Sunday, May 17, 2020

Where dozens once flourished, Doug Corwin is the last remaining duck farmer on Long Island. "Great grandfather started growing ducks on property family had since 1600s back in 1908," Corwin told CBS2's Jennifer McLogan. For more than a century, Crescent Duck Farm in Aquebogue has been producing a million ducks a year. He used to sell 3,000 ducks per week. Now it's down to 25 boxes. "I hope we can keep it as part of our culinary diversity that we have," he said. "I feel a responsibility for that and hope we can move forward."

Comments

I like duck, but it is greasy. My relatives down in Louisiana prepare it with a rice and vegetable bed to soak up the copious amounts of oil. Of course, Cajuns will eat just about anything. Crayfish Etouffee is one of my favorites, or as my aunt calls it Mud Bug in Cream Sauce. Gumbo on Saturday night, before "la fee doe doe" and Cherry Poke as a night cap. The Gumbo becomes the base for Jambalaya for a couple of days. Is a high fat diet good for you? No, but eating, loving and laughing is the only thing that makes life worth living, at least to the Comeaux family.

#1 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-05-17 10:12 AM | Reply

Back in the day, my brother-in-law and I would go to this little place out in the NJ Pine Barrens called Clayton's Log Cabin. Somehow, it specialized in German Food. However, my brother-in-law said I should order the Long Island Duck, but we'd have to come back tomorrow night to eat it, as it had to be ordered from this duck farm. It was delicious, had crispy skin, and had a special cherry sauce with it. Yummy. I stopped duck hunting because I just couldn't take the taste of the wild ones. Tastes like the bugs and seaweed they munch on.

#2 | Posted by Spork at 2020-05-17 03:27 PM | Reply

And here I thought Spork might actually be that last duck farmer. He just gives off that redneck vibe.

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2020-05-17 03:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Better that than the lawyer stink you exude.

#4 | Posted by Spork at 2020-05-17 04:04 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2020-05-17 10:12 AM | REPLY

I was born and raised in South Louisiana. My great great grandfather was a duck and goose guide in Guydan/ White lake area.

#5 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-05-17 05:06 PM | Reply

Love duck.

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-05-17 05:52 PM | Reply

Long Island is a bit too short to be farming on.

Seriously, it's not appropriate. Farm somewhere else, where there's cheap land.

Want to know why housing prices are so high near cities? It's crap like this, where people are farming on land that should have been high rise apartments decades ago.

#7 | Posted by DarkVader at 2020-05-17 07:30 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by DarkVader How high do you want to make them? Long Island is not Manhattan. Three of the five boroughs and most the population covers the western quarter of the island and the commute is a bear, according to those who have told me about it. So you want the city to expand east while the city it's self is losing population? About 100,000 a year? en.wikipedia.org

#8 | Posted by docnjo at 2020-05-18 09:13 AM | Reply