Saturday, May 16, 2020

Fred Willard has died. He was 86. The comedic star, whose numerous credits include Best in Show, This Is Spinal Tap, Everybody Loves Raymond and Modern Family, died of natural causes, a rep for the actor confirms to PEOPLE.

Comments

Bummer.

One of his best gigs:

Jerry Hubbard

#1 | Posted by Angrydad at 2020-05-16 03:39 PM | Reply

I first remember him in Mary Hartman and Fernwood Tonight.

Born in 1933, wow. Good run.... he still good in Modern Family, same guy.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2020-05-16 08:24 PM | Reply

He taught me early on...stupidity is comedy.
Rest easy Jerry Hubbard.

#3 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-05-16 09:30 PM | Reply

And for the record, I would never link to People Magazine.

#4 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-05-16 09:36 PM | Reply

Funny guy.

RIP.

#5 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-05-16 09:41 PM | Reply

One of the all-time greats at playing a character in a mockumentary.

I can remember Willard all the way back to Fernwood Tonight, a fake talk show that aired in 1977. He was the announcer/sidekick to Martin Mull as the host.

Most recently I enjoyed him on Modern Family as the goofball dad and kindred spirit of Phil Dunphy. It was perfect casting. Ironically his character died in the final season.

The number of movie and TV gigs he got in his seventies was enormous.

#6 | Posted by rcade at 2020-05-17 09:47 AM | Reply

Loved his work. Kind of low key, smart, often walking the line between parody and pathos. Sort of the way I feel about life in 2020.

#7 | Posted by cbob at 2020-05-17 07:54 PM | Reply