitudes but I could have a justice department with more balanced mindset that would be willing to prosecute police in gross violation. Hopefully that would begin to change attitudes. Also as a libertarian I would move laws and enforcement to a pro-citizen stance than pro-state stance.

#21 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2020-05-16 10:29 PM | Reply

Amash, LOL...I didn't even know he was running and would venture a guess that 90% of the country didn't know either.

#22 | Posted by Crassus at 2020-05-16 10:35 PM | Reply

Libertarianism if for simple minded people who thinks solutions should be simple so their brains can comprehend them.

Unfortunately the world and its problems aren't simple.

#23 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-05-18 12:04 PM | Reply